PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein shocks

ritch_w
13-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Anyone fitted bilsteins to their GLS or V6???

I would be keen to hear on your thoughts on these especially if eibach springs were used as well? (i'm sure someone here did to a v6)

I reckon i'll probably need new shocks at some point in the future, as lowering didnt make much of a difference to handling - suspension & handling was already pretty good - certainly better than the suspension fitted to the V6 Sport...)

from www.motorsportworld.co.uk they are just under £200 for a set;
BNE-6299 £46.15 (front) BNE-6342 £47.66 (Rear)

I know spirit & red have the Bilstein B12 kit on their VR4s and have given favourable reviews of these.

as an alternative - has anyone used Boge Gas shocks? if so how much and where from :inquisiti

Kieran
13-09-2005, 05:33 PM
When I fitted H&R springs to my old V6, I also fitted the Bilsteins.

The H&Rs weren't progressive, so the ride was firm. However the Bilsteins performed admirably. They took the edge off the worst ruts, whilst at the same time being much more positive than the originals (which were all more or less shot anyway!). Bumps and broken surfaces would often throw the 17s all over the shop, but not once the billies were on. I would go with another set without hesitation.

ritch_w
13-09-2005, 06:10 PM
When I fitted H&R springs to my old V6, I also fitted the Bilsteins.

The H&Rs weren't progressive, so the ride was firm. However the Bilsteins performed admirably. They took the edge off the worst ruts, whilst at the same time being much more positive than the originals (which were all more or less shot anyway!). Bumps and broken surfaces would often throw the 17s all over the shop, but not once the billies were on. I would go with another set without hesitation.

a hearty recomendation then!!! :thumbsup:
where did you uget yours from K?

Kieran
13-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Motorsport World - took about a month to get here though!! :)

ritch_w
15-09-2005, 08:55 PM
ordered a set of KYB "twin tube" (????) Gas shocks for the v6 today.

one of my front struts is p1ss1ng oil, the local motor factors could get the KYBs for roughly the same price, next day, most other places that could offer Bilstein were between 7days - 4 weeks delivery - which is not on!!!!! not with Japshow coming up (close to a 1000 mile round trip by the time i get home from a training course the following week...)

(I think they are KYB Ultra SR - will know when i get them.....)

so KYBs it is, will fit on saturday and post my thoughts next week.

a quick search on t'internet shows KYB to be a reputable jap make and a worthy performance upgrade......... :inquisiti

Kieran
15-09-2005, 09:36 PM
KYB are fitted as OEM equipment to Mitsubishi (and the vast majority of others)anyway - check your casings when you replace the shocks and you'll see. ;)

The shocks are good quality, however they're a big bunch of unhelpful pricks when it comes to the VR-4 /pan . I'll post a story about that when I dig the emails out.

Kieran
15-09-2005, 09:45 PM
More info on KYB products here:

http://www.kayaba.co.uk/mechanic/products_types.html

(VR-4 owners can sod off unless you live in New Zealand. There seems to be a magic forcefield that prevents KYB UK from importing a set from Japan or New Zealand. Gits. /grr )

J.A.P.
10-11-2005, 11:12 AM
ordered a set of KYB "twin tube" (????) Gas shocks for the v6 today.

one of my front struts is p1ss1ng oil, the local motor factors could get the KYBs for roughly the same price, next day, most other places that could offer Bilstein were between 7days - 4 weeks delivery - which is not on!!!!! not with Japshow coming up (close to a 1000 mile round trip by the time i get home from a training course the following week...)

(I think they are KYB Ultra SR - will know when i get them.....)

so KYBs it is, will fit on saturday and post my thoughts next week.

a quick search on t'internet shows KYB to be a reputable jap make and a worthy performance upgrade......... :inquisiti

Sorry, didn't see this post till now. I fitted my V6-24 wagon with Bilstein/Eibachs 18 months ago and it improved the ride/handling dramatically, but still wasn't great. Recently I had it serviced at a Mitsu dealer and had a Geometry test done and now it is really good. They said they just adjusted the tracking, but it feels more balanced, the steering is more precise - transformed.

So my advice is, when you've had it all fitted, get the setup checked!

I-S
16-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Is there any way of fitting a progressive rate spring without lowering the car? Also, would bilsteins on their own (with stock springs) improve the ride any?

Kieran
16-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Is there any way of fitting a progressive rate spring without lowering the car? Also, would bilsteins on their own (with stock springs) improve the ride any?

Not really Issac - but word on the street is that the 'soft' windings on Eibachs are more compliant than the standard ones anyway.

As for the bilsteins, you will probably find that they are firmer than what you've been used to - Simply because they will be new and not soggy!

Speaking from my experience with my Sport, it took about 200 miles for the springs and shocks to bed in a bit and settle down.

I-S
16-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Problem is that I've grounded the car on more than one occasion and really don't need nor want it any lower. I'm happy with the handling, but if there are improvements to be had in ride I'm interested, as no doubt the shocks (and possibly springs) are coming toward the end of their life.

DUNLY
16-11-2005, 08:48 PM
yeah but with new shocks and springs not stiffen the car anyway, therfor not grounding it?

Kenneth
16-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Problem is that I've grounded the car on more than one occasion and really don't need nor want it any lower. I'm happy with the handling, but if there are improvements to be had in ride I'm interested, as no doubt the shocks (and possibly springs) are coming toward the end of their life.

The idea is that you get springs that are stiff enough to stop you bottoming out. while progressive rate springs may lower your ride height a bit, when you reach the stiffer windings there will hopefully be enough to keep the car off the ground.

Kieran
16-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Put it this way Issac.... There were several places where I could catch the chin of my GLS, even when doing less than 5mph.... The suspension was soft enough that it just bonked straight into the ground!

Didn't have the same problem with my Sport, before or after lowering (and it sat slightly lower than the GLS to start with).

I-S
17-11-2005, 12:31 AM
I mean I've grounded it at very low speed on speedbumps and the like.... if the car sat lower to the ground the problem will be worse, no matter how stiff the springs.

Kenneth
17-11-2005, 12:52 AM
I mean I've grounded it at very low speed on speedbumps and the like.... if the car sat lower to the ground the problem will be worse, no matter how stiff the springs.

What is scraping? the front when you come on/off the speed bumps, or the centre as you go over?

Centre: Correct, any height change will directly affect this

Front: your spring rate WILL affect this as will the way you approach the speed hump (diagonally or straight on).

Onto speed hump: your springs have to lift the front wheels, which then put load on the springs which in turn lift the car. saggy springs wont do this quickly enough

Off speed humps: your car loads up the front as it essentially DROPS off the speed hump, your springs directly relate to how far down the nose drops

/additon:
My springs are pre-loaded enough so that I can (in certian circumstances) get 1 wheel lifting off the road. this is because 3 springs are stiff enough to keep the car far enough off the ground not to destroy the underneath of the car! and my car is lowered a reasonable amout :thumbsup:

I-S
17-11-2005, 10:28 AM
The centre of the car. The front gets scraped too, but it's at a particularly kerb-compatible height, so would probably come to less harm if it was lower.

neil and bob
24-11-2005, 10:41 AM
I know this isn't what you asked, but I've got Tein coilovers on my V6, they're great. They can be adjusted for ride height, so no problems with speed bumps. If I get any interest I'll set up an account with Tein.

pezza
24-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Are they bone shakingly hard? Did you fit them yourself? Are these the wagon or super wagon ones? How much?

No further questions yuor honour! :d

I-S
24-11-2005, 12:09 PM
The other issue is that my car has the self-levelling rear suspension, so that complicates matters (in that I know of no third-party parts for the self-levelling equipped cars)

neil and bob
24-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Pezza, no they're not too hard, if you're not too far away, (Sheffield), then come and try it. Yes I fitted them myself, I do fast road and track car prep. mainly on BMs, butother cars too. I'll get a price.