PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear Road Test - Sept 1st 2000

Spirit
02-09-2003, 10:38 PM
© 1997-2003 BBC Worldwide Ltd. The Top Gear word mark and logo are trade marks of the BBC and are used under licence.

Road test

Mitsubishi - Galant VR-4
[September 01 2000]

First, an apology. Approximately four years ago, I penned a Minitest on a Mitsubishi Galant estate wherein I pondered the reasons - if, indeed, there were any - why anyone might choose a Galant in preference to any number of other similarly-priced and well-equipped estates.

Soon after that piece was done'n'dusted, I noticed another Galant on the road and the penny dropped. One reason, and this may well be the only one you need, is that it's actually a very handsome car - better looking than all its Japanese, and arguably, almost all its European rivals. Quite why I didn't notice that before committing pen to paper last time I can't explain, but there you go.

Now I'm not declaring that this Ralliart VR-4 version, garnished as it is with exaggerated spoilers, smoked glass, lowered suspension, flared wheel-arches, side sills and rear wing is necessarily to everyone's taste, but it's a tad more enticing than your average Nissan, that's for sure.

So why the fancy dress? Because under the bonnet there's a twin-turbo 2.5-litre 24v V6 lump with 276bhp, that's why. You'll also find a viscous-coupled centre-diff four-wheel-drive system INSERT INTO post VALUES (not dissimilar to the one used on the Evo VI rally cars); low profile tyres, bigger brake discs, Active Yaw Control, a strengthened bodyshell and - wait for it - an under-bonnet strut brace. There aren't many estates around which can match the substantial grunt of this 152mph, £28,995 VR-4. Yes, there's Audi's amazing new 380bhp all-wheel-drive RS4, but that costs £46,500. There's Mercedes' rear-wheel-drive 306bhp AMG C43, but that costs even more, at just over £49,000. Then there are some more Audis, a Volvo, a Saab and even a VW but they're all down on power INSERT INTO post VALUES (by as much as 83bhp) and for the most part they're also more expensive.

So, the VR-4 is something of a looker and a performer too, but not at the expense of executive comforts - for your cash you get leather, full climate control, a CD-multichanger and Mitsubishi's latest INVECS-II Sports Mode five-speed tiptronic-style transmission.

So what's the catch? Well, the VR-4 comes with an unecessarily complex, fiddly Pioneer stereo - when will we see an end to such youth-orientated, gizmo-ridden rubbish? The central locking and immobiliser systems require further integration as there are too many fobs and buttons for my liking. It doesn't have as much rear loadspace as a Volvo V70, for example, and the fuel-gauge needle plummets in a way that would suggest that the estimated combined 26.5mpg figure errs firmly on the side of optimism.

Otherwise the VR-4 is comfortable, quiet, well equipped and rides, steers, handles and brakes as you would expect of a £30k exec-utive tool. And let's not forget: it's fast and not everyone's got one, far from it. So, I'd say there's more than a few reasons to buy it.

Kieran
02-09-2003, 11:12 PM
:)Brings back memories of the original review of the 8G Galant on BBC Top Gear one Thursday night back in 1997 - The reviewer was the older silver-haired guy with the matching beard/moustache, not Clarkson or one of the usual mob.
I can't remember much except for the summing up comment...

A car for Classic FM land...

Clearly, the VR-4 is the "Kerrang!" variant...

Brind
02-09-2003, 11:35 PM
Now that's a great write up, much better than the 'Vs B4 review'.

jtfleming
02-09-2003, 11:40 PM
On their Web page they had a long term VR4, they all seemed to like it aprt from fuel consumption, but the price you poor sods pay for motion lotion I think I would cry:Cry1: :Cry1:

Brind
02-09-2003, 11:48 PM
We are told fuel prices are high to help cut polution, congestion, contribute towards public transport etc etc and not because oil is expensive anyway, not to feed that fat bastid with the two Jags and the other leaching parasites we call our Government.:grr:

*Waits for Kieran's reply* :D

Spirit
02-09-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Brind
bastid/leaching/parasites/Government.:grr:

So basically anyone in the Labour party !

Brind
03-09-2003, 12:07 AM
Yep. :)
Still waiting for a new Guy Fawkes.

Spirit
03-09-2003, 12:10 AM
Or a visit from Sadam's mates

Kieran
03-09-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Brind
We are told fuel prices are high to help cut polution, congestion, contribute towards public transport etc etc and not because oil is expensive anyway, not to feed that fat bastid with the two Jags and the other leaching parasites we call our Government.:grr:

*Waits for Kieran's reply* :D

:mad2:
Argh! That pie-chomping fool has got a lot to answer for!! WHY did they employ him as transport secretary when he doesn't drive?!?!:scelp: WTF was Crony Blair thinking of?! He couldn't run a bath without help, nevermind Britain's roads!

I can still remember Tony's "Real Damage.." speech during the petrol crisis, and the look on his face - it wasn't one of "Oh no, what have I done?!", it was more like "how DARE they disobey me!!!":arse:

Rargh.... That's my ten-bob's worth!:D

Brind
03-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Haha! you couldn't hold it in that time! :D

Kieran
03-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Haha! you couldn't hold it in that time!
:D:D
I think my user manual has a warning about engaging me in conversations regarding transport, politics and religion, etc, etc... It reads, "Light blue touch paper and stand back!":nono:

jtfleming
03-09-2003, 08:27 PM
You tell em!!!:D :D ::biglaugh: :biglaugh: :hurrah: :thumb1: