PDA

View Full Version : slight oil leak !

SGHOM
30-08-2003, 09:51 PM
there's a blue peter badge, & a pint, for anyone who can tell me how much transmission fluid I put in my legnum on a 260 trip ?

Kieran
30-08-2003, 09:57 PM
You posted earlier about the gearbox seal leaking, right?

No Idea... I'll open up batting at 1 Litre, for a guess...

SGHOM
30-08-2003, 10:08 PM
nice try, but no cigar !!! I think my gearbox is attached to the engine with an elastic band :D it took 7 litres of atf to get me home !! thats 1.5 litres [ approx ] at every other service station. Michael Wood services on the M5, saw my gearbox smoking real bad :Cry1: the back door was splattered with oil !! I pray to god that my warranty covers the repair !! if not, any idea how much it might be to replace the seal ??

Brind
30-08-2003, 11:45 PM
It took 7 litres?

Damn I good... thanks for my badge! ;)

Who stole your nodding dog?

Kieran
31-08-2003, 10:18 PM
Good Grief:INSERT INTO post VALUES ( - Fingers crossed mate!

Keep us posted

SGHOM
01-09-2003, 04:46 PM
just booked my car in at mitsy dealers in Sheffield, & they say it's not covered by my warranty. :Cry1: so a bit of sweet talking may be forthcoming to actually find fault with the box, so that I dont have to pay !! but it's not looking good. If that is bad enough, the last few days have not been the best I've had !! cut my holiday short because of unrully kids. limped the car home in 7 hrs from Dorset, lost pedigree cat, [ thanks to kids ] & went to work to get away from it all, only to find the premises broken into, & all my tools & equipment stolen. £000's of. :Cry1: :Cry1:

Brind
01-09-2003, 06:48 PM
Unlucky mate.. :INSERT INTO post VALUES (
I know what you mean about the tools, it's happened so many times to my mates, one of my mates, bought a huge bolt down tool safe for his van to find his van nicked shortly after, van was recovered while the chest was wrenched out. :mad: leaving the van virtually unharmed, luckily it has only happened once to us, we use an estate car so it isn't so obvious what we carry, but even still we bring tools home every night and bring 'em into the house.. everyday.. left a couple of bits in the car 'once' and they were stolen by the next day.. just shows the f**kers really are watching! :mad2:

They won't cover the seal in the gearbox? :eek: but the gearbox is a major component! if the seal isn't done then gearbox becomes shot! :rolleyes: they'd have to replace it then.. :) could be the way to go.. let it drink oil without refiilling and rev high at every chance.. say you didn't notice damage until the gearbox seized. :D

Nick VR4
01-09-2003, 08:01 PM
Sorry to hear about all your grief :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

zedy1
01-09-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Brind
Unlucky mate.. :INSERT INTO post VALUES (
I know what you mean about the tools, it's happened so many times to my mates, one of my mates, bought a huge bolt down tool safe for his van to find his van nicked shortly after, van was recovered while the chest was wrenched out. :mad: leaving the van virtually unharmed, luckily it has only happened once to us, we use an estate car so it isn't so obvious what we carry, but even still we bring tools home every night and bring 'em into the house.. everyday.. left a couple of bits in the car 'once' and they were stolen by the next day.. just shows the f**kers really are watching! :mad2:

They won't cover the seal in the gearbox? :eek: but the gearbox is a major component! if the seal isn't done then gearbox becomes shot! :rolleyes: they'd have to replace it then.. :) could be the way to go.. let it drink oil without refiilling and rev high at every chance.. say you didn't notice damage until the gearbox seized. :D

sounds like a good idea

SGHOM
01-09-2003, 11:29 PM
in theory, yes. but just imagine the conseqeunces if I did that, & I aint covered ?? too risky. I think I'll just let them go ahesd & fix, & I'll argue the toss with the insurers.

Brind
02-09-2003, 12:37 AM
What warranty do you have?

If it's a Red Zebra warranty from Mitsubishi the gearbox is covered, whether it has to completely fail possibly causing an accident or a simple oil seal that could prevent that happening I think you have plenty to stand on!
Try going to another Mitsubishi dealership and ask them, it sounds a bit out of order to me mate!!

Pete INSERT INTO post VALUES (Sprirt) had his sorted without a problem on his warranty and it wasn't even Red Zebra!

Spirit
02-09-2003, 07:55 AM
Brind is right - Castlecroft Mitsy sorted mine out and I know my warranty didn't cover it - they did it from a customer service point of view :) The only thing is they obviously did it in between other jobs as it took 28 days to be done - but then it is perfect now and never seen a drop of oil since INSERT INTO post VALUES (/touches wood)

Pete

Roadrunner
02-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Mine was covered under the Red Zebra warranty. The seal is only about a tenner, the major expense is the gearbox removal, overhaul and replacement. Well worth pursuing the warranty route BEFORE any work is done, rather than coughing up the cash and trying to recover it.

Brian

SGHOM
03-09-2003, 04:55 PM
sort of got a result from my local Mitsy dealer !!:D the cars been checked over, & it's only the sump gasket causing the leak. checked the warranty, & it ain't covered. :Cry1: [ centurion insurance ] waste of paper !!! so, they are going to do the job, check there is no damage to the gearbox, & steam clean the engine and underside for me. parts £63, & labour £99. I dont think that is too bad do you ?? Also , I have slight misfire at low revs, & it sound like H T lead arcing, so they'll take a look at that 4 me also. Once the car is AOK, I'll get a red zebra warranty sorted. at a cost of £468.00. including as you know breakdown recovery. SO WHY THE HECK DID I JOIN THE AA LAST WEEK !!!!!!!!!:nono: :nono:

Nick VR4
03-09-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by interlec
I'll get a red zebra warranty sorted. at a cost of £468.00. including as you know breakdown recovery. SO WHY THE HECK DID I JOIN THE AA LAST WEEK !!!!!!!!!:nono: :nono:

No no no :nono: its not £468 Mits garage are charging the wrong price
The VR4 is now the same price as all 4wd cars etc

Its around £263

SGHOM
03-09-2003, 06:31 PM
your right Nickvr4. although the dealer rang up the warranty services to confirm the price of £468. having just looked at the litrature, it says "mits cars under 10 years & 100K miles with no existing warranty, £315 " .the special catagory vehicles listed @ £468, does not include the VR4. how much are the rest of you paying for your red zebra warranties ???

Brind
03-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Bought a Red Zebra car so won't know until I come to renew.