PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Galant GLS

Dusk
07-09-2005, 02:27 AM
^^ Hi guys, just bought a nice silver GLS with 72k on the clock, very nice - im not too fussed about performance, as soon as im 25 ill go down the vr4 route..
The Cam belt was changed at 55k - when would you guys change it next, on the big 100k? Its got full service history etc.. Is it a belt or a chain - as on my previous car it was a chain, and rule of thumb was to wait for the chain tentioners to rattle then to replace the chain.. Obviously this doesnt count when using a belt.. :thumbsup:

Im after getting some lowering springs and alloys too - thats all, not much...
What drop would you recommend, and would you recomment 17"s or 18"s (do 18s" scrub etc) i know its 5x114 - but whats the crack with the offset.. i dont want the wheels out the arches like my last car!! :-policema

Thanks very much for your feedback!
Ill post some pictures up soon...!

Kieran
07-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Hiya - Another GLS owner to the fold! :thumbsup:

The next cambelt change is at 108K. And it is a belt, not a chain. I think it would be wise to inspect the belt tensioner when the belt is done.

Springs.... only one choice really, and that's eibach. They're progressive and there's not a bad word to be said about them on here. If you lower your car, check the shocks too..... Standard OEM-spec shocks cope fine with a -30mm drop, but you'll probably find the originals are shot. And with Gas filled bilsteins at £46 per corner, it's not going to bust the bank either. :thumbsup:

Wheels. You can get 18s on there, but most people say that 17s offer the best looks/ride/handling compromise. Avoid the original Mitsubishi 'Sport' 17 inch wheels though. They are prone to buckling!

Enjoy! :chugchug:

DUNLY
07-09-2005, 09:20 AM
WOOOHOOOO another GLS Owener. were going to take over this site. ha ha.

. And with Gas filled bilsteins at £46 per corner, it's not going to bust the bank either. :thumbsup:

Enjoy! :chugchug:
Where would 1 purchase these, been hunting for ages, and the cheapest is been £82

Big Ian
07-09-2005, 09:41 AM
i know its 5x114 -
Thanks very much for your feedback!
Ill post some pictures up soon...!

GLS wheel size is 4x114
great car .............. :embarasse and i just sold mine!

Alscort
07-09-2005, 10:01 AM
WOOOHOOOO another GLS Owener. were going to take over this site. ha ha.

Where would 1 purchase these, been hunting for ages, and the cheapest is been £82

GLS for life. They are well underated tho. brill mota

am2801
07-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Hellooo, another GOOD LOOKIN' SALOON eh Kieran! Nice 1 Dusk.

'ere mate wot year is it? and wot cc is it?

After seeing several GLS's i think 17's sit just nice on 'em. b4 any1 says anything i know i've got 15's. trust me if i hadn't of got the s/s system last week it would've been new wheels, deffo 17's. i'll have to save up now for some!!

Dusk
07-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Yeah it is a saloon i forgot to mention ^^
Im picking it up tmw im only 21 so its my first big car ha ha..!
Might get some alloys depends if i can get some cheap ones on ebay - after doing a search on the forums i think ill just get some 17's and lower it - jobs a good'un

Ill post some pics when i get it - thx again for the help!

Bal
09-09-2005, 09:16 AM
GLSs all the way ...