PDA

View Full Version : Dee's car ??

SGHOM
07-09-2005, 10:25 PM
why is CRD [ Dee Irelands ] car full of holes in the front bumper ??
is that to get more air in ??
mmm ?? perhaps I should ask Morrisons to sponsor mine !! :curtain: ;) ;) every little helps !! /yes :leer:

d3x
08-09-2005, 10:41 AM
why is CRD [ Dee Irelands ] car full of holes in the front bumper ??
is that to get more air in ??
mmm ?? perhaps I should ask ASDA to sponsor mine !! :curtain: ;) ;) every little helps !! /yes :leer:

It's to save weight. Quite a few people seem to be doing it of late.

Wodjno
08-09-2005, 12:53 PM
It's to save weight. Quite a few people seem to be doing it of late.

I wouldn't have thought that small amount of body missing would make any difference to the times he was running if it's for weight saving.. /Hmmm And what weight he has saved would almost definitely be cancelled out by the extra drag that he would be getting.. :inquisiti

enigma
08-09-2005, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't have thought that small amount of body missing would make any difference to the times he was running if it's for weight saving.. /Hmmm And what weight he has saved would almost definitely be cancelled out by the extra drag that he would be getting.. :inquisiti

Correct.......some people make very ill informed modifications to their cars in the quest for speed!

d3x
08-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Wodjno, it may be hard to believe but it's true. banzai has featured quite a few drag cars that have done this modification. I mean come on, so you'll save a few ounces but please...

and it looks a tad crappy. Would never do that to a legit.

ANTHONY
08-09-2005, 06:32 PM
kieran should be ok then................ his old project is full of holes

Quail
08-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Air for the rad?

HJM
08-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Those Supras are quick - so I've heard /Hmmm :scholar: :inquisiti

bradc
09-09-2005, 12:56 AM
I would have thought it was for an air intake or for more cooling air.

Kieran
09-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Those Supras are quick - so I've heard /Hmmm :scholar: :inquisiti

No, I'll resist temptation.... /Devil5

HJM
09-09-2005, 07:14 AM
No, I'll resist temptation.... /Devil5

I won't - its a great car /yes (but you already knew that) and I USE it !!!! /Steeringw

michaeli
09-09-2005, 01:35 PM
SGHOM... Sorry but you are factually incorrect in what you have said...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

It's Tesco's which have the slogan "every little helps..." /pan

perhaps I should ask ASDA to sponsor mine !! :curtain: ;) ;) every little helps !! /yes :leer:

michaeli
09-09-2005, 01:40 PM
But seriously, he will have a large intercooler sat behind part of the bumper, so has put the holes there to have air flow to the top of it as well as the middle and bottow, his left light is out so his induction kit gets air..

But then again, for around 10-15secs, how much effect this would have I don't know, probably minimal....

But the again, the colder the air and the cooler the engine the more boost you can have and the more horses you can get..

At the end of the day, there is no perfect way to do this, but the testing is the fun part!! :evil2:

d3x
09-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Just to put this one to rest;
I've spoken to Dee and indeed, the holes are for the intercooler and general airflow into the engine bay.

But I still say most cars you see with the swiss cheese effect have been done for wieght saving. Or so the owners keep saying.

2 r32, 1 r33, 3 pulsars and I think two civics have been in mags over the past year (banzai and Jap Tuner), all playing the holey game claimin it saves weight... still think it looks crud though..

BraindG
09-09-2005, 02:18 PM
personally i doubt very much its to save weight.. its a few inch holes in a plastic bumper... how heavy would that be? my phone is heavier than the wieght saved there..

d3x
09-09-2005, 02:30 PM
I don't mean they do it just to the bumper. They do it all over the car. Back bumper, front, any part they can get away with it..

Wish my scanner was workin, I'd be able to show you three of the cars mentioned (got the mags on my desk)

d3x
09-09-2005, 02:46 PM
found a pic of one.

SGHOM
09-09-2005, 03:02 PM
weight or air ?? /Hmmm
the latter obviously !! my 2 x 55mm holes/vents [ either side ] are purely to divert air around the intercooler, & help keep the rad vented ! /yes
bigger intercooler............ transmission cooler....... all interupt the airflow to the rad, so a little assistance wont go amiss ! /yes and............... they are so placed, as to not affect the drag effect. :thumbsup:

enigma
09-09-2005, 03:29 PM
they are so placed, as to not affect the drag effect. :thumbsup:

B!!LLSH!T

You just cut two holes didn't you!!! :p

d3x
09-09-2005, 03:31 PM
weight or air ?? /Hmmm
the latter obviously !! my 2 x 55mm holes/vents [ either side ] are purely to divert air around the intercooler, & help keep the rad vented ! /yes
bigger intercooler............ transmission cooler....... all interupt the airflow to the rad, so a little assistance wont go amiss ! /yes and............... they are so placed, as to not affect the drag effect. :thumbsup:

Like I said earlier, these are NOT MY CLAIMS, they are the owners!! /grr

enigma
09-09-2005, 03:34 PM
my 2 x 55mm holes/vents [ either side ] are purely to divert air around the intercooler, & help keep the rad vented !

You actually want all the air going through the intercooler, if you make an easier path for the air, it will take it! Cooling your radiator is of secondary importance to getting your charge air cooled efficiently and effectively.

i3ooyah
10-09-2005, 09:31 AM
if its for weight savings then they should of did that to the rear bumper where they wont be getting any drag

You See
10-09-2005, 09:54 AM
To save weight they could just not stop off at Maccas before the race and go for a dump...that oughta save 3kgs at least! :thumbsup:

i3ooyah
10-09-2005, 10:17 AM
hahah what kinda freaky dumps do u do dude

how fast does that car run anyway? he ruined a gtr :(

You See
10-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Lets just say a good 2 flushes! ..haha
You can't ruin a GTR unless you put a shyt-baru engine in it...but then again, why would you?

michaeli
11-09-2005, 08:50 AM
To save weight they could just not stop off at Maccas before the race and go for a dump...that oughta save 3kgs at least! :thumbsup:

WTF??? :inquisiti

I can see Derek now... "Nitrous? Check, Co2? Check, Laxatives? Check"

Then comes a bang on the door..

"Derek!! You're on next!!! Christ... What's that smell :embarasse you nervous?? :inquisiti "

Derek shouts... "Just a minute... :lost:"

>
>
>
>

Colonic irrigation anyone?? LOL :vogel: /JawDroppi :bigcry: :sick:

My imagination is too active... must stop eating Kelloggs in the morning.. /yes /help