PDA

View Full Version : V6-24 spark plugs

ritch_w
08-09-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm going to change my plugs before venturing down to Japshow next month, so, what are the correct plugs for a 2001 V6-24, from www.sparkplugs.co.uk i get 2 options;

1. Standard/Platinum spark plugs
Part No.PFR6G-11
Price £ per plug 10.47

2. Iridium spark plugs
Part No.BKR6EIX-11
Price £ per plug 7.59

are these correct - and whats the difference between Platinum and Iridium (is there any perfomance gains????)

Are there any other options that have been tried & tested??

Also - is there a "How to" on changing the plugs??? (I have searched and i can see it discussed - but cant find the how to post......)

DUNLY
08-09-2005, 12:41 PM
i always thought iridium sparks were better than platinum, but i may be wrong. /Hmmm . try this page Ritch, it ma be if use!

:thumbsup:

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/iridium_spark_plugs.htm

psbarham
08-09-2005, 09:11 PM
i've got a nice set of btcc spec surface dicharge for mine :smug: , when i fit them /pan :embarasse i'll let you know the difference

ritch_w
09-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Ok read the tech info and it would suggest that iridium plugs provide better performance etc etc (as well as being cheaper...) is this the case???

what have you 2.0 and V6 owners went for????

what about you VR4 chaps - platinum or iridium plugs???? :inquisiti

You See
09-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Iridiums are better performance (recommended changing every 6 months...but who would bother?)
Platinum's last longer (recommended changing every 12 months...yet again, who would bother?)
...this is probably why Iridiums are slightly cheaper.

ritch_w
09-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Iridiums are better performance (recommended changing every 6 months...but who would bother?)
Platinum's last longer (recommended changing every 12 months...yet again, who would bother?)
...this is probably why Iridiums are slightly cheaper.

thanks :thumbsup: probably worth the extra pennies for platinums then

dunno about changing every 6/12 months tho - they are both supposed to last 70K+

You See
09-09-2005, 10:47 AM
I've gone for the Iridiums myself....tho haven't had a chance to test them as my car's gonna get tuned next week or so.
You may need to gap them 25-28 tho.

DUNLY
09-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Also - is there a "How to" on changing the plugs??? (I have searched and i can see it discussed - but cant find the how to post......)
just done a quick search on the net "how to" change spark plugs, is isnt a G but it should help.

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=33

strapping young lad
09-09-2005, 01:13 PM
i got my sparkies done at the 55k service

i've "acquired" autodata 2004 which gives me service schedules and also tells me how often to change stuff which is quite handy for ther galant ;)

John
19-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Unless I'm wrong, I think Iridiums are supposed to last longer than Platinums? Certainly my GDi has iridiums - replaced every 90,000km. Usually I's cost more than the P's.

I put Denso Iridiums in my V6 and they made a noticable difference to performance and mpg (but not at the same time!!)

If you haven't done it yet, make sure you have a new inlet manifold gasket as you'll need to remove it to get at the rear bank of plugs. You will also need a long reach narrow plug socket as they are buried in the head.

It's quite a simple job. Lots of electrics to unplug but nothing too difficult. It is possible to get the manifold raised enough to do the rear plugs without completely removing the air inlet pipe.

Torque settings from the Mitsy manual if you want to do it properly:
Plugs 25Nm
Intake manifold 18Nm rear bolts (x4) 14Nm front bolts (x3)
Manifold bracket (rear of engine) 18Nm

Note also that the manifold gasket has a sort of protrusion/tab at one end that should be on the battery side of the engine.

Hope this helps - if you haven't already done it!