PDA

View Full Version : Excel/Interview Help

Sulli
19-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Your an intelligent bunch :inquisiti /Hmmm :joker:

I need to devise, or nick, a test for MS Excel.
I am interviewing for an Admin Officer on Wednesday, and want to guage their ability on Excel - it's not necessary that they are experts, just competent.
Any ideas on a short test?
I tried googling, but didn't find much.
Cheers

andy43
19-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Intelligent bunch? Whoah I'm out of my depth here - not got the slightest clue about Excel, prefer the Elise myself /Hmmm
Car's going well - done 1300 miles so far - it's a happy little beasty apart from the drink problem :chugchug:
Maintenance to date includes engine oil/filter (more Silkolene Pro-S from the Oilman in today after a week or so's flushing with cheapo Comma), AYC, diff and transfer box done, and a couple of wax'n'polish sessions to keep the shine up - I'd forgotten what it's like having a dark coloured car that shows the dirt up as soon as it's been rained on /pan
Looks a million dollars when it's clean tho'
May well get drawn into minor modding soon :rolleyes4 I've got hold of some defi-style oil press/temp and boost gauges to go in somewhere, and a Momo Evo wheel and airbag - just need some time to fit 'em.
And /yes the cat's still on!!
Hope all's well with you, cheers, Andy

Bal
19-09-2005, 11:18 PM
see if they know what pivot tables are and how to write basic fomula to calculate stuff. if they can do these two things then that's good enough.

wirdy
20-09-2005, 09:54 AM
'Pivot table' is a bit advanced for basic skills!

I did my basic ECDL last year - for anyone used to IT it isn't hard - but you can always learn new ways of doing things. & for all of you who think they know it all - have a go at some of the ECDL advanced tests - they're a bit more challenging /yes

I found I had enough spare time on the basic course to complete the advanced ECDL syllabus / sample tests as well - but couldn't do the real test because the tutor wasn't allowed (accredited?) to issue the test paper /grr I must get round to doing the test sometime.

So for basic Excel competance- try this Sample test (http://www.ecdl.co.uk/mod4.php?style=scn) from ECDL.

Smokinmasta2
20-09-2005, 11:02 AM
'Pivot table' is a bit advanced for basic skills!

I did my basic ECDL last year - for anyone used to IT it isn't hard - but you can always learn new ways of doing things. & for all of you who think they know it all - have a go at some of the ECDL advanced tests - they're a bit more challenging /yes

I found I had enough spare time on the basic course to complete the advanced ECDL syllabus / sample tests as well - but couldn't do the real test because the tutor wasn't allowed (accredited?) to issue the test paper /grr I must get round to doing the test sometime.

So for basic Excel competance- try this Sample test (http://www.ecdl.co.uk/mod4.php?style=scn) from ECDL.

What he said :thumbsup: Basic things like knowing about active cells, basic mathmatics, perhaps see if they can do a simple graph from some imported data. Also useful if they know about impoting data from simple text reports/or other docs
- always quite useful

Smokin.................

Nick VR4
20-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Ask them the max amount of rows allowed in excel :scholar:

Reason is that data can be lost if adding large amounts of data from CVS files etc

wirdy
20-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Ask them the max amount of rows allowed in excel :scholar:

Reason is that data can be lost if adding large amounts of data from CVS files etc

From memory...64K ?

_simon_
21-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Yip, and it tells you that it couldn't load the whole file so they'd have to be a moron to loose data.

Nick VR4
21-09-2005, 06:05 PM
From memory...64K ?

65536 AFAIK

Kieran
21-09-2005, 09:23 PM
65536 AFAIK

Or, 64K!!! /lol

[Assuming a 1024 figure]