PDA

View Full Version : VR4 vs Evo VIII ?

KiwiTT
01-09-2003, 04:45 AM
I have just purchased my "Dream Car".

A Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Type S. She is one fast car. As this car has over twice the power of the last car I have decided to take it easy until I get more comfortable with it.

I just read CAR Magazine INSERT INTO post VALUES (UK) and it had the EVO VIII at position 11 in the top 100. It pointed out that this was a more refined version than the earlier versions. i.e. less RAW. As the VR-4 uses lots of the EVO parts bin, but in a more refined shell. I was wondering where the VR-4 would sit in the top 100.

Spirit
01-09-2003, 07:06 AM
Well of course we are a little bias on here but I would put it joint with the Evo at least - but sure ain't number one let's be honest :D

Brind
01-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Very different cars really.......
The VR-4 has the usual Jap performance power of 280bhp sporty handling and rally breeding, different did I say? :D well they are really as the EVO is much more purposful in that it has more of a package to do what it does best.
If it's looks, then I'd personally rate the VR-4 much higher.

It will never be number 1 for many reasons, people have a badge snobbery problem if it isn't a Merc or a BMW or one of the well known supercars then it is NOTHING.

You can bet the top spots are taken by Merc, BMW, Lexus, Aston, Ferrari and probably plenty of french crap too such as Renaults and Peogeots and the odd Ford and Vauxhalls.
I haven't seen the mag but I'm probably correct. :rolleyes:

zedy1
01-09-2003, 11:11 PM
well the good side of the vr4 is noone knows what this baby can get upto

KiwiTT
02-09-2003, 02:05 AM
I have had mine 2 weeks now and will spend the next 2-3 months edging my limits up every so often. Don't tell the wife tho. She does know I am taking it easy for this period. If only she knew.

I been around a 55 recommended corner at 100 and a 45 at 80.

I heard, you can push these to the limit, but if you exceed it watch out.

Can anyone explain this a bit better ? or has experienced this limit and what I should feel for prior ?

Brind
02-09-2003, 06:48 PM
Baically, you will never beat the laws of physics.
So just be careful and 'KNOW YOUR' limits not the cars limits.

No one car is the same and never the same road conditions either, so what you may be able to do at 100 this time you won't next time even if you think they are the same conditions.

landy
02-09-2003, 10:02 PM
When I bought my VR4 the dealer gave me a similar warning.

He told me car has superb handling and will stick to the road like glue, but when it does go it will go BIG time INSERT INTO post VALUES (ie. you will be going very fast indeed) :eek:

I love flooring it out of junctions now and again and it never wheel spins INSERT INTO post VALUES (only in the wet when I've lost it a few times... don't floor it in the wet) :D

KiwiTT
03-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Brind
Basically, you will never beat the laws of physics.
So just be careful and 'KNOW YOUR' limits not the cars limits.

I will take my time getting to know this car. With it having twice the HP as my last car and being slightly bigger, it will take some time.

Additionally, it is my pride and joy, so I will be taking it easy most times.

PAUL
03-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Hello Mark there is no need to slag off other cars is there
Vr-4's are not the best cars in the world!!!

My Peugeot keeps going after 145mph, with just a filter and exhaust mod.

All the Best.

Paul K

:p

Brind
03-09-2003, 05:15 PM
I wasn't comparing the VR-4 with French crap, but it's my opinion that French do make crap. :D
Each to their own though, it's my opinion.
I quite like the shape of the newer Peugeots but I certainly wouldn't want one.

One example why, my mate has a Peugeot and then the engine died so he bought a wrecked Peugeot EXACTLY the same age, model, engine size, colour even and the engine from that wouldn't fit in his! :confused:

PAUL
04-09-2003, 11:07 AM
Mark you may think it's french crap :o but as you said each to their own lots of people could say Jap crap but until you drive something else you will not know I suppose.

I look forward to seeing you at Santa Pod.

This time you might have the bottle to race another Vr-4:D

Brind
04-09-2003, 06:46 PM
I have driven one, it was a 106 curtosy car.. it was in fact superb for speed bumps as believe it or not you just couldn't feel them!! that could partly be because I sped up for them and cleared two at a time though! :D
Seriously, it was very smooth.
The gripe I did have was once I took my foot off the throttle to brake.. I couldn't find it again! you just start kicking the wheel arch as the pedal is in such a crap position, probably fine for a granny or a small person but being 6 foot with big feet is was just hopeless.

I've had many Fords before the Jap car and highly rate them so I'm not biased in the slightest.

See you when you get across the line, Ill be waiting for a while letting my turbos cool! :cool: ;)

zedy1
04-09-2003, 11:03 PM
french cars are okay as long as the are running

Kieran
04-09-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by PAUL
My Peugeot keeps going after 145mph, with just a filter and exhaust mod.

I apologise in advance, but I cannot resist;)

Was the 145mph achieved before or just after the doors fell off?!

I know, I know... respect for other people's taste, etc, etc...
:p:D:D

PAUL
08-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Do you people forget that I drive a Vr-4 too, I was just saying that everybody has their own tastes and preferences.

Brind pity you didn't have the bottle to race me when you had the chance :o .

I did see a 2.8 sec 0-60 this weekend by a Nova!!

See ya soon.

Brind
08-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by PAUL
Do you people forget that I drive a Vr-4 too, I was just saying that everybody has their own tastes and preferences.

But we're not attacking you Paul, and as you've just said and I said earlier, "everybody has their own tastes and preferences".
I could start attacking Reliant Robins but that is no reflection on who ever owns them.
:) :)

Spirit
08-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Thought we were here to celebrate ownership of a great car, not to slag off others ?

Surely if we start this it will lower our standards to that of many other sites ? INSERT INTO post VALUES (No names mentioned) :D

BraindG
08-09-2003, 09:02 PM
yeah.. you tell em pete!
/cowers away behind pete - pointing at them

Spirit
08-09-2003, 09:09 PM
/builds barricade large enough to hide us both and stations a German soldier with machine gun on patrol in front of it :D

jtfleming
08-09-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by spirit979
Thought we were here to celebrate ownership of a great car, not to slag off others ?

Surely if we start this it will lower our standards to that of many other sites ? INSERT INTO post VALUES (No names mentioned) :D

Ive said this before . Bout time other people have said it too!!!:D

Brind
09-09-2003, 12:25 AM
I'm quitting while I'm ahead as I can see this escalating into something stupid.

PAUL
09-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Yes lets stop this now.

Have fun and enjoy :)

Brind
09-09-2003, 05:30 PM
:)
But my VR-4 is still faster than your VR-4.;) :D :D :D