PDA

View Full Version : Galant hunting!

nodding_dino
24-09-2005, 08:49 PM
OK, I thought it was about time to move this out of the 'hello' thread an into one in the right section of the forum! Having made the decision to get a Galant for our second car, this weekend saw my first 'up close and personal' experience with two!

The first was a saloon (pinched from'hello' post):

Y plate (2001?)
Saloon
2.5 V6 (not sport)
Auto (tiptronic - are they all?)
76K on the clock
Dark Plum metallic (I'm sure it's got a proper name )
Full main dealer service history with proper intervals.
Cream/light tan leather interior (spotless)
Nardi (?) wheel
All the normal toys
Tidy all round

This was the first time I had ever spent looking closely at a Galant. First impressions were excellent, a very tidy car that had obviously been well looked after. The salesman was quite happy for me to take the car out on my own and after a few cautious minutes getting used to an auto (what do you do with your left foot!!!) I got into the swing of things. A few gentle miles down a country road gave me enough confidence to give it a bit of stick. Well, what can I say, these cars are no slouches...I can only imagine what a VR4 is like!!!

But... the missus didn't seem overly keen, and although very sweetly said that it was nothing to do with her anyway ( :thumbsup: ) I finally got the following out of her:

1. It looks too long (no jokes please ;) ).
2. The interior was a funny colour

/help

That was on Friday afternoon. A quick search on the old tinternet showed an estate not too far away from where we were staying, the bonus being they also had a Saab 9-3 which the missus wanted us to look at. So bright and early this morning we set off again. The Saab although in good shape outside, had been punished a bit inside, and only served to confirm that a Galant is the right choice. So on to the estate. Now I had fully expected the missus to throw her arms up in horror (being an estate and all - especially after she had complained the saloon looked "too long"). But to my suprise, she loved it!

The car was a 2000 V6 sport (estate) in black. Cloth interior, HUGE sunroof, aircon and all the rest of the normal goodies. 105K miles and up at 5495. A quick drive didn't dissappoint, and the interior was spotless, but the outside was a little bit shabby and our man was adamant (no, he wasn't actually adam ant) that he wouldn't budge on price. There was something about the place that warned me off...so I walked away.

So after my two days and two Galants I've come away with nothing...normally I'd be a bit fed up, but I'm happy that I now know exactly what I want...this should make finding something a little bit easier (at least now I know what I'm looking for!)

The search is back on! /yes

I-S
24-09-2005, 09:42 PM
For a well above average mileage car, that second one does seem overpriced...

A quick search on AT comes up with a 2000W 2.5 V6-24 estate auto with 69000 miles on it for £4990. This one has electric seats and leather too.

I bought my galant (GLS) with 69169 miles on it. Next week it will tick over 99169, marking 30000 miles together.

ritch_w
25-09-2005, 09:43 AM
The car was a 2000 V6 sport (estate) in black. Cloth interior, HUGE sunroof, aircon and all the rest of the normal goodies. 105K miles and up at 5495.

is a wee bit high indeed - mine was over £1700 cheaper, from a mitsu dealer and a year younger......

dont worry Dino - keep lookin, the right one is just around the corner :thumbsup:

nodding_dino
25-09-2005, 07:23 PM
whats everyones opinion on the manual/auto debate? I have driven manuals fro years now (although have had autos in the past)...but was quite taken by the tip box. I've seen a nice looking manual, but am not sure whether to hold out for an auto?

Any opinions?

richy rich
25-09-2005, 07:27 PM
whats everyones opinion on the manual/auto debate? I have driven manuals fro years now (although have had autos in the past)...but was quite taken by the tip box. I've seen a nice looking manual, but am not sure whether to hold out for an auto?

Any opinions?
your opening a can of worms by asking that Q i think thos who have autos (me included) say they are the best and visa versa for man. /Hmmm

nodding_dino
25-09-2005, 07:30 PM
I guessed that would be the case...maybe I'll see if i can find a thread that discussed this in detail! (unless you can point me in the right direction of a one?)

richy rich
25-09-2005, 07:35 PM
only do a search

nodding_dino
25-09-2005, 07:43 PM
search done...can of worms read about ;)

Kieran
25-09-2005, 10:42 PM
With the V6-24, the can of worms doesn't really exist as it does with the VR-4. It's quite clear cut;

Manual = Quick, but can be a PITA in traffic.

Auto = Slower than manual by some way, but much smoother.

The gearbox in my V6 Sport was a nice manual - very positive action, but the clutch could be 'snatchy' at times, and having a more efficient power delivery meant it was a little too easy to break traction.

The manual is a nice 'box, but you won't feel short changed with the auto either. :happy:

nodding_dino
25-09-2005, 10:47 PM
thanks Keiran...all this advice really is appreciated! It's like buying a car with a load of experts in my back pocket! :)

I-S
26-09-2005, 08:16 AM
I wanted a manual GLS. Then I test drove my auto and that was it. SOLD.

BTW K - that did work. I can't believe I've been driving the thing for 2.5 years and 30000 miles without knowing that! /wall :rolleyes4 :oops:

ritch_w
26-09-2005, 09:24 AM
to follow on from what Kieran was saying - my first auto was a V6 sport, prior to this i was sceptical of autos - 15mins in the v6 sport auto and i was sold!!!
The Invecs II is a great system.

now having a manual V6 - i have direct comparison and have to say its a great 'box too!!!

i would say the manual v6 feels a fair bit quicker and certainly feels a lot livelier

the choice is yours!!!!

nodding_dino
27-09-2005, 02:07 PM
OK...Galant hunting has slowed down, nothing fitting the bill yet...and it has started me thinking...(always dangerous!)

There seem to be plenty of '97 VR4 legnums around which are well within my budget. Are the running costs significantly higher than the straight Galant 2.5 V6?

I see you all talk about increased fuel consumption, but what about servcing etc, are the intervals the same?

I'm going to make some enquiries into insurance costs (purely out of curiosity at the moment ;) )

Any advice appreciated!

Nick Mann
27-09-2005, 02:25 PM
The service intervals are half. 4500 miles rather than 9000. The fuel consumption is just under 20mpg rather than just under 30mpg. The insurance doesn't seem to be that much higher for me.

I you are paying other people for servicing etc, then the running costs are slightly less than double. If you do your own maintenance then you can save a lot of the extra. (But obviously not petrol!!)

If you can afford it, then do it. The traction and handling are worth every penny!

nodding_dino
27-09-2005, 02:38 PM
sounds a bit rich for me :( looks like I'll have to stay on the 'sensible' side of the Mitsubishi fence!

Thanks for the info!

Kieran
27-09-2005, 02:51 PM
My own experience of Legnum-ness is as follows.

They're cheap to buy and a 1997 Import will be generally in better shape than an equivalent UK car.

Legnums can be DIY-serviced. Which is one of the main reasons I can afford to run one.

MPG..... I get between 20-24 mpg. This compares with 26-30mpg for my V6 Sport manual. In real terms, this means about 230 miles to a tank (I normally fill with 50 litres), rather than about 290. Assuming a price of 98.9 for Optimax, that's 21 pence per mile versus 17.

Insurance made all of 30 quid difference to me!

nodding_dino
27-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks Keiran, the most mechanical I ever got was drying the inside of the distributer cap of my '74 beetle every time it rained....

whats involved with the servicing...would a muppet like me be able to have a go?

Kieran
27-09-2005, 03:20 PM
The only reason a VR-4 needs such frequent attention is because it pounds it's engine oil, and because the AYC clutch fluid is meant to be changed every 4500

Oil and filter is very easy, with no nasty surprises to catch you out.

In fact, take a look over here.... :

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10265&highlight=tribulations

This is about as tough as the fluid services get, and only the oil and AYC clutch fluid need doing so often. My take is to do all the fluids myself, and take it to the local Honda (yes, Honda, I don't trust Mitsubishi Notts) every 6/12 months for a check over of the general condition of the car.... Just in case i've missed something and for those things that are beyond my ability. My local honda dealer offers menu-priced servicing for non Hondas and will work with imports, so to me £79 for a oil change and inspection of the usuall stuff every now and again is acceptable.

Big Ian
27-09-2005, 03:20 PM
There seem to be plenty of '97 VR4 legnums around which are well within my budget. Are the running costs significantly higher than the straight Galant 2.5 V6?
Any advice appreciated!

be even more investagative /Hmmm :rolleyes4 .. about looking over a VR4 as some/most are hard to find with history. Don't be shy about asking question's of any car you want to see as chances are someone on this forum will know it?
i'd think though /Hmmm if you saw one that took your fancy you might get a little help looking it over /yes

i'd ave had a VR4 now /yes .. :embarasse if i'd had more time to travel to find the right one :embarasse /Handbag
but "I WILL BE BACK!"....with a VR4

try get along to a meet and get a member to take you out in their VR4......you'll love it, ive had a shot of Derek's car (SGHOM) and i still grin when i think about it /yes :smug: :thumbsup:

ritch_w
27-09-2005, 05:43 PM
having had both;
VR4 - 190 miles to a tank / 22mpg, V6 auto 340m+per tank/ 32mpg, V6 manual 370+ per tank / 35mpg

The VR4 was thrashed occasionally and driven like an old lady often to conserve petrol, both V6s are driven hard

I prefer the V6 for now as its quick, comfy, economical and doesnt matter if it breaks, where as with the VR4, i was always (un-necesarily) wary of something expensive breaking - AYC, gearbox, turbos etc as well as the expesive dealer servicing (to keep it in warranty)

I would however, in the future, definately go for an early leggie and service it myself.

bear in mind if you go for an early leggie to have a £2K slush fund to allow for AYC, gearbox, turbos posibly needing work / replacement

nodding_dino
29-09-2005, 11:26 AM
OK - question time again!

Can anyone detail the differences between the V6-24 and the V6 Sport estates? I have looked at the sport estate and LOVED the look...but they seem to be a bit like hens teeth whereas the V6-24's are much more easy to come by. I could probably get one of these and then have a few quid left over to maybe get a set of nice wheels?

So far I have noticed:

1. 17" wheels
2. Tinted glass on rear windows

Are there any other differences that I've missed?

adam_shaw
29-09-2005, 11:57 AM
The V6-24 is more the executive saloon, where the Sport is, well, a bit sportier...

There has been some speculation that the suspension is different, the ride certainly is, but this seems to be more to do with the tyre/wheel combination.

The Sport gets a VR4 stylee look. With a similar front bumper and side skirts.

The interior gets a carbon look dash and Momo wheel, that is nice but a little small (for me)

I thoroughly enjoyed my sport. But didn't prefer it to the V6-24 I had before (but that was an auto, and I am lazy /yes )

Hope it helps,

Adam

nodding_dino
29-09-2005, 12:02 PM
thanks Adam...yes that does help! I'm just going to have to sit and wait I guess! I'd like a 2000+ Black 2.5 V6 sport estate. That's it...finished...decision made...not budging. ;)

(someone please find me one /help )

adam_shaw
29-09-2005, 12:16 PM
As if by magic, the shop keeper appeared (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-MITSUBISHI-GALANT-SPORT-ESTATE-IN-BLACK_W0QQitemZ4577364226QQcategoryZ18230QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem) ...

but it's a 2.0L - they are around, try Mitsubishi's used car search?

A

adam_shaw
29-09-2005, 12:17 PM
...and you want the moonroof? It's cool.

A

nodding_dino
29-09-2005, 12:53 PM
thanks Adam, yes already seen that one...but it's the V6 I'm after. I took a look at one that fitted the bill in Bournemouth last week (although it had highish miles) with a moonroof and must say it would be a bonus if the one I find comes with one...they're HUGE!

nodding_dino
29-09-2005, 12:53 PM
oops...meant to say, yes I'm keeping an eye on the Mitsi dealers...ebay....autotrader...exchange & Mart and the car supermarkets too!

nodding_dino
29-09-2005, 01:03 PM
I've emailed this guy (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000-MITSUBISHI-GALANT-V6-SPORT-AUTO-SILVER_W0QQitemZ4578880413QQcategoryZ18230QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem) to see what price he'd take...

(I know it's silver, but if I can't get black, silver will do!)

ritch_w
29-09-2005, 01:23 PM
V6-24 is better spec'd than the sport

the sport has the looks and the v6-24 has the gear!!

Nick Mann
29-09-2005, 01:27 PM
V6-24 is better spec'd than the sport

the sport has the looks and the v6-24 has the gear!!

Apart from Cruise, what does the V6-24 have that the sport doesn't? You are more likely to find a V6-24 with leather, most sports have the blue/black cloth interior, but I can't think of anything else?

ritch_w
29-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Apart from Cruise, what does the V6-24 have that the sport doesn't? You are more likely to find a V6-24 with leather, most sports have the blue/black cloth interior, but I can't think of anything else?

Differnces between my 2001 V6-24 and 2002 V6 Sport

V6- 24 good stuff (V6 Sport in brackets);
Leather (Sport - cloth)
electric seats (Sport - manual)
cruise (none)
headlamp washers (none)
elec s/roof (no rs/roof)
manual box (auto)
better suspension (****e until eibachs are fitted)
feels alot quicker (quick, but not as quick....)

not much that different really.......

V6- 24 bad stuff (V6 Sport in brackets);
15" alloys (17" alloys)
no body kit (VR4 style bumpers & skirts)

on saying all this - my ideal V6 (N/A) Galant would be a V6 sport estates styling with the V6-24 spec and decent suspension :thumbsup:

ritch_w
29-09-2005, 01:44 PM
I've emailed this guy (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000-MITSUBISHI-GALANT-V6-SPORT-AUTO-SILVER_W0QQitemZ4578880413QQcategoryZ18230QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem) to see what price he'd take...

(I know it's silver, but if I can't get black, silver will do!)

between £3.5 - 4K - certainly no more

silver wont show stone chips as badly as dark colours - and the Galant do chip badly.....

Nick Mann
29-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Oh yeah, forgot washers!

Are all later V6-24's leather and electric seats? I thought that was still an option. And the sunroofs are optional on the Sport too.

Meanwhile, nodding_dino, have you found the dark blue 51 sport near Darlington? 41k miles, £6.5k. An interesting rear spoiler that I have never seen before! Looks like a small version of the facelifted legnum VR4's. Most expensive V6 estate on a national search on autotrader.

nodding_dino
29-09-2005, 02:06 PM
the Darlington one is quite interesting...it was on ebay last week and I emailed the guy to see what his reserve was...he came back and told me £5.8k but the auction ended without amy bids. So...I emailed him straight after the auction and said I would be prepared to pay £5k...he mailed back to say that he had had three emails from people saying the same thing!

I asked him for a price to clinch and he mailed back to say he needed a few days to think. I heard nothing back and then noticed he had put it on autotrader for £6.5k!!!!

The only downside is that it's a manual, and I really think I would like an auto...but if he comes back to me with a half decent price, I'll bite his arm off ;)

did I read Ritch's post right...the v6-24 IS quicker or just feels it?

Nick Mann
29-09-2005, 02:17 PM

I think he means the manual feels quicker than the auto. The engine is the same.

nodding_dino
29-09-2005, 02:30 PM
ah...I understand :rolleyes4

AncientOfMu
29-09-2005, 03:45 PM
So am I thinking this right?

You are after either a V6-24 or V6 sport, 2000 or newer, preferably auto in black?

You sure you are not my twin??????? :inquisiti

That is exactly the spec I looked for.

Things against finding one quickly....

They only made them between 2000-2003 - not many about.

usually come in 3 colours black silver or trigger mauve.

not many V6's most are the 2.0.

Took me 6wks + to find mine. In the end i did what you are considering doing.

Bought a V6-24 of right age and mileage in Pyrenees Black. Then spent £1500 ish getting it to look the same as a V6 Sport.

Alloys, Bumper, Grill, Windows tinted. Now i have all the benefits of the V6-24 with the Vr-4 V6 Sport looks :).

My only advice would be keep looking. As long as the basic car is ok you can change it to how ever you want looking. But if you compromise on equipment youll have a much harder time making it into the car you want.

Any other help I can be just tell me. (thats presuming I am being helpful :P)

ritch_w
29-09-2005, 04:17 PM

yeah, Nick is right - i did mean the manual does feel significantly quicker than the auto (not that the auto is a slouch.......)

and some late 2002 / 2003 sports came with leather - dunno about sunroofs/ criuse / h-lamp washer or electric seats though..... these would be the ultimate V6s - i can live without a leccy roof and seats

nodding_dino
29-09-2005, 04:17 PM
well, quite by chance it looks as though I may have come across something...all the boxes ticked apart from the colour...silver, oh well, at least it will match the missus's golf ;)

Not too far away, I've spoken with the dealer and am going to take a look in the morning! keep your collective fingers crossed!

'01
75K ish
Full Mitsi service history
Auto

woohoo!

ritch_w
29-09-2005, 04:20 PM
well, quite by chance it looks as though I may have come across something...all the boxes ticked apart from the colour...silver, oh well, at least it will match the missus's golf ;)

Not too far away, I've spoken with the dealer and am going to take a look in the morning! keep your collective fingers crossed!

'01
75K ish
Full Mitsi service history
Auto

woohoo!

silvers good :thumbsup:

got a link?

nodding_dino
29-09-2005, 04:22 PM
sssshhhhhhh don't tell anyone! (http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_popup.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=MITSUBISHI&model=GALANT&variant=2.5&keywords=estate&min_pr=2000&max_pr=7000&mileage=&agerange=&postcode=nn14+1ta&miles=1500&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=5&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=6&distance=55&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200539208690841)

ritch_w
29-09-2005, 06:09 PM
try and get the price down a bit...... the dealer will have paid somwhere between £2200 - £3000

aim to pay between £4000 - £4500 inc warranty & 12 months MoT

nodding_dino
30-09-2005, 03:36 PM
well, I'm Galant hunting no more! Deposit paid, will pick the car up in a few days time...yay me!

Beat him down a (little) bit, the car was in great condition and drove well. He bundled in 6 months tax, 12months MOT and a three month warranty so all in all I'm a happy chappy!

ritch_w
30-09-2005, 04:48 PM
splendid :thumbsup:

AncientOfMu
30-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Congratulations :thumbsup:

Now comes the really fun bit :drummer:

psbarham
30-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Woo Hoo another V6 in da house :thumbsup:

HJM
30-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Hey, well done - I'm sure you will have much fun with it :thumbsup:

Kieran
30-09-2005, 08:24 PM
The V6 is a great car. With my V6 Sport (The infamous Hordak!) I managed to fluster a VR-4 on more than one occasion! :evil2: In fact, one of the ones I flustered, I now own!!

/EDIT: Coming to Japshow then? Do we have any stand spaces left? /Hmmm

nodding_dino
30-09-2005, 08:33 PM
thanks everyone! I wouldn't mind trying to get over...Santa Pod is only 20 minutes or so down the road...whats the deal? (the last time I went to anything there was way back with my first car at a bug jam!)

psbarham
30-09-2005, 08:36 PM
thanks everyone! I wouldn't mind trying to get over...Santa Pod is only 20 minutes or so down the road...whats the deal? (the last time I went to anything there was way back with my first car at a bug jam!)have a look here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9000)

nodding_dino
30-09-2005, 11:01 PM
:thumbsup:

SGHOM
30-09-2005, 11:04 PM
do you want a stand pass posting out ?? or will you be at the Ibis in wellingborough at 7.00 am ? :embarasse

nodding_dino
30-09-2005, 11:21 PM
I'll need to get a day pass off the missus first ;)

Are there plenty spare...?

habbers
03-10-2005, 12:31 PM
thanks everyone! I wouldn't mind trying to get over...Santa Pod is only 20 minutes or so down the road...whats the deal? (the last time I went to anything there was way back with my first car at a bug jam!)
Hi Dino, where abouts are you?, i am in Wootton near Northampton.

Paul

nodding_dino
03-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Hi habbers, I was in the very centre of Northampton until about a year ago when I took mrs and baby dino to live in a village half way between Northampton and Kettering...! I now hear cows not car alarms ;)

Looks like we've got family coming down over the weekend, but having picked up my shiny new motor today, I'd like to get down to Santa Pod to meet you all!!!

Paul Beazer
03-10-2005, 06:38 PM
First impressions of the new beast? Stopped smiling yet?
PICTURES!!

nodding_dino
03-10-2005, 07:07 PM
not yet...! Crappy meeting in the centre of Birmingham, and then a drive back where I constantly kept turning the sindscreen wipers on instead of the indicators /pan

Pictures will follow at the weekend! YAY ME!