PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Denso Iridium plugs for VR4's

Louis
12-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Hi Guys,
I have made a contact and can get Denso Iridium Spark Plugs at a substantially reduced cost.
As with these types of purchases I need to make a bulk purchase, and then will sell on to whoever is interested.

The plugs in question are actual Denso Iridium plugs, not to be confused with HKS iridium or NGK iridium plugs which are cheaper anyway.
Initially I will be purchasing 60 ( 10 sets of 6 plugs ) Denso Iridium part number IK22.
The IK22 plug shares the same plug spec. – i.e. thread diameter, hex, reach etc, however it is one grade colder than the standard part listed by Denso for the Mitsubishi Galant VR4, 2.5l V6 Turbo 6A13 engine.
The IK 22 is for hard driven cars or cars with boost controllers, mostly suitable for light / medium tuned engines.

These Denso Iridium Plugs are for sale on http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk for £10.87 + vat, which is £12.77 each (still cheaper than Mitsubishi dealers), making them £76.62 a set!!.

The good news is that I can get these for £52 a set of 6

There will be a cost for P&P, not much, I'll find out how much to post 6 plugs and let you know.
To get this price I need to buy 60 plugs, (10 sets of 6), now, I want a set of these, (hence me finding out about them), but for me to get a set for £52 I need at least 9 other interested people.
I will pay the £520 up front if there is enough interest, otherwise I’ll pay more(not discounted) and get one set for me self!.
If you are interested please stick your name on this thread, we’ll see how many and go from there.
This may be of interest to those of you who are buying the phenolic intake manifold gaskets.
Let me know your views, Cheers Louis :thumbsup:

Louis
12-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Hi, a more direct link to alternative plugs, from the sparkplugs uk site.

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/database/altresults.asp

cheers Louis

Louis
12-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah!, type in BKR7EIX and it brings up alternative plugs.

ghanda
12-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Defo a set for me please.

caishanvr4
13-09-2005, 12:04 AM
yeah, i could be involved depending on intrest

ritch_w
13-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Can you get plugs for the V6 ???? (BKR6EIX-11 according to sparkplugs.co.uk)

Axeboy
13-09-2005, 09:03 AM
I'll be up for a set

Louis
13-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Cool, I 'll leave this up for a few days to see who else is interested, as soon as there are 10 (including me) interested, I'll get things started, should happen pretty quick from then.
Ritch, I will see what price I can get them for, again a group buy of at least 10 is the way I can get them cheaper, I will get a cost for this and post it here.
I can't do a mix of one type and another, i.e. 5 of IK22 and 5 of BKR6, to make up the 10, so it would need to be a minimum of 10 sets, I will let you know the cost as soon as,
cheers Louis

Kieran
14-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Seeing as I've got a intake gasket on the way, I will be looking at the plugs, so...

/wave

Slimshady
15-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Q. will Ik22's work with 2.5L V6 Galant?

sparkplugs.co.uk recommend Iridium plugs BKR6EIX-11 @ £7.59 each (£45.54 for 6)

Are the IK22’s better? If so please put me down for a set and let me know how to pay you.

Louis
16-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Hi,
My bloke is currently trying to get me costs for the NGK BKR6EIX and 7EIX, I don't think the IK22's will fit but will doulbe check this, there is another thread running by Simon! who has prices for denso plugs, so I am hoping that the competition will bring the price down, I will post info and prices here, cheers Louis

michaeli
17-09-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm in.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

IK22's are a colder running plug than stock or standard one's. If you turn your boost up it's a must, :evil2: if you want better fuel economy it's a must... :thumbsup:

Wouter
17-09-2005, 07:46 PM
If they are cooler running plugs then surely you can't raise the boost as that will bring the temp up..... and then the plugs won't be able to handle it.

The more boost the higher the temp..... so you need plugs that have a higher temp rating.

Correct me if I am wrong.....

enigma
17-09-2005, 07:55 PM
If they are cooler running plugs then surely you can't raise the boost as that will bring the temp up..... and then the plugs won't be able to handle it.

The more boost the higher the temp..... so you need plugs that have a higher temp rating.

you are wrong!

Kieran
18-09-2005, 11:31 AM
you are wrong!

And the correction part is...........................?

Japow
18-09-2005, 01:28 PM
I'll have 2 sets. But ideally i'd need these this week??

Louis
18-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Hi
Ok, I will post this info in the other thread also (Simon's "thread denso iridium spark plugs") to see if Simon can do a better deal, in all honesty there's probably not much in it between the two!.

I can get 60 IK22 plugs for £450.

that is, 10 sets of 6 plugs at £45 a set, plus postage, I'm guessing a couple of quid for post , but I don't know definitely, I will try to find out.

I don't wish to p*ss off Simon or anyone else who is trying to get good deals for the club, all I want is a set of low cost plugs., I will post info when I get it, I would like to get a set as soon as, so if interested shout, cheers Louis

No word back on the NGK's as yet

Axeboy
18-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Set for me anyway Louis... a few quid doesnt matter.

wirdy
19-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Put me on the list for one set (6) please :thumbsup:

Geordie Iain
19-09-2005, 11:16 AM
And the correction part is...........................?
The IK22's run at a cooler temperature than the standard plugs, when the boost pressure is raised the plugs need to be able to cope with the higher temperatures. This is where running the colder plugs come into it, as the temperature gets to a point where the standar plugs will melt the IK22's will be upto ther optimum temp. On the otherhand if you go with a plug that runs too cold eg IK27's in a standard engine, they wouldnt get upto their optimum temp and end up becoming covered in soot and cause running problems.
Hope that makes sense :)
One other point Denso make the HKS Iridium plugs.

wirdy
19-09-2005, 12:42 PM
One other point Denso make the HKS Iridium plugs.

Yep, and HKS put their logo on them & charge another 50% for the privilege. /pan

zentac
21-09-2005, 08:17 PM
IK22`s are what I use. Camskill sells a set for about £70 delivered so these are cheap.

psbarham
23-09-2005, 05:46 PM

this ahould help every one make sense of the heat ratings for spark plugs

First its important to understand heat range.

The term spark plug heat range refers to the speed with which the plug can transfer heat from the combustion chamber to the engine head. Whether the plug is to be installed in a boat, lawnmower or racecar, it has been found the optimum combustion chamber temperature for gasoline engines is between 500°C–850°C. When it is within that range it is cool enough to avoid pre-ignition and plug tip overheating (which can cause engine damage), while still hot enough to burn off combustion deposits which cause fouling.

The spark plug can help maintain the optimum combustion chamber temperature. The primary method used to do this is by altering the internal length of the core nose, in addition, the alloy compositions in the electrodes can be changed. This means you may not be able to visually tell a difference between heat ranges. When a spark plug is referred to as a “cold plug”, it is one that transfers heat rapidly from the firing tip into the engine head, which keeps the firing tip cooler. A “hot plug” has a much slower rate of heat transfer, which keeps the firing tip hotter.

An unaltered engine will run within the optimum operating range straight from the manufacturer, but if you make modifications such as a turbo, supercharger, increase compression, increase boost levels, timing changes, use of alternate racing fuels, or sustained use of nitrous oxide, these can alter the plug tip temperature and may necessitate a colder plug.

A rule of thumb is, one heat range colder for every 50–100hp you increase. In identical spark plug types, the difference from one full heat range to the next is the ability to remove 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber.

Whats Quenching?

To understand quenching and how it is reduced it is first necessary to review the basic purpose of the spark plug is to ignite the air fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. To do this your vehicle ignition system generates tens of thousands of volts to jump the gap between the center and ground electrodes. However it is good to know that it is not the actual electricity that ignites the air fuel mixture, it is the heat energy generated by that electricity or spark. Therefore when you are creating the spark you want as much of the heat from that spark to be used to ignite the air fuel mixture and not have the heat from that spark be re-absorbed by the center and ground electrodes. Thus NGKs V-groove design in the center electrode reduces quenching by reducing the contact (surface) area between the electrodes and the flame nucleus.

