PDA

View Full Version : how do you remove the din tray underneath the stereo ...

Bal
09-09-2005, 09:18 AM
ok so i went to fit my indash screen last night and hit my hurdle, how to get that damn tray out that sits underneath your stereo.

as far as i can tell there are two screws either side of it that need to come out but these are covered by a big piece of black plastic, which i think is moulded into the entire dash.

as it was getting dark and late I thought id leave this till sat when i can spend the whole day on it.

if anyone has removed this already and hints or tips much appreciated.

lol currently my centre console bit is sitting there with half the plastic surround removed and my stereo is currently hanging out (obviously i remove it when im not in the car).

Thanks
Bal

strapping young lad
09-09-2005, 09:28 AM
at a guess (a big one) doesnt it unclip and come out?

ive got the galant manual on cd back home and check if you like

Nick Mann
09-09-2005, 09:36 AM
It is held by four screws through a pair of metal plates. The plates can also hold a stereo.

Remove the center console as per Kierans how to in the articles section. The metal plates have one screw in each in the dim dark recess of the dash, but just clip in to the front of the dash behind the console trim. If you follow Kierans article, all will become clear!

Bal
09-09-2005, 09:39 AM
uhh please can you check for me. if it is a case of unclip that would be great but i can defo see two screws that look like they screw into the tray.

keiran, if you read this, iv printed off your centre console removal guide (loads of pics missing by the way). Is this over kill for removing the tray.

please let me know.

thanks guys.

marmel31
09-09-2005, 09:42 AM
This is the order I use:

Use a flat blade screwdriver and slowly prise iff the trim surrounding the gear lever. Once this is off remove the ashtray etc and then pull the centre console from the bottom. (It can be quite hard to pull out) The whole centre console will come out, you will need to disconnect the two plugs going to the cigarette lighter and the two lower bulbs, plus the two sets of wires which go into the back of the air conditioning. The centre console then comes away completely. What you will have left is the stereo and the black tray underneath in the lower din slot. If you look underneath this you will see two screws about 30cm away, undo these and the entire stereo and bracket will pop out, you will need to undo the plugs at the back of the stereo if you want to remove it completely. Hope this helps.

EDIT - Dam you guys are quick, give a man a chance to post here :rolleyes4

Bal
09-09-2005, 12:37 PM
thanks will keep u updated

Bal
13-09-2005, 09:30 AM
thanks guys,

it's in.

all i have to do now is wire up the wireless camera and im sweet. i need to get hold of a 9v battery today.

screen is sweet.

only problem, i couldnt get the surround on for the screen cos the surround on teh stereo got in the way. i hate it when things dont go on so tidly.

gonna have to use black tape or something to mask the little metal bits.

ill sort.

anyways thansk guys.

B

Spirit
14-09-2005, 07:17 AM
thanks guys,

it's in.

all i have to do now is wire up the wireless camera and im sweet. i need to get hold of a 9v battery today.

screen is sweet.

only problem, i couldnt get the surround on for the screen cos the surround on teh stereo got in the way. i hate it when things dont go on so tidly.

gonna have to use black tape or something to mask the little metal bits.

ill sort.

anyways thansk guys.

B

We ll done on getting it in mate :thumbsup:

I had the same problem with the surround on my old VR4 when I had a screen and dvd player fitted. In the end I cut the top of the surrond off with a stanley knife and used a dab of superglue to hold it on....was better than nothing