PDA

View Full Version : Stalling an Auto?!

ghanda
13-09-2005, 04:07 PM
How and why would a Tip stall?

Came to halt after coming off the Motorway, and the car stalled. A few more stops and the rev needle dipped low, but then sttled. The climate control was in full auto mode. A few more stops and it was fine, albeit dipping slightly before assuming the normal idle position.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Kieran
13-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Leaking dump valve causes this.... Basically, ages on boost, then come off boost, valve still open, too much air, not enough fuel, engine either fluffs out or struggles for a split second whilst the fuelling catches up.

Ariadne has started to exhibit this behaviour recently, but not stalled yet. Nearly always bogs down coming off the M1 each morning though. Also noticed that boost pressure starts to drop when on boost.

The standard dump valve has a rubber diagphram and is very prone to splitting/leaking. It also opens on boost a bit anyway as a safeguard - But considering your 370bhp trolley, I think you know all of this from VAG turbo engines - the Mitsu valve is like the 1.8T Bosch one... So a nice piston re-circ will do nicely.

ghanda
13-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Funny - I was thinking that - the standard Valves on VAG 1.8T engines should be classed as a consumable :)

Cheers!

I-S
14-09-2005, 07:38 PM
In my case this happened because my battery was knackered, and then continued because one of the battery connectors on the cable was knackered and not giving a good, tight contact.

ghanda
14-09-2005, 08:37 PM
So who makes a good re-circ dump valve?

Jimbo
14-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Leaking dump valve causes this....

Don't forget my recent and horribly regular issue of stalling due to lower than optimum ATF levels, at times perhaps not even 0.5ltr down.

I thought it was the dump valve as Kieran quite rightly hypothesises, and hopefully yours is exactly this as opposed to gearbox leaks, but don’t rule this out; check your ATF dipstick AFTER the cars been warmed up.

Since my fault was finally identified and sealed back up it hasn't stalled once, running as sweet as ever in fact, but before this it was stalling once or twice per day…almost always after everything had warmed up and had run in 5th for a few miles and then come to a stop. Mitsy convincingly described it to me as the ECU trying to compensate whilst getting extremely confused!

Kieran
14-09-2005, 09:30 PM
So who makes a good re-circ dump valve?

Either Bailey (DV30) or Forge (cant remember model)

ghanda
14-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Cool. And will check AYC fluid in the morning - thanks for that. (Doing an entire fluid change next week)

richy rich
16-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Cool. And will check AYC fluid in the morning - thanks for that. (Doing an entire fluid change next week)
did you do this did it solve the problem.
my wife told me today that the car stalled on her yesterday.
this is after driving for 1/2h or so then going shopping coming back and starting it it stalled twice.
the car has always been a bit of a funny starter when warm.
on warm starts the revs drop low and fells like its going to stall.

ghanda
16-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Well, not quite yet.
No problems with fluids.
Replaced the idle stepper motor.
Improved idle variance (in terms of raising the idle when you move the steering wheel when stationary and switching on the air-con) but still dipping when coming to a halt after a long run /Hmmm
No problem with the Lamda sensor - showing proper voltages throughout the range.
So ..... the only thing I heven't done.....

Taken off my VTA Forge Dump Valve and go back to standard. I've bought an OEM cheapy off Fleabay. If it does the trick, I'll get a proper (ally) one - much to my annoyance as the VTA was the only reason the Girlfriend doesn't like driving the VR :chugchug:

richy rich
16-11-2005, 08:01 PM
thanks for the reply

Kenneth
16-11-2005, 08:10 PM
I found that if you spin your car out fast enough it will stall too! lol

Spun my galant out once and it stalled... was pretty impressive and I still cant fathom how I managed to jump the kerb without the wheels hitting :P (ended up parked nicely on someones grass verge)

thats what you get for having good front tyres and crappy rear tyres on a greasy road /pan

Kieran
16-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Taken off my VTA Forge Dump Valve and go back to standard. I've bought an OEM cheapy off Fleabay. If it does the trick, I'll get a proper (ally) one - much to my annoyance as the VTA was the only reason the Girlfriend doesn't like driving the VR :chugchug:

It does sound like the dump valve (hmm who said that?! :smug: ).... But panic ye not!

If you want to keep the VTA valve, all you need is one of these... The VR-4 needs the Type 'K' I believe:

HKS EIDS (http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=2175)

And here's how to install it:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=144581