PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Small car for learner driver

bernmc
08-09-2005, 09:55 AM
My daughter is turning 16 soon, and I want to get her a little runabout to learn in. Ideally looking for under 1000 pounds, low insurance group, small engine or diesle. Something like and older clio/pug/fiesta etc. Needs power steering and can't be too clapped out - not having her sitting by the roadside in the middle of the night.

If any of you have or know of something suitable, give me a shout.

enigma
08-09-2005, 10:13 AM
You have another year to wait?!! She cant start driving until she is 17!!

ritch_w
08-09-2005, 10:26 AM
If you can go more than £1K u can have my 1.6 colt, 1996, grp6 ins. and 110% reliable!! :thumbsup:

bernmc
08-09-2005, 11:02 AM
You have another year to wait?!! She cant start driving until she is 17!!
Oops. She's about to turn 17 http://clubvr4.com/forum/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

Ritch - I'll check insurance later today, but if I remember correctly that size engine adds a big chunk to learner/new driver's insurance, so it's probably not an option :(

d3x
08-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Oops. She's about to turn 17 http://clubvr4.com/forum/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

Ritch - I'll check insurance later today, but if I remember correctly that size engine adds a big chunk to learner/new driver's insurance, so it's probably not an option :(

It does indeed, you need something smaller than 1.3 to get any kind of attractive insurance quote.

A Nissan micra would be well suited, and cheap but not necessarily as cheap as what price range you're lookin at..

Kieran
08-09-2005, 11:21 AM
My 2nd car was a Fiat Cinquecento Sporting. Nippy and cheap to fix. My car had a solid engine and gearbox and the electrics were okay. But everything else was rubbish. That said, I thrashed it with no mercy whatsoever and servicing consisted of sorting anything that it failed the MOT on and changing the oil once every 5000 miles or so - and that was it. it never saw a garage other than that!! :embarasse /pan

But for a learner, insurance is super-cheap (even the Sporting is only group 3) and it's dead, dead easy to drive and park. :thumbsup:

bernmc
08-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Checked insurance - about double for a 1.6 compared to wee willy micra's!

There are several micra's nearby for under a thousand nearby, so I might go and have a peep! Ta for the heads up.

I don;t have good memories of Fiats, SK, so I think I'll pass on a Cincywotsit!