PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a dehumidifier in my garage?

Jamo
31-08-2003, 10:35 AM
Hello All,

My VR-4 is garaged. But I sometimes hear stuff about cars rusting even quicker in a garage. Researching the net doesn't quite get me enough to decide one way or another.

Just before I got my VR-4, this workman was round and we got talking cars. He had a White Peugeot 405 M16 looking a bit like the one from that French film, Taxi. He wanted to see the Granada Cosworth I had in the garage.

But he started going on about the garage being terrible...that humidity would sweat up through the concrete or something and be worse to the car than leaving it outside.

Now I've the VR-4, I had a look at some dehumidifiers...they have to be of a certain standard for use out in the garage.

Do I really need one for a car this new INSERT INTO post VALUES (late 99)? Do any of you have them? Do any of you wonder about your garage?

...Jamo

Spirit
31-08-2003, 10:44 AM
:Cry1: :Cry1: :Cry1: Mine won't fit in our garage ! But, you have a valid point there mate - interested in the replies you get

Nick VR4
31-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Humidity or Damp in the garage I guess you mean

All garages tend to get cold and damp in winter anyway

Unless the car is going to sit in the garage for months not moving I wouldnt worry to much

There are a few things you could do
1) check for leaks in roof etc
2)use a sealent on the floor and walls
3)buy a little heater ie something like people use in a greenhouse parafin heater bit smelly but a lot cheaper than a electic humidifer

Brind
31-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Ultimately if you were going to store vehicles in a garage which are going to spend their lives there it is wise to control the humidity and air quality as trapped moisture can corrode metals in no time.
Garages normally only have basic insulation just in the form of roof tiles and a bit of felt, you could intall a false ceiling and insulate it to give it more of a house feel but you probably have single skin walls aswell which just soak up dampness which consequently comes straight in eventually, this dampness has to go somewhere and if you have inadeqaute ventilation it's just going to settle and build up while it does all kinds of damage.

Leaving it outside you get UV problems which can be contolled with a cover but then these can trap moisture too, some covers can breath.

Garage with decent insulation, good heating, ventilation, and if you are a purist, a dehumidifier will be a very good idea.

Brind
31-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Just found this too, maybe a little excessive for you?
http://www.ultimategarage.com/UltGar2g.htm

KiwiTT
02-09-2003, 10:17 PM
I have mine in a carport. What additional considerations are required here.

Note: No freezing temps here. Temperature average is 10 to 20 C INSERT INTO post VALUES (winters); 20 to 30 C INSERT INTO post VALUES (summers).

Brind
02-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Carport is probably ideal, plenty of air circulation, you can see the car clearly so you can keep an eye on the car for build up of dirt and grime and also prevents bird bombing.

Although a carport is not as safe and secure as a garage, it has plenty of benefits.