PDA

View Full Version : Noise in 3rd - Auto

ariddell
20-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Guys,
I've been noticing since i got my car that it is a bit noisier in 3rd than it is in any other gear. It's a kind of whining noise and only seems to be there in 3rd, no other gear.

The shifts are smooth, the car runs fine but am just not sure if i should be worried about this noise. It has occasionally made a mechanical ticking when in 1st at low speeds when stuck in traffic etc that rises with engine rpm and sounded like it may have been from the gearbox too but i haven't heard it often enough to pinpoint yet..

Any ideas, anything to worry about?

Cheers

Al

Kieran
20-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Guys,
I've been noticing since i got my car that it is a bit noisier in 3rd than it is in any other gear. It's a kind of whining noise and only seems to be there in 3rd, no other gear.

The shifts are smooth, the car runs fine but am just not sure if i should be worried about this noise. It has occasionally made a mechanical ticking when in 1st at low speeds when stuck in traffic etc that rises with engine rpm and sounded like it may have been from the gearbox too but i haven't heard it often enough to pinpoint yet..

Any ideas, anything to worry about?

Cheers

Al

Mine does exactly the same - 3rd is quite noisy....as you say, it whines and you hear a lot of transmission noise as it engages 4th (though as soon as 4th's in, it goes quiet).

Shifts are smooth and fuss-free, so I've put it down to normal usage/wear (my car is just coming up to 100,000 miles) I'm not unduly worried.

ariddell
20-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Damn, I guess i'll have to find something else to worry about instead then! /Hmmm