PDA

View Full Version : Need help/ideas - Engine Conversion!

Stezie
13-09-2005, 10:42 AM
/help Yes folks, does anyone know, or know where I can find out about putting an EVO engine in my galant. It needs to stay a 2 ltr! :rolleyes4

I want to give the sport galant a bit more of a sporty feel, so I was thinking of dropping in an evo engine without the turbo maybe! :thumbsup:

Has anyone heard of this being done before as I have a few questions like, what exhaust manifold can be used, what engine management system can be used, and what sort of power figures can the de-turboed evo engine give?? /Hmmm

Also seeing as there is extra power there, is there a gearbox available with an LSD to cope with the extra power? :happy:

_simon_
13-09-2005, 11:49 AM
I'd say that an evo engine without the turbo would be crap. Turbo engines usually have lower compression than N/A engines (until the turbos kick in) so if you're going to ditch the turbo you'd be better getting a 2.0L N/A (which you've probably already got!) :)

ritch_w
13-09-2005, 12:05 PM
fit the evo head, cams and injection to yours

bradc
13-09-2005, 12:06 PM
I'd agree with that, you're probably better to do things like an ECU, intake and exhaust to your car, and see how much that gives you.

enigma
13-09-2005, 01:06 PM
why does it have to stay 2 litre?

There would be a load of work for any engine swap, so why do it for minimal gain?

You may as well just work on your 2 litre engine????

zentac
13-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Yove got a whole heap of research to do before you even consider which engine to go for. Whats the engine code in your car at the moment?

Kieran
13-09-2005, 01:45 PM
It's a 4G63 Rich. It's quite a different unit to the lancer tho.... SOHC for a starter for ten!

Stezie.... How's about a nice, well bedded in 4G32? :deal2: Chain driven!! No cambelts to worry about!! And in it's current state, it'll never ever wear out!! :embarasse :embarasse

zentac
13-09-2005, 02:36 PM
hmmm very interesting, next thing to check is if the engine mounts are all in the same place on the EVO, and if the VR4 gearbox bell housing is the same as an EVO

Stezie
13-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Turbo engines usually have lower compression than N/A engines (until the turbos kick in) so if you're going to ditch the turbo you'd be better getting a 2.0L N/A (which you've probably already got!) :)

Never thought on that one. :thumbsup:

@ritch_w; that sounds like a goot idea. would the evo ecu be needed then i wonder?? /Hmmm

@bradc; but there is noone out there that does galant performance mods! Any ideas where. I was looking at the K&N panel filter alright! What about a superchip? would tthat give me 10BHP if i was lucky?? :inquisiti

@bigdaveakers; it has to stay 2ltr due to tax and insurance reasons over here in Rip Of Ireland! /pan

@zentac: its a 4g93 i think(2.0 16v SOHC). A VR4 gearbox is no good to me. I'm FWD. More ideas though! is it impossible to put in a 4WD system! :rolleyes4

@Kieran: whats the 4g32 engine in, what power does it have? :leer:

So im at a fork in the road, change engine, spend money on this engine or take bits an dpieces from other engines!

What about putting mivec on! what could my options be there???

Kieran
13-09-2005, 04:43 PM
What about putting mivec on! what could my options be there???

Mitsubishi did release a version of the 8G galant in the Hong Kong markets called the Galant VR-M. FWD, and the engine out of the FTO GPX (200bhp MIVEC 2.0litre V6). Mo (Zedy1) bought one once. I nearly bought the same one! Still wouldn't mind a blast in one! /Hmmm

BTW - it's deffo not the 4G93... That's (at least in 8G galant shape, but I believe it was used alongside the 4G15 in some colts) a 1.8ltr GDi unit. Honest - I used to own a 2.0 GLS (same engine as yours) and it was definetly a 4G63. ;)

DUNLY
13-09-2005, 06:54 PM
yup defo 4G63. :thumbsup: . see when they refer to this, is this the block? and if so is that including the crank and all those bits?? cos the evo's are 4G63's but i would imagine they would have a much stronger crank??

zentac
13-09-2005, 07:02 PM
it should be the same block, if it is the Galants FWD gearbox should mate up to the evo engine. If it does you could do an engine transplant in a few week. Custom intercooler, engine drop straight and match up to the Galant Box.... Autronics ECU £2000 fully installed and bobs your uncle.

DUNLY
13-09-2005, 07:09 PM
j tuner, issue 3, page 099 should help maybes :rolleyes4

enigma
13-09-2005, 07:31 PM
I am still missing the point???

Has to be a 2 litre for insurance purposes, but you want more power........

more power = more insuance surely?

Or can you put a 1000BHP 2 litre engine in and it be the same price??

/Hmmm

bradc
13-09-2005, 08:52 PM
I would think that exhaust, intake and ecu would give you about 20hp, which is probably the best option for you, unless you want to go straight to installing a turbo on it.

AllBeItMine
13-09-2005, 09:05 PM
an evo engine without the turbo is a ridiculous idea.

start researching evo 6 engines (keep the turbo). they have more horse power and torque than a VR4 engine and should bolt in with a lot less mods than say a mivec v6.

if you can find an accident damaged car and pick up the whole thing - that might be a good place to start. that way you can get the good brakes, the ECU, the intercooler, the nice recaro interior, the titanium twin scroll turbo... the list goes on.

There are a few pics floating around here of a JGTC 8g galant which is powered by an evo engine.

DUNLY
13-09-2005, 10:02 PM
a galant with an evo engine would be something.. im sure ive read somewhere, that the evo up to the 6th (dont quote me on that) fits straight in. going to do some serious research on this, cos it would be something i would be interested in myself!.

Kieran
13-09-2005, 10:21 PM

Do you *really* want us to answer that?............

/Devil5

Stezie
14-09-2005, 09:47 AM

Has to be a 2 litre for insurance purposes, but you want more power........

more power = more insuance surely?

Or can you put a 1000BHP 2 litre engine in and it be the same price??

/Hmmm

Cause I'm, only a youngster with no sense and they won't insure me over a 2lr for a while yet. And the EVO is a Group20 insurance so no go there either. Besides, bet you don't hear of too many EVO powered Galants! :smug:
Now that sounds good, 1000BHP out of a 2ltr! /Steeringw

Right lads, so say i did stick in a evo turboed engine, what FWD gearboxs are available to me with a LSD? Or can a LSD unit be fitted to the gearbox already there? /Hmmm

Any recomendations for a exhaust system with my current setup? Can you buy a bolt on de-cat pipe for these cars? If so where? :thumbsup: