PDA

View Full Version : hello!

nodding_dino
19-09-2005, 10:55 PM
thought it would be a bit rude of me to register and start asking questions without saying hello first....so...

HELLO!

I am currently on the lookout for a Galant, and am hoping to get plenty of insider knowledge from you good people to make sure I buy a peach! /help

Nick Mann
20-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Welcome and good luck!

Feel free to ask questions, we are happy to answer them! Please also remember the Search facility on the toolbar above - if you ask a question about insurance or mpg, we arelikely to give a sarcastic reply!!

Also feel free to point out cars you are interested in. You may find someone else here can tell you its a dog, or offers to come and look at it with you.
Enjoy your time in the CVR4 world!

nodding_dino
20-09-2005, 02:26 PM
thanks for the welcome Nick! I am a big fan of forum searches and Google so hopefully no questions from me that have been asked a thousand times over (although no promises!).

I will definetely let you all know about any cars that I'm looking at...the possibility of getting an 'expert' to come along and take a gander is really appealing! I am after a 2.5 V6 and am just waiting for 'the right one' to show it's shiny face to me ;)

I'll let you all know how I get along!

Just out of curiosity, anything obvious I need to keep an eye open for when looking? I have 5k to spend so reckon on a 1999/2000+ with 70k+ miles?

Nick Mann
20-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Just out of curiosity, anything obvious I need to keep an eye open for when looking? I have 5k to spend so reckon on a 1999/2000+ with 70k+ miles?

Nothing substantial that you wouldn't look for on any other second hand car.

The tappety noise is normal - search on Lash Adjusters or Hydraulic Lifters.
The gearbox in the manual car can become noisy, and often grinds into second when cold. People have spent money on sorting these out, but I can't name anyone who has broken down from it. Again, searching in the non-vr4 area should give you some clues.
If you go for the Sport version, be aware that the 17's are not very good at staying round!

After that, the G is normally a very reliable car.

nodding_dino
20-09-2005, 03:02 PM
thanks Nick...found those gems last night, but thanks for the confirmation, I take it that they can do a few miles so 70K+ shouldn't be a problem?

Kieran
20-09-2005, 04:04 PM
thanks Nick...found those gems last night, but thanks for the confirmation, I take it that they can do a few miles so 70K+ shouldn't be a problem?

Indeed. My GLS had 84,000 when I purchased it, my V6 Sport 74,000 and my VR-4 had about 90,000 miles on it. As with many cars of this size, if they're looked after they will have a long and heathly life.

Brunty
20-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Welcome to the forum - as our two galant* experts (up there^) have stated there is a wealth of experience and advice on these pages - but you're off to a great start, you've found CVR4 and you're gonna be picking a great car.

Hope everything works out - let us know which cars you're looking at and what you think.....

Cheers

Steve

*little g - I'm good to you guys.

nodding_dino
20-09-2005, 06:49 PM
I've asked my parents (that makes me sound like I'm 17 :) ) to take a look at this one for me tomorrow...if it passes their 'mmm it's nice and shiny' test, I'll probably drive down and take a proper look...any thoughts?

click me! (http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_popup.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=MITSUBISHI&model=GALANT&variant=&keywords=&min_pr=4000&max_pr=&mileage=&agerange=&postcode=nn14+1ta&miles=1500&max_records=50&source=2&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=8&distance=116&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200537206746020)

richy rich
20-09-2005, 06:58 PM
welcome.
i think the best £20 you can spend is on membership.
it will give you even more info, take it from some one who didnt and regrets it.

nodding_dino
20-09-2005, 07:05 PM
I was going to do that last night but tired eyes got the better of me...will do so this evening ;)

richy rich
20-09-2005, 07:11 PM
I was going to do that last night but tired eyes got the better of me...will do so this evening ;)
good on you :thumbsup:

richy rich
20-09-2005, 07:14 PM
also if you can get down to japshow there will be a load you can learn on days like these.
only been twice but the info you can get is so good.

Kieran
20-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Yeah, maybe pop down before you make a purchase - You can see all the models and gain invaluable information! :thumbsup:

psbarham
20-09-2005, 10:02 PM
first off , hello and welcome to the nut house aka CVR4 , mileage is not a problem on these cars , my V6 has now done 133000 miles and the only fluid she needs is petrol ( 36mpg sorry had to rub it in to the vr4 boys :smug: ) and washer fluid , she starts first twist of the key and is never a problem , as has been said before try and meet up with the club at a show or another member that is local to you or the car and you shouldn't go far wrong :thumbsup:

ANTHONY
20-09-2005, 10:14 PM
If you go for the Sport version, be aware that the 17's are not very good at staying round!

. oh do tell me more nick........... i'm worried now.............oh and by the way hello and welcome:smug:

Paul Beazer
20-09-2005, 10:24 PM
I know what nicks on about, Oh Hi by the way! I bought Nicks ols V6 sport off him. Nice car, but if you're hard on the alloys the std 17" are a bit soft! If you dont kerb it and arent battering down rough bumpy roads you should be fine.
Besides the one you're looking at in Bournemouth isnt a sport. Personally i like the bodykit that comes on the sports (well i would say that seeing as i own one). But not all the sports are that highly spec'd. TCL (traction control) and cruise control arent std on these models and leather ones are rare as...
Depends what you want really.
If you have a look at one take it for a spin and keep your ears open for noisy gearboxes (man and auto) Tappet noise is pretty common, but with the right treatment can be cured or reduced at least (oil flushes etc).
Cant think of anything else to lookout for specifically, but feel free to ask away. Happy shopping.

Come to think of it there were a couple for sale here, dunno if they're all gone now?

Welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

nodding_dino
20-09-2005, 10:37 PM
well, I've officially signed up...20 of my hard earned on it's way through paypal as we speak (type!).

What are the main differences between the standard V6 and the sport?

psbarham
20-09-2005, 10:46 PM
well, I've officially signed up...20 of my hard earned on it's way through paypal as we speak (type!).

What are the main differences between the standard V6 and the sport?
good man :thumbsup: the main differnece is the body kit and the sport has 17"wheels which as already been said are made of blu tack , the higher spec v6 (like mine :happy: )has cruise control ,head light washers, climate control and a brown mottled plastic trim (wood look :embarasse ) the only other option i know of was heated leather

nodding_dino
20-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Come to think of it there were a couple for sale here, dunno if they're all gone now?

got all excited to see one for sale on here - and REALLY local too...but got to the end of the thread and found it sold :(

AncientOfMu
20-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Hi and welcome :).

i did a lot of research on galants prior to choosing mine.

I have a V6-24 on an '02 plate (see members cars)

ok for the Y-reg you are looking at leather, nardi wood steering wheel, 6 disc cd changer and TCL were all options. Had cruise as standard i think. you only get 15" alloys with the V6-24, but they may be a better wheel. V6 Sport had harder suspension, 17" alloys, different front bumper and grill, Sport tailpipe.

I purchased a V6-24 because I couldn't find a V6 Sport of the right age condition or mileage. To be honest I'm happier with the V6-24 because it has a higher internal spec.

To give you some idea of price if you don't have one already I paid 6K for my '02 V6-24 with leather and CD Changer, with 86K FMSH and 2 owners one of those being Mitsu themselves.

If I can be of anymore help just shout. :thumbsup:

nodding_dino
20-09-2005, 11:14 PM
great looking car Ancient! Those 17's really suit it! I think I need to get out and have a look at a few cars. Shame they're so few and far between...!

just spotted this sport on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4575879216&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1)...looks real purty...not sure where the price will end up though, it's also a bit of a trek to deepest darkest somerset!

ritch_w
21-09-2005, 10:48 AM
welcome to the club :thumbsup:

i have owned a v6 sport, VR4 and now a V6-24, so here what i think;

V6 Sport (tip) - great car, crap suspension - change to eibach springs for a total transformation, great looks, not as well speced as the V6-24

VR4 (tip)- quick, thirsty, expensive to fix, amazing handling

V6-24 (manual) - high mileage - mechanically its a peach, quicker & smoother than v6 sport, better speced than the sport (leather, cruise, headlamp washers etc etc), more mpg than autos. only thing it lacks is the sports looks

if you go for a sport - try and get the latest you can - some 2002/2003 sports (or elegance) had most of the V6-24 spec

happy hunting :thumbsup:

nodding_dino
21-09-2005, 11:01 AM
thanks ritch...I've found a 2000(W) auto v6 sport with 65K on the clock but the service history has been 'lost' I've tried calling a couple of service depts near it's location but none have it registered with them (am waiting on a call back though). Is this barge pole time, or is it still worth considering? It's up at £5k but I'm going in with paper money so should be able to pull it down a touch. Any thoughts?

You See
21-09-2005, 11:07 AM
great looking car Ancient! Those 17's really suit it! I think I need to get out and have a look at a few cars. Shame they're so few and far between...!

just spotted this sport on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4575879216&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1)...looks real purty...not sure where the price will end up though, it's also a bit of a trek to deepest darkest somerset!

"2001 MITSUBISHI GALANT 2.5 V6 SPORT (LIKE THE EVO!!)" ...haha YEAH RIGHTTTT! Like the EVO less the power, handling, WoW factor....but you do get added bodyroll. /grr

AncientOfMu
21-09-2005, 11:34 AM
thanks ritch...I've found a 2000(W) auto v6 sport with 65K on the clock but the service history has been 'lost' I've tried calling a couple of service depts near it's location but none have it registered with them (am waiting on a call back though). Is this barge pole time, or is it still worth considering? It's up at £5k but I'm going in with paper money so should be able to pull it down a touch. Any thoughts?

It depends on what youre budget and plans for the car are.

I personally wouldnt touch a car without service history unless id had a long conversation with the previous owner.

If you are intending to change wheels, suspension, brakes etc then a V6-24 may suit you better due to the higher spec. In my opinion 5k for a 2000 sport with no service history is expensive. People tend to want more for the Sport just because it has Sport in the name but remember most of the changes were cosmetic and the engine isn't actually any better. Also to give you more information and ideas my '02 V6-24 was sold for 3.5k trade in before i purchased it for 6k /grr .

You are doin the right thing and i would heartily recommend waiting for the right car at the right price. Also make sure you know the cost of parts, servicing etc just in case cars you go to look at need work doing. Extra barganing tool.

Why not the VR-4? you can get a damn good one for around 6-7k??? /Hmmm

nodding_dino
21-09-2005, 11:46 AM
thanks for the great advice! To be honest I'm not worried whether I end up with a sport or not...the car will be a long term one for me so adding wheels, upgrading brakes etc is something I'm happy to do piecemeal.

The only reason against a VR-4 is that this is supposed to be my 'sensible' car. With twolittle kiddies, I'm after something a bit grown up that will take the car seats and paraphenalia. I'm a bit worried about the cost of owenrship with a VR-4 ;)

OK - just got a call back from the dealer (Avenue Cars Bromsgrove) to say that he has an invoice for timing belt plugs and oil dated 07.07.05 Looks like the previous owner may have had this done outside of the dealer network.

Out of interest, at what price (realistically) do you this car would become 'viable'?

ritch_w
21-09-2005, 12:32 PM

NOOOOO - DO NOT BUY WITHOUT HISTORY
too much money for no SH, £3k or less is the right money for that one.

think on this - my 2002 V6 sport (mint, 49K FSH) was traded in for £6.5K (made me cry less than half what i paid for it)

my 2001 V6-24 (107K) has FSH and was way less than £4K, do not buy without history as these cars (like BMWs and other quality cars) can hide mileage given the high level of engineering and build quality.

nodding_dino
21-09-2005, 12:46 PM
fine - that one's struck off my list!

DUNLY
21-09-2005, 01:24 PM
I personally wouldnt touch a car without service history unless id had a long conversation with the previous owner.

/Hmmm
when i bought my galant last year it had a full servive hsitory, spot on, that was one of the reasons that enticed me to it, along with the low mileage. went to service it myself a few month back, and found:

fuel filter was prob the original as it was so badly corroded and inside was manky.
Oil filter hadnt looked as if it had been changed in a long long time (im talking years)
and it was supposedly serviced 9k ago hmmmm /Hmmm
personally if i was to go for a car that i really liked it, it wouldnt matter whether it had a full service history or not. i would just make sure i had a real good look around and under it.

and give it a good service and timing belt myself when i got it. cos at the end of the day dunno how its been looked after.

This is just my personal opinion.

maybe i just got a bad 1. :embarasse .

good luck on the hunting, the right one is calling your name :thumbsup: :drummer:

Nick Mann
21-09-2005, 01:57 PM
No history would not necessarily put me off. But bear in mind the full service is at 54k so if the car had 60k on it and no history, I would want the full service done to put my mind at rest. Bear in mind that a full service on a V6 is in the region of £600.

I am only 10 miles ish from Avenue, so give me a shout if you do head over for a look!

nodding_dino
21-09-2005, 05:08 PM
I am only 10 miles ish from Avenue, so give me a shout if you do head over for a look!

Will do!

Nick Mann
21-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Just spoken to someone who knows the garage - Avenue apparently have a very good reputation in Bromsgrove. Doesn't answer the lack of SH though!

nodding_dino
21-09-2005, 06:59 PM
I had quite a long chat with Carl from Avenue and he seems to have sold the car to it's current owner...he's convinced it's 'a corker' but then he is a salesman ;)

Useful to know that they have a good local reputation...thanks for finding out!

nodding_dino
23-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Well, just come back from viewing the 2.5 in Bournemouth. I must admit, it seems to be in great condition. A nice metallic dark plum colour, started nicely off the key and a test drive showed a very smooth sounding engine. The cream leather interior is very tidy, in fact the only fault I could find was some slight blemishes on the stock alloys. 76K but a full service history at a main dealer...