Louis
24-09-2005, 12:48 AM
Hi folks,
sorry for the delay over the last few days, (work commitments), anyhoo, I will talk to my bloke on Monday and see how soon delivery can be made, cost will be £45 plus postage for a set of 6 IK22 plugs.
Oilman (Simon) also has a thread running for plugs, (and oil), his cost is £49.50 including postage. Both offers are based on a minimum purchase of 60 plugs.
So on Monday I will go through the thread and see how many we have and ask who still wants to go with this offer, (basicaly I will need to fork out 450 bucks for 60 plugs delivered to me,and then I will post out to others, so I want to make sure that I have another 9 interested parties), cheers for now I will keep you posted on Monday

ghanda
24-09-2005, 09:01 AM
look forward to it :)

craig-1
25-09-2005, 12:31 AM
Hi Guys,
I have made a contact and can get Denso Iridium Spark Plugs at a substantially reduced cost.
As with these types of purchases I need to make a bulk purchase, and then will sell on to whoever is interested.

The plugs in question are actual Denso Iridium plugs, not to be confused with HKS iridium or NGK iridium plugs which are cheaper anyway.
Initially I will be purchasing 60 ( 10 sets of 6 plugs ) Denso Iridium part number IK22.
The IK22 plug shares the same plug spec. – i.e. thread diameter, hex, reach etc, however it is one grade colder than the standard part listed by Denso for the Mitsubishi Galant VR4, 2.5l V6 Turbo 6A13 engine.
The IK 22 is for hard driven cars or cars with boost controllers, mostly suitable for light / medium tuned engines.

These Denso Iridium Plugs are for sale on http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk (http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/) for £10.87 + vat, which is £12.77 each (still cheaper than Mitsubishi dealers), making them £76.62 a set!!.

The good news is that I can get these for £52 a set of 6

There will be a cost for P&P, not much, I'll find out how much to post 6 plugs and let you know.
To get this price I need to buy 60 plugs, (10 sets of 6), now, I want a set of these, (hence me finding out about them), but for me to get a set for £52 I need at least 9 other interested people.
I will pay the £520 up front if there is enough interest, otherwise I’ll pay more(not discounted) and get one set for me self!.
If you are interested please stick your name on this thread, we’ll see how many and go from there.
This may be of interest to those of you who are buying the phenolic intake manifold gaskets.
Let me know your views, Cheers Louis :thumbsup:
louis go to your local TMS motorfactors and u will find that they do them for around £5-£6 a plug

Louis
26-09-2005, 12:52 PM
louis go to your local TMS motorfactors and u will find that they do them for around £5-£6 a plug

AWE MAN, You've got to be kidding, is that for Genuine Denso IrIdium Sparkplugs, IK22?

I will try and find a phone number for them and check it out, these are really expensive and Oilman on the other denso thread can't go lower than £49.50 for a set of six based on a group buy of at least 60 plugs!.

If you have a contact number for TMS please let me know, cheers Louis

wirdy
26-09-2005, 12:54 PM
http://www.tmsmotorspares.co.uk/

Louis
26-09-2005, 01:20 PM
PHEW.
They do not stock Denso Iridium plugs.

NGK iridiums are cheaper,

Check out this page which lists prices from sparkplugs .co.uk and shows trhe difference in costs,

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/database/altresults.asp

cheers Louis

ariddell
26-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Stick me down for a set too if possible.

Cheers

wirdy
26-09-2005, 11:43 PM
This is the type of group buy that CVR4 is best at - low volume but still a V good saving on retail.
That's ten isn't it mate - is this a goer?

Louis
27-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Yeah, we are there if Japow is still interested, I will pm him to find out, if anyone else is interested shout out now, as I would like to get mine asap, I will let you all know the how, where, and when soon, cheers Louis

michaeli
27-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Me... IK22's 0.8mm please

Louis
27-09-2005, 06:15 PM
OK so at the moment if everyone is still interested, we have:

1 ME!
2 Michaeli
3 Ariddell
4 Ghanda
5 Axeboy
6 Kieran
7 Wirdy
8 Caishanvr4

Possibley Japow (2 sets), who I have sent a pm to to see if he is still into it, if he is then that is ten and I will get the ball rolling.
If anyone else wants a set shout now, we are not limited to ten sets, ten sets is the minimum order.

cheers Louis

michaeli
30-09-2005, 04:41 PM
BUMP!!!!!

Come on guys, I want mine before next weekend....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wodjno
01-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Put me down for a set please .. :thumbsup:

Louis
02-10-2005, 06:41 PM
HI , Added, so the list is as follows

1 ME!
2 Michaeli
3 Ariddell
4 Ghanda
5 Axeboy
6 Kieran
7 Wirdy
8 Caishanvr4
9 Wodjno

I still haven't heard back from Japow, he said he needed them soon so may have got them, if I don,t hear from him (her) I will assume they don't need them any more.

We need one more buyer and I will get this going, anyone out there please join in, cheers Louis

Louis
06-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Ok, we're off!, I have placed the order and you all have private messages with info etc listed below are all involved

1 ME!
2 Michaeli
3 Ariddell
4 Ghanda
5 Axeboy
6 Kieran
7 Wirdy
8 Caishanvr4
9 Wodjno
10 Japow
11 Japow

cheers Louis

caishanvr4
06-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Louis, ive sent you a PM

Louis
06-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Hi got it, yes Paypal can be accepted.

DOH!.

I had it in my head that there would be an add on charge if we used paypal to my account, BUT I had a check and no charge on personal accounts, so, I can accept payment by paypal to my email address, which is :

louismcmahon@lineone.net

I spoke to supplier and plugs will be sent out to me tomorrow (from Singapore), so will be here soon, cheers Louis

michaeli
06-10-2005, 03:52 PM
will i get the plugs before sunday?

If so I'll paypal you, if not then I'llsend a cheque...

thanks,

mike

PS: Is 0.8mm the recommended gap for spark plugs?

Louis
06-10-2005, 04:48 PM
They are being shipped from Singapore tomorrow, so chances are I won't receive them until next week some time, and then I send directly out to all, so probably "No" to you getting them before sunday, either paypal or cheque is fine by me.
I am desperate for mine and will be fitting them as soon as etc, I've had to wait to get 10 others on board, but it's worth the wait for the cost.
I believe it is a 0.8 gap, I will double check this cheers Louis

Louis
12-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Hi Wirdy,
Got your cheque, I will let you and everyone else know when they arrive, cheers Louis

ghanda
12-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Hey Louis - No PM from you matey

Kieran
12-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey Louis - No PM from you matey

Same here. :inquisiti

Louis
12-10-2005, 03:20 PM
HI,
Sorry guys, I'll try again! it didn't say it hadn't gone!, cheers Louis

ghanda
12-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks Louis - Got it and have Paypalled you.

Louis
12-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi Guys,
First lot of plugs (36) arrived today (when I got in from work, the rest should be here in a couple of days), so I will post Wirdy's out tomorrow, Ghanda pm me your address and I will get yours off next. So come on guys they're here waiting, as soon as I recieve payment I will send them out, cheers Louis

Kieran
12-10-2005, 10:46 PM
....So come on guys they're here waiting, as soon as I recieve payment I will send them out, cheers Louis

Get mine in the post then - Just Paypaled the £47 to you :thumbsup:

wirdy
12-10-2005, 10:53 PM
:thumbsup:

Louis
13-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi,
I just checked my paypal, and they have taken £1.80 as a fee, (even though their fee pages say that there is no charge for receiving payments on personal accounts)!!, So if anyone else is going to pay by paypants! please add an extra £1.80 to the £47 ( £48.80, clever eh!). You don't need to add extra if paying by cheque etc, just paypal.

(for Keiran and Ghanda, no worries on yours, as I though I had sorted this out, I will get yours posted today, cheers Louis)

Louis
14-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi,
Wirdy and Ghanda, yours were posted out first class yesterday afternoon, Wodjno and Keiran I have just posted yours, please let me know when you receive them, ta.

C'mon guys get your cash and addresses to me and I'll get these sent straight out to you, cheers Louis

ghanda
14-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Just got them - Many thanks for all your efforts Louis!

wirdy
14-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Sat on my doormat tonight - Cheers Louis...bobby bargain!

michaeli
14-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Cheque has been sent... have you received it yet?

Louis
14-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Hi Michaeli,
Not yet, I will let you know as soon as it arrives and post out the plugs the same day, I'm sending them 1st class and they seem to be arriving the next day, cheers Louis

Louis
15-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi Michaeli,
Got your cheque and posted your plugs today (Saturday) 3pm, so you should get them Monday or Tuesday, let me know, cheers Louis

Kieran
15-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Hi Louis

The plugs arrived this morning - thanks for sorting that out! :thumbsup:

Japow
16-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Hey Louis did you put me down for 1 or 2 sets? Let me know asap. Also need your paypal address as we're in the information age & that's the way I want to pay! Especially as one day soon cheques will be extinct...

Louis
16-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi Japow,
I had you down for two sets, I have sent you a private message with details (check top right of thread page and click on private message link), cheers Louis (I had to get my first cheque book 6 months ago cos people on ebay weren't accepting paypal!!!) funny old world.

caishanvr4
17-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Just paypaled u louis :thumbsup:

Japow
17-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi Japow,
I had you down for two sets, I have sent you a private message with details (check top right of thread page and click on private message link), cheers Louis (I had to get my first cheque book 6 months ago cos people on ebay weren't accepting paypal!!!) funny old world.

Got the PM thanks - money sent via paypal...

Louis
18-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi guys,
Payments received, Japow, caishanvr4, Axeboy, yours are all packed up and I will post them this afternoon, so you should have them tomorrow am( or the day after), cheers Louis

Louis
18-10-2005, 04:50 PM
HI,
OK all posted out today, Happy new Plugs. Group buy completed. (still trying to get NGK costs, will post when I find out)
The electrode is 0.4 mm I am not 100% sure what the gap should be, but shouldn't be hard to find out.
Thanks to all who participated, I will leave this thread as is, if anyone else wants denso iridiums for £45 plus postage post here or pm me, minimum order of 10, cheers Louis

Axeboy
18-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Cheers Louis

I may have sold my VR4.... but the mods pile will rise for the next one! Hehe

Thanks for sorting this one out.

Wodjno
18-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi Louis..

Sorry forgot to post that i received them.. :embarasse Arrived Saturday morn.. :thumbsup:
Cheers Geezer.. :drummer:

caishanvr4
20-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Recieved with thanks :thumbsup: cheers louis

Japow
20-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Plugs have just arrived - thanks Louis.

ghanda
20-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Will the 4mm be an issue?

Kieran
20-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Will the 4mm be an issue?

4mm just refers to the size of the tip, not the gap - the smaller the tip, the better spark (I think?!). I think the cap is quoted on the individual plug boxes as 0.8 - or if you go to sparkplugs.co.uk, you can search there for the IK22s and double check.

Louis
20-10-2005, 04:06 PM
HI,
The actual spark plug electrode is 0.4 mm (thats part if the selling point, creates a stronger more consistent spark, this size of electrode is not possible without Iridium) I am not 100% sure what the gap should be, I was going for standard recommended gap from original plugs!, I will see what I can find out, cheers Louis

ariddell
20-10-2005, 04:08 PM
That's mine arrived too, thanks!

Louis
20-10-2005, 04:19 PM
HI folks,
Got this info on the sparkplugs.co.uk site, see below, main bit is "plug gap is set at the factory"

Q13. What should my spark plug gap be set to?
A13. Most plugs are preset at the factory and shouldn't need to be adjusted. Please refer to your owners handbook/manual for the correct gap setting. Our part finder application guides will also display recommended gap settings. If you do not have the data available then please refer to the point of sale where you purchased your spark plugs. We will always check plug gap setting data for our customers.

Q14. Should I regap my Iridium spark plugs?
A14. In most circumstances, no. The nature of Iridium spark plugs means that they are able to utilise a larger gap setting while actually requiring less voltage and straining the ignition system less. If you *have* to regap Iridium spark plugs (e.g if misfire occurs due to gap being too large) then do so with extreme care. Do not use a slide type gapping tool or put pressure on the brittle centre electrode in any way as it may become damaged.

Cheers Louis

Axeboy
21-10-2005, 08:32 AM
I got mine a few days back..

Thanks Louis

psbarham
10-11-2005, 10:51 AM
i know this is a bit late , but i can get NGK irdium's for 7 quid each + p+p , i can get as many as people want whenever they want :thumbsup: