PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil ATF - 6 weeks on

I-S
14-09-2005, 07:35 PM
It's been about 6 weeks since Kieran and I did the work...

1) The lower revs per mph and lower engine temperature I posted about at the time have persisted. This is A Good Thing.

2) Shifts are smoother now.

3) Mechanical lockup comes in sooner

4) Fuel economy. This is decidely improved. With my regular commuting I was getting 28.3-28.5mpg previously (better than I'd thought). With no change in driving style this immediately jumped to 29.5-29.8mpg. Good start.

However, it seems to have more impact on long journey economy. Over the easter weekend (prior to changing the ATF) I did a run to my parent's house in gloucester from oldham. I arranged everything to give the best possible mpg... filled up the car from warm on the friday morning and drove straight down deserted motorways on the friday afternoon at a constant 70mph all the way. Same back up on the sunday until I stopped to get fuel so as not to "spoil" the result by having additional engine starts or commuting on that tank. That got me 36.6mpg.

A couple of weeks ago I went down to my parent's place again. Also bank holiday weekend, but the friday wasn't off so the motorways were packed. Thus rather than drive down the M6/M5 I went down the A49, with all the stop/start that entailed, plus a few overtaking maneuvers on caravans. Driving back on the sunday was an easy run up the motorway, but I then commuted for a week (presumably around my 29.5-29.8 level as before) before filling up again. The result was 36.4mpg!

Now driving with a stupidly light foot and trying to save fuel as much as possible on my commute (8 miles of NSL steep hills, 4 miles of 30mph in city traffic) I'm getting 33.6mpg.

This is a pretty damn good improvement. I suspect it's a combination of more efficient power transfer in the box and the knock-on effect of lower engine temperature and the increased efficiency due to more mechanical lockup use. I do wonder what the impact on a pod run would be? /Hmmm :inquisiti

Overall, given that the price arranged through the club discount isn't horrific and that this is basically the ONLY SPII/SPIII compatible fluid available along with the increased temperature range and longer life, I can only give this stuff a MASSIVE :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Do it. You know your car is worth it.

ritch_w
14-09-2005, 07:51 PM
good info Isaac :thumbsup:

Kieran
14-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Think I'll give it a whirl next time then! /yes

-LegnumVR4-
15-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Good to see its working great :)

I-S
27-10-2005, 08:20 AM
I don't know what the learning period of the TCU is... perhaps it's been the change to a more gentle driving style, but it's now even smoother, even on a 3-2 downshift down a hill with no throttle.

I love this stuff.

Hmmm, I have an idea...

jakester
27-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Is there are writeup somewhere on doing the gearbox oil change?, do you have to do it twice?, I know with my other autos it took 2 changes to get the majority of the old stuff replaed with the new as just taking the drain plug out wouldn't get all the oil to flush. There was quite a bit in the torque convertor etc, so we had to drain it, fill it, drive it, the do it again, did you change the filter also?

I-S
27-10-2005, 10:16 AM
We did Kieran's patent NinjaFlush(tm) (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10265) method which flushes out the converter and cooler also. After the change the fluid was bright bright red on the dipstick (rather than red-brown after mitsu did it and brown before they did it)