PDA

View Full Version : Latest gearbox woes now resolved

Jimbo
07-09-2005, 04:31 PM
This might be of some interest if anybody else suffers similar symptoms...

Since getting back from Nurburg, I think it was, my car has been running well-rough; stalling quite often, and lurching a lot when changing gear, especially in auto. It didn't seem particularly worrying until about 2 weeks ago when I realised it was definitely getting worse and that there were now small dried up oil stains on my drive /Hmmm

Not having access to any ramps I took it to the garage for them to have a look and they confirmed there was a gearbox leak, difficult to say where as the stuff was spread across most of the underside of the car, but they seemed to think it was leaking from the torque converter.

I had to wait a while to get paid at the end of last month, and then I took it back for them to investigate further - it was catch 22 with my warranty as I had to give them a quote for work, but couldn't get a quote until they'd figured out the problem. /grr

Anyway, it's now been back to Holdcroft where they had it all day, took off the undertrays, steam cleaned the underside, found a loose hose going into the torque converter ( /Hmmm ) that they tightened up, filled it back up with ATF, and only charged me 1 hours labour and no parts !! :happy: :happy: I've been starting to get on really well with their service manager in these past 6 months and they've started to become extremely reliable and very helpful.

I'm still a little nervous about the car and I'm taking it easy for a while, regularly checking the fluid levels just in case - almost paranoid :rolleyes4 Dare I say though, it does appear to be running smoother than I think it's ever done before.

Anyway, the point of this long post.....to assist other people in a future diagnosis: a stalling car can also mean low ATF levels. /yes

I wouldn't have thought that before and I actually thought my problems were due to the dump valve possibly needing a tighten...until I noticed the low oil levels and residue on my drive. According to Mitsy, when ATF levels are low the ECU gets extremely confused and simply can't cope.

d3x
07-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks for that, good piece of info..

And thank god it wasn't anything more serious!

Physician
07-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Very interesting and useful info James. Glad it was that simple.

Slightly digressing but ........... I had to change my PS belt again yesterday and was chatting to my mechanic. I asked him what he would/could do to improve my 0-60 times without dramatic changes/costs and he said the simplest way was probably an ECU re-map but he warned me that our particular machines were so complicated with inter-related electronic systems that it could easily get screwed up. ie: re-map the first gear to hold up to 8000 rpm (for example) before changing up to 2nd and the AYC may get confused depending on how THAT is mapped etc etc etc.

So I can well believe that the ECU will get confuzzled by gear box temperatures or fluid levels. :embarasse

HJM
07-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Good to hear it's sorted :thumbsup:

richy rich
07-09-2005, 05:04 PM
is that mitsi holdcroft on leek rd stoke on trent.
good to here that it was so simple.

Jimbo
07-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Physician: thanks for those comments Rich - oh gawd I hope you can find the source of that frustrating PS belt issue soon, I can well believe it's driving you batty. Have you and the mechanic gathered any further clues as to what it could be?

Richy: Yep, that's the place. I have to admit I posted a rather damning article 18 months ago about Holdcroft Mitsubishi in our dealerships forum, all of it from a past life with a V6-24 I owned for the best part of 4 years. I only mention that as I want to put things into context as I now firmly believe them to be extremely reliable, helpful, honest, friendly and generous - quite a turn around I think you'll agree if you read my last post. I think it's fair to say I've witnessed the very best and the very worst of dealership servicing....I guess I live on the edge as I never seem to get much in between!!!

If you want any advice then speak to Neil on the service desk. The guy is seriously overworked, but he loves his trade and he'll never stop to help out.....a few months ago he spent about an hour with me searching on the 'net for braided hoses....just ask him about his mate, Dave Llama (sic) /lol

My two visits with this gearbox problem would probably have cost me hundred upon hundred at most places (and like Derek found a while ago, probably mis-diagnosed too), but the sum total from both visits, including a gallon of diaqueen, was just 1 hours labour. Faultless IMO.

Spirit
07-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Great news that it looks all sorted Jimbo :thumbsup: ......still sorting my woes from recent exploits on the blackstuff :embarasse