PDA

View Full Version : excess carbon build up

am2801
21-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Anyone got any suggestions on additives for my car?

Problem is i kick out blue smoke when giving the car a bit of welly, usually uphill at about 3500 onwards in 1st, 2nd etc.
We know it's a carbon build up and nothing untoward.
For nearly 2 years now i've been trying to blow it out one way or another
but it still does it especially when my petrol's low

I've tried wynns petrol treatment and red-ex they made it better for a while
but it still does it /Hmmm

Roadrunner
21-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Anyone got any suggestions on additives for my car?

Problem is i kick out blue smoke when giving the car a bit of welly, usually uphill at about 3500 onwards in 1st, 2nd etc.
We know it's a carbon build up and nothing untoward.
For nearly 2 years now i've been trying to blow it out one way or another
but it still does it especially when my petrol's low

I've tried wynns petrol treatment and red-ex they made it better for a while
but it still does it /Hmmm
More likely to be worn piston rings or valve stem oil seals than carbon build-up. I doubt if additives will improve the situation (confirmed by you saying that you've had it for nearly two years ;) ).

am2801
21-09-2005, 04:22 PM
It doesn't do it every time
However if it is either of the above could this have been caused by being driven with the timing out 4degs.
It wasn't me it was the bloke i bought it off. as soon as i got it i had it tuned, b4 i drove it any further.
Tell u what i'll pick some1's brains at santapod i.e. Kieran!!! it's probably easier to tell in reality.

thanx for the info tho' H.7 just hope it's not that

Roadrunner
21-09-2005, 08:19 PM
It doesn't do it every time
However if it is either of the above could this have been caused by being driven with the timing out 4degs.
It wasn't me it was the bloke i bought it off. as soon as i got it i had it tuned, b4 i drove it any further.
Tell u what i'll pick some1's brains at santapod i.e. Kieran!!! it's probably easier to tell in reality.

thanx for the info tho' H.7 just hope it's not that
OK, I'll be at Santa Pod too so see you then! :)

wirdy
21-09-2005, 09:14 PM
As Brian says- blue smoke=oil smoke.

Was the car running very rich before you got it tuned? (bore wash?) The only way of telling for sure whether it's worn valve guides or worn bores / rings is to do a compression test, first 'dry' and then with some light oil squirted in through the plug hole(wet). If the readings are the good & the same wet / dry then bores are OK & you're looking at some new guides to cure the smoking.

Kieran
21-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Might not be what you want to hear (read?) but In my opinion Brian and Nigel are spot on - Carbon build up would probably show symptoms like 'Running on', detonation and fouling the spark plugs - and if it really were *that* rich, the engine would be horrible and lumpy and kicking out black smoke. (VR-4 owners can see this effect when a boost hose blows!! /help)

Blue smoke is oil - Do what nigel says and that should point you in the right direction.

am2801
22-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Might not be what you want to hear (read?) but In my opinion Brian and Nigel are spot on - Carbon build up would probably show symptoms like 'Running on', detonation and fouling the spark plugs - and if it really were *that* rich, the engine would be horrible and lumpy and kicking out black smoke. (VR-4 owners can see this effect when a boost hose blows!! /help)

Blue smoke is oil - Do what nigel says and that should point you in the right direction.

o.k then it does 'run on' occasionally
spark plugs are filthy
It does feel lumpy now and again
The smoke doesn't smell like oil (got aidie to follow me when i was low on fuel)
and it's not blue -blue, more a greyish colour (sorry my mistake) was thinking when looking thru' window (blue tinted)--blond moment /pan :embarasse

My tuning bloke was convinced it's carbon build up and he's been out twice and said he thought it'd been driven too slow for too long!! i.e. never had a good booting /Hmmm
He gave it the full diagnostic check whatever that entails (over my head i'm afraid) 'twas all computerised read outs

Is this anymore help?

wirdy
22-09-2005, 10:59 PM
o.k then it does 'run on' occasionally
spark plugs are filthy
It does feel lumpy now and again
The smoke doesn't smell like oil (got aidie to follow me when i was low on fuel)
and it's not blue -blue, more a greyish colour (sorry my mistake) was thinking when looking thru' window (blue tinted)--blond moment /pan :embarasse

My tuning bloke was convinced it's carbon build up and he's been out twice and said he thought it'd been driven too slow for too long!! i.e. never had a good booting /Hmmm
He gave it the full diagnostic check whatever that entails (over my head i'm afraid) 'twas all computerised read outs

Is this anymore help?

Give us all the symptoms & we'll tell you the problem /pan

I'm afraid Jap cars are like Jap bikes - they need to be driven keenly to keep them running happily. Your car sounds quite poorly - if it's been driven by a grandad all its life, then don't be surprised if it blows up when driven normally.

Your symptoms now do indeed point to carbon build-up, but this is VERY rare with modern fuels and lean burn engines. Unlucky mate - you may have to budget for an full engine rebuild when it finally becomes terminal.

am2801
25-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Full engine don't sound 2 bad, plenty of galants on ebay at stupid prices would quite happily change my engine for a 2litre!!

Trust me for 2 yrs now i have thrashed my car in every gear can't seem to kill it yet

Changed spark plugs yesterday 2 were a bit sooty-not too bad- compared them to the Haynes example pics
the other 2 were what Haynes class as engine running normally

So not that worried at the moment.

thanx for the help, if anything else happens will keep you posted