PDA

View Full Version : Boost Controller

enigma
01-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Well after a brief period of ownership I want more power! You may have seen my previous posts and my VR4 just aint fast enough...........No car is ever fast enough so its not really a bad thing!

Anyway, after a brief investigation I decided an APEXi AVC-R would do the job, and would look good with the APEXi RSM I have! Locating the device was my next issue, with the sunglasses holder full my quest led me up to the clock housing...........why do I need a clock in the car when I have a perfectly good watch? ;) After a bit of tugging of the top it came off in my hand INSERT INTO post VALUES (in a good way!) revealing it is held on with just 4 spring clip things, go ahead give it a tug! :Eyecrazy:

After this discovery I got myself sorted with a shiny new boxed AVC-R for £240......bargain! Just have to wait for it to arrive now! Cant wait!

So, I notice that some of you guys are pushing 13psi boost........and then the dreaded fuel cut! This was easy to negotiate on the MR2 I had, any tips for removing it on the VR4? Not that I would go beyond 13psi without appropriate other mods, but anything can happen you know! :idea:

Brind
01-09-2003, 05:55 PM
You are really getting into this modifying lark aren't you! :)

Fuel cut defensor will prevent fuel cut, HKS make them.

enigma
01-09-2003, 05:59 PM
There is no point having a car with so much potential and leaving it standar now is there?? :nono:

I have looked at the HKS FCD but it doesn't seem to give a setting for the VR4? Do you run one?

BraindG
01-09-2003, 06:05 PM
i read somewhere youll get away without using one till go go higher that 13psi..

im at 13psi, not had a single issue yet.. basically, when i start having problems with feul cutting.. then i address the issue..

enigma
01-09-2003, 06:27 PM
So is there a lot of difference with 13psi??? What sort of power increase do you reckon you have?

Spirit
02-09-2003, 07:59 AM
Dave - you are a star !

I was toying where to put my RSM when it arrives and was either gonna be in front ot the ashtray INSERT INTO post VALUES (poor to see it); in the sunglasses holder like you and I tried to pull the clock cover off but was a bit scared to try too hard as I thought was screwed in ! Now I know it aint it's another option :D

pjjohnson
03-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Mr BigD,

there are a number of people running higher boost, up to 13psi and beyond. In terms of peak power gains it may not give you much extra, but you get a whole load more torque in the mid range which makes the car appear much faster up to about 5000 rpm. If I was you I would certainly do it. Anyone not agree ?

Darren
03-09-2003, 09:30 AM
I would do it but I don't have the confidence to fit one. Any Idea how much it would cost to get one fitted ?

pjjohnson
03-09-2003, 10:34 AM
I'm not a DIYer, so I've always had 'experts' do tuning for me. And been ripped off a few times along the way.

The first thing the tuners say is that you need to improve the air filter and exhaust before you do up the boost. You're probably looking at £1000+ to do all three with an electronic boost controller.

Before you take the plunge the Dawes Device thingy seems a cheaper option, sub £100, but I don't know if its suitable for a VR4 and if anyones tried it.

enigma
03-09-2003, 11:32 AM
I am very much a DIYer and will be installing the Electronic Boost controller myself. Looks like 5 wires and a tube.......fairly simple stuff! I have already tapped in a connector to the ECU for my RSM so this can be used for some of the signals to the boost controller, I will simply add another connector for the remaining signals. As I have said the controller itself will sit where the clock is! :D

I was thinking about exhausts next.......kinda like the idea of making my own as I have a tube bender and I can weld. Full stainless system with a tip either side grabs me at the moment! Materials wont cost more than about £200! :cool1:

As for a filter, looking at the options........all much of a muchness really, its just which one looks best. I quite like the pipercross viper cold air kits, bit pricy though! I am sure I can knock something up for £50! Performance bits are such a rip off when you know how! :p

haydar
03-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Good on you BigD for going DIY. I firmly believe there is only one way to learn and that's to try it!

However, a few things to warn you about, so you don't damage your engine.

Depending on the boost controller you need to make sure you don't run your car too lean otherwise you'll get overheating problems. Lastly, depending on how much boost you dial in, you'll need a fuel cut-off defensor. Again it's just a wire connection installation.

Good luck.

Brind
03-09-2003, 05:37 PM
I'm a DIYer too, I'll never let anyone do anything for me if it's possible, I just don't have the time or the money most of the time! :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

enigma
03-09-2003, 05:39 PM
I run my MR2 turbo with 16psi of boost, up from the stock 10psi! I found that the turbo couldn't keep up so it was all pretty much self regulating above 4500rpm! Boost dropped right off to about 11psi! :mad: Still made a hude difference to its driveability! :D

I also installed a DIY air fuel ratio meter INSERT INTO post VALUES (about £3 worth of bits!) well aware of the problems leaning out could have!! Didn't suffer with overheating at all, although I did notice intake temps went up quite a bit. I was going to experiment with water injection, but couldn't be bothered!

I have looked for a HKS fuel cut device for the VR4 but one is not listed, I assume as you have one fitted it is possible! Do you have the standard one with the setting selector? If so what setting do you use for the VR4?

Brind
03-09-2003, 05:43 PM
If you're talking to me about the FCD I don't know as I don't have one mate, my car is pretty much standard other than the bits listed in my signature.

Did you try your MR2 down the stip too? if so was it faster than your VR-4?

haydar
03-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Currently I have the setting at 1, but I've had the fuel cut off on me a few times, so I need to adjust it. PJJohnson probably has a lot more info on this since he's had his one for several years and is running quite a high boost.

Also, you're right about the Turbos being self regulating. I found in my car that the power at the wheels would peak quicker on higher boost, but overall power wasn't much affected!

BraindG
03-09-2003, 05:48 PM
All HKS bits that fit on VR4 can be found here (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/info/articles/showarticle.php?id=43)

enigma
03-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Brind, I was talking to Haydar, but you and I posted at the same time so the thread is a bit distorted now!

The MR2 did 14.4@94mph which is a bit quicker than the VR4 but this is down to the Auto box and the huge weight difference! Once my VR4 is puhing 350HP I reckon I'll do 14.0 quick enough for the family car!

The Drag car is an 800 HP Skoda Estelle that is work in progress.......see my website! :cool1:

enigma
15-09-2003, 07:20 PM
grrrrrrrrrrrrr.................third time lucky

My new install..........details to follow!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.hidle/images/AVC-R.jpg

zedy1
15-09-2003, 10:57 PM
looks cool
do you have th insallation manual dave ifso could u email me a copy the basic insttalation diagram would be fine

enigma
16-09-2003, 07:08 AM
Documents for all of the APEXi gear can be found on the American website:

APEXi Documentation (http://www.apexi.com/)

:)

zedy1
17-09-2003, 12:29 AM
cheers dave

Spirit
17-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Dave

Looks great mate - any chance of a detailed install guide for the articles section at some point ?

Pete

enigma
17-09-2003, 12:39 PM
I did some detailed instructions but they vanished and I got a nasty message saying that I used too many images..........grrrrrrrrrrrr!

I will do them again when I calm down!!! :D

Not using the boost control functions yet, just monitoring the standard boost. Seems I quite regularly stabalise at 0.64 bar INSERT INTO post VALUES (9.5psi) but sometimes its less and sometimes a little more. I have had a spike of 0.84 bar INSERT INTO post VALUES (12.3psi) so the standard controller is not fantastic! For those that complained about boost spikes, I think it is something you have to live with!

I only intend to up the boost when I have the inlet and exhaust sorted as I would like to see the power gains acheived using these methods, detailed results will surely follow!

Then when I whack the boost up...........rocketship! hehehehe!

zedy1
18-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by bigdaveakers
Well after a brief period of ownership I want more power! You may have seen my previous posts and my VR4 just aint fast enough...........No car is ever fast enough so its not really a bad thing!

Anyway, after a brief investigation I decided an APEXi AVC-R would do the job, and would look good with the APEXi RSM I have! Locating the device was my next issue, with the sunglasses holder full my quest led me up to the clock housing...........why do I need a clock in the car when I have a perfectly good watch? ;) After a bit of tugging of the top it came off in my hand INSERT INTO post VALUES (in a good way!) revealing it is held on with just 4 spring clip things, go ahead give it a tug! :Eyecrazy:

After this discovery I got myself sorted with a shiny new boxed AVC-R for £240......bargain! Just have to wait for it to arrive now! Cant wait!

where did you buy it from dave?

So, I notice that some of you guys are pushing 13psi boost........and then the dreaded fuel cut! This was easy to negotiate on the MR2 I had, any tips for removing it on the VR4? Not that I would go beyond 13psi without appropriate other mods, but anything can happen you know! :idea:

zedy1
18-09-2003, 12:14 AM
where did you buy it from dave?

enigma
18-09-2003, 07:40 AM
It came from the same source as a lot of my performance goodies...............EBAY!!! The purchase price was about £210 and it was about £30 for shipping from the USA. He seems to have a number still available, get 'em while they are cheap!

APEXi AVC-R BOOST CONTROLLERS ON EBAY $335! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2433220050&category=33598)

zedy1
24-09-2003, 11:08 PM
just baught one. havent thought of a place to fit it yet. is it possible you could show me how the solonoid is connecting and if it has made any difference pics if possible

enigma
25-09-2003, 06:31 AM
I haven't fitted the solenoid yet, but there is a specific diagram in the instructions for the VR4!! I am hoping to fit my exhaust this weekend, depending how that goes the solenoid is the nexy job!:D

zedy1
02-10-2003, 10:39 PM
fitted mine today INSERT INTO post VALUES (all of it) but the f*c*er was faulty so sended it back, kinda gutted. dave is it best to connect the orignal pipeing back together.

enigma
03-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Faulty???? How so?

If you have taken it off again you MUST connect the pipes back up.....or boom!

zedy1
03-10-2003, 08:59 AM
called the guy who i bought it of he said if the solonoids in normally open position should be fine cause the are abit of pain in the ar8e to get to

enigma
10-10-2003, 11:18 PM
WOW!!!! I have installed the solenoid and started playing with the boost levels. I have seen a 20HP increase at the wheels by increasing the boost to 0.9 bar. Its a bit spiky and fiddly to set up.....especially when you are driving! Dont think much to the self learn mode, it seems you have to teach it what to learn! Hey ho!

Boost comes on so quickly it is unreal! I am getting peak power from about 4500 all the way through to 6000rpm, its awesome! However more often than not my peak power is not that much increased................despite pulling 0.9 bar at 5000RPM! I think my air filter is providing a very good restriction! Will have to tinker some more!

Anyone with an AVC-R help with settings they are using?

zedy1
11-10-2003, 09:41 AM
fitted mine last week but was faulty was promised to get it by friday still not arrived. :mad:

Mante
28-10-2003, 05:19 AM
Finally installed the HKS evc, old yes but its been laying around for years.http://www.wam.umd.edu/~hillbj/HKS%20EVC%20installation/DSC00068.JPG

Never the less my vr4 is bone stock for now.