PDA

View Full Version : Intake restrictions

Rally205
20-09-2005, 03:09 PM
After having read a very interesting article about Negative Boost or intake restriction I decided to measure the restriction on my own car and see just how bad the VR4's intake is.

I built my own Manometer in true Blue Peter fashion using an old pop bottle, a stick, some windscreen washer hose and some coloured water. The next decision was where to measure the pressure drop in the intake system. I decided on one at entry to the front turbo and another on the rear turbo to give an overall figure and then one in front of the air filter to measure the intake snorkel and another in the air box after the air filter to measure how restrictive the standard filter element is. I also placed one just after the 'Y' pipe to the front turbo as I thought that it may be a restriction.

All I did for the connections to the manometer was to drill a small hole at each point and glued a small plastic nipple into the hoses and airbox. I then ran the washer hose back into the car and enlisted the help of a friend to read the measurements whilst I drove and called out the revs. We measured all points in 3rd gear, full throttle and at every 1000rpm increment. After one measurement was done I stopped the car, popped the bonnet and moved the pipe to another measurment point.

The results were a little tricky to observe as at the turbo inlets the pressure drop is so much that it sucked the water right out the top of the manometer and nearly into the engine /help. It was also tricky to get a full throttle reading at 2000rpm so we started at 3000 and upto the redline.

So the results were:

Front Turbo Rear Turbo

Revs inches of water Revs inches of water

3000 15 3000 14
4000 32 4000 26
5000 40+ 5000 36
6000 no reading as off 6000 40+
scale at 40.

Before Filter After Filter

Revs inches of water Revs inches of water

3000 4 3000 4
4000 7 4000 10
5000 10 5000 15
6000 11 6000 14
7000 7 7000 10

After 'Y' Piece

Revs inches of water

3000 7
4000 11
5000 20
6000 30
7000 23

So it would appear that the standard air filter is very efficient and does not cause much restriction. The higher the number the greater the restriction.
That horrible plastic pipe going to the front turbo that looks very restrictive actually isn't much worse than the nice large round pipe going straight to the rear turbo and the worst offender is the 'Y' piece.

I will also try a measurement just after the MAF to see how restrictive that is.

Now I will use my manometer to find the stagnation point on the front of the car and see if I can get some positive pressure in the airbox /Hmmm

Kieran
20-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Pressure drop is on the edge of my knowledge and I don't know very much about it, but this makes sense to me - Thanks for being so clear.

Interesting results.... How long before Rally205/BDA 'Y' Pipes then? /Steeringw :scholar:

Quail
20-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Wow, nice work :D

bradc
20-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Nice research, it seems that a change to an airfilter for each turbo and a nice big pipe running to each is quite important

Kenneth
20-09-2005, 09:41 PM
you get that from AutoSpeed?

Read an article there some time back... Since then I have never been that interested in stuff like pod filters.

Good on you for actually getting out and taking the measurements.

On a side note, since you have the manometer, would you be willing to do some aerodynamic tests?

ie: have the manometer able to do both negative and positive pressure, then place one end at different points on the car (mostly interested in bonnet and front air-dam) to see how the pressure changes with speed.

Would hopefully give some indication on where it is a good idea to put vents and such.

Dan_G
20-09-2005, 11:07 PM
you get that from AutoSpeed?

Read an article there some time back... Since then I have never been that interested in stuff like pod filters.

yeah me too... read that same article.... but then my session ended and now i cant read anyting on autospeed without paying.....

Rally205: good to know what sort of restrictions the VR4 intake has.... good info... good that..... and also out of curiousity.....did you measure the pressures before and after the MAF?

Dan

Marcel
21-09-2005, 07:29 AM
You probably have to go that way to get better flow and small restriction.

Do you recognise the car? :leer:

Rally205
21-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Yes guys, it was Autospeed. Great magazine.

Kenneth, I am going to find where is the best place to put an air intake. I will post my results.

Dan, I measured the airbox just after the air filter and before the MAF. I still have to do the measurement after the MAF.

Marcel, nice car mate. Have you replaced all of the intake pipes?

Marcel
21-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Yes guys, it was Autospeed. Great magazine.

Kenneth, I am going to find where is the best place to put an air intake. I will post my results.

Dan, I measured the airbox just after the air filter and before the MAF. I still have to do the measurement after the MAF.

Marcel, nice car mate. Have you replaced all of the intake pipes?

Yes all the piping is changed to 2,5` better flowing ones and after the intercooler the piping is 3`.
After replacing them the car breathe much better and the response is quicker.

Quail
21-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Is there any pros/cons to using silicon hoses instead of metal?

Kieran
21-09-2005, 09:12 PM
And slightly OT, but as it's been mentioned....

I've considered a subscription to Autospeed before now.... Worth doing? :inquisiti

/Sorry for the /Hijack

Rally205
22-09-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't think that silicon hoses would make any difference to metal pipes. Especially on the intake side of the turbos. The restriction is caused by the torturous route that the pipes take and the fact that the rubber sections are convoluted pipe which is not good for flow.

K. Autospeed is a wealth of information for DIY modifications and a bloody good read. Well worth the subscription.

The aim for my car is lots of power for next to no money. I already have a host of mods ready to go on the car and I will be doing them soon hopefully. Then I will post details and results along with costs and where to source the parts required cheaply :smug: :thumbsup:

Kieran
22-09-2005, 10:24 AM
K. Autospeed is a wealth of information for DIY modifications and a bloody good read. Well worth the subscription.

The aim for my car is lots of power for next to no money. I already have a host of mods ready to go on the car and I will be doing them soon hopefully. Then I will post details and results along with costs and where to source the parts required cheaply :smug: :thumbsup:

Thanks Marcus - And I await details of your mods with interest!! /yes