I'm going to take another look at it tomorrow...I'm tempted, the price just needs to come down a bit ;)

ritch_w
23-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Well, just come back from viewing the 2.5 in Bournemouth. I must admit, it seems to be in great condition. A nice metallic dark plum colour, started nicely off the key and a test drive showed a very smooth sounding engine. The cream leather interior is very tidy, in fact the only fault I could find was some slight blemishes on the stock alloys. 76K but a full service history at a main dealer...

I'm going to take another look at it tomorrow...I'm tempted, the price just needs to come down a bit ;)

more info pls!!! :thumbsup:
age? model? post up as much info as poss and i'm sure you'll get some guidance on a "fair" price :thumbsup:

nodding_dino
23-09-2005, 07:47 PM
OK, here goes!

Y plate (2001?)
Saloon
2.5 V6 (not sport)
Auto (tiptronic - are they all?)
76K on the clock
Dark Plum metallic (I'm sure it's got a proper name ;) )
Full main dealer service history with proper intervals.
Cream/light tan leather interior (spotless)
nardi (?) wheel and trim
All the normal toys
Tidy all round

Drives nicely, (although I'm no expert!). No knocking on full lock either direction...kick down is punchy and seems to want to accelerate forever! No untoward noises on the test drive. Have organised another drive for tomorrow morning.

Dealer wants 5295...

Any advice GREATLY appreciated! I'd hoped to sneak into the members area by now to see what other info is there but since paying I haven't heard (I think the membership gets updated weekly?) so I'm relying on you guys!

AncientOfMu
23-09-2005, 08:16 PM
OK, here goes!

....Y plate (2001?)

Prolly :)

....Saloon
....2.5 V6 (not sport)
....Auto (tiptronic - are they all?)

After '99 Invecs II box as standard on autos yes.

....76K on the clock

High milaege for year

....Dark Plum metallic (I'm sure it's got a proper name ;) )

Roanne Red

....Full main dealer service history with proper intervals.

Should be good

....Cream/light tan leather interior (spotless)

Optional extra I think :inquisiti

....nardi (?) wheel and trim

Optional too i think :inquisiti

....All the normal toys
....Tidy all round

Drives nicely, (although I'm no expert!). No knocking on full lock either direction...kick down is punchy and seems to want to accelerate forever! No untoward noises on the test drive. Have organised another drive for tomorrow morning.

Dealer wants 5295...

Any advice GREATLY appreciated! I'd hoped to sneak into the members area by now to see what other info is there but since paying I haven't heard (I think the membership gets updated weekly?) so I'm relying on you guys!

Sounds reasonably priced. I personally would start the haggling at 4300 quoting the known problems with the car i.e. scuffed alloys, parking dints etc.

Sounds like it should be a good car though. What i did with mine and you may be able to do is pull the previous owners name and address off the ownership document and find thier phone number on 192.com then ask them about thier experience with the car.

Warranty offered?? are you Part exchanging? paying by cash? all of these things will affect the value and how much the delear is willing to negotiate.

Remember he prolly paid 3 - 3.5 at the very most for it so im sure there will be some room to manuever.

Disclaimer.... These opinions are just my own. Don't hold me responsible :P

Anyways best of luck :thumbsup:

nodding_dino
23-09-2005, 08:44 PM
thanks for the opinions ancient! I'll be paying cash, no PX, so should be good to knock a few quid off...it's a good idea about the prior owner...I'll see if I can get a name.

I didn't want to start haggling until I'd seen the car and had time to report back to you good people...so I'll keep you posted!

If anyone else wants to chime in - you have until lunchtime tomorrow!

Missbitchy
23-09-2005, 09:23 PM
HELLO AND WELCOME /Handbag

I hope you come down and say hello at the japshow !!!

You can see some wonderfull cars on the stand to help you deside what model you will want ( thats if you haven't got one by then )

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: /Steeringw :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ritch_w
23-09-2005, 09:44 PM
colour will probably be trigger moave - its purply pearlescenty

mahe sure the cambelts were changed at 54k, TBh thats an ok dealer price, try and get it down to £4.5 (start lower) with some sort of warranty, min 3 month (although you prob wont need it..)

sounds like a decent motor, and will be run in properly after another 30K :thumbsup:

SGHOM
23-09-2005, 10:14 PM
before you buy mate, come to japshow & meet us all. /yes
october 9th, santa pod. we can point you in the right direction when it comes to buying a galant ! :thumbsup: