PDA

View Full Version : Rear diff gear oil.

Nick Mann
09-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Since I have had PJ's car I have had a slow rear diff oil leak.

I am doing a fluids service at the moment, so have had the chance to investigate further.

It appears that the leak is gear oil. It is plastered all over the rear diff, leaking from the seal around the drive shaft to the offside rear wheel. I looked at the amount of oil there and though 'oh dear'. I fully expected to find a dry rear diff.

Imagine my surprise when I undid the fill nut and gear oil came out! Especially as my car is jacked slightly higher at the back than the front. Nothing should have come out of the fill plug! I am guessing that well over 1 litre came out of the fill plug. I then removed the drain and got almost another litre. For a system that is supposed to take 500ml of gear oil, that is a tad surprising!

I now think that the reason the rear diff has been leaking is due to the massive overfilling of the oil in it. Hopefully the right amount of oil will solve the problem. What I can't understand is how did someone manage to get the oil filled to 1 litre above the fill plug and then put the plug in without the oil coming out? They must have removed the rear diff to fill it with oil?!?!? Or stood the car on its nose!!

ANTHONY
09-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Good Luck With That Nick

Axeboy
11-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Oldie... but search is great.

Ive got a leak on my diff... grrrrrr!

I shall investigate tomorrow...

Brunty
11-08-2006, 07:57 PM
I now think that the reason the rear diff has been leaking is due to the massive overfilling of the oil in it. Hopefully the right amount of oil will solve the problem. What I can't understand is how did someone manage to get the oil filled to 1 litre above the fill plug and then put the plug in without the oil coming out? They must have removed the rear diff to fill it with oil?!?!? Or stood the car on its nose!!

I didn't do this bit when we were working on our cars did I?

:uhoh2:

Brunty
11-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Oldie... but search is great.

Yeah! Great for making eager posters look simple.

:party3:

richy rich
11-08-2006, 10:48 PM
See what happens when you don't use WRD!! :thumbsup:

ajsimp
18-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Its easy to overfill a diff, and the leak would have been caused by the pressure build up of the fluid as it gets hot and expands, as its too full it has nowhere to vent so it squeezes past the weakest seal and looks like a leak, check your diff vent it may be blocked!

TAR
18-09-2009, 10:30 PM
WOW post revival.

This was originally posted in 2005!!

:happy:

Nick Mann
19-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Heh! No point checking anything on that diff now! It died a while back whilst launching...... /pan