PDA

View Full Version : Why do i bother?

Dusk
25-09-2005, 02:02 AM
I had recently bought a GLS:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11063
However, a few days after owning it - it was stolen + recovered by police /pan
Sickening.... its value was insured at 2000, but the damages on the car total more than £1500. Do you think i will see the 2000 back from the insurance company? Or less?
Just able to afford insurance on a 2.0lr car, as im 21 now, and my insurance has now gone up 400 a year due to this claim... makes me want to be sick, back to a 1.3 for me then :embarasse

Thanks alot...

bradc
25-09-2005, 05:52 AM
That sucks, your insurance company shouldn't up it because your car was stolen. Do you think they'd write it off and let you get a new car, or do they want to repair it?

I remember my insurance company when I got my VR-4 (I was 20 at the time) when I said 2.5 litres they went ooooooohh, they when I said turbo they made the same noise again ;)

I think you should push your insurance company very hard to NOT increase your premium, it isn't your fault it was stolen. Just whine and whine until they give in, or say you will go elsewhere.

Physician
25-09-2005, 07:44 AM
Totally agree ......... don't just tell them you are going elsewhere - tell them you are going to the Press about their scam.

BraindG
25-09-2005, 10:08 AM
bah, that really sucks, sorry to hear this :( - keep us posted on how you get on.

Dusk
25-09-2005, 10:28 AM
they asked me to ring back on monday, however they would like to write it off as it is an uneconomical repair (im from the UK btw)

habbers
25-09-2005, 11:49 AM
they asked me to ring back on monday, however they would like to write it off as it is an uneconomical repair (im from the UK btw)Sorry to hear about your car, it sucks and until something is done to meter out punishment and confinement along with teaching values and respect for others and thier property this sort of thing will continue - thanks alot Blair!
Rant over

Re insurance.
My car was written off in Jan. I got a fair price for it, i had to haggle, i did my research on how much a replacment would be and we met close to my ideal figure not theirs. I spokwe to the loss adjuster who viewed my car on the phone, nice guy who knew hisa job and was helpful. I delt with him rather than the insurance co's call centre bod.

Keep it cordial and polite, but do find out the market value of your car and cst to replace like for like, even if you do not replace it with the same. Always get name or id no of who you spoke to so you can go back to them and they realise you are serious. Call centres have 100's usually of people bored, low paid who do not give a sh*t in most cases often working for more than one company.

Saying you are going elsewhere does not cut much ice i am afraid. In my experience. you are likely to be dealing with a monkey in a call centre more often than not.

Do not let the b@stards (b@stards) wear you down either

Good luck!

Legnum Lad VR4
25-09-2005, 04:16 PM
that really sucks

on another note am I the only 21 year old who can get decnt quotes on performance cars
21 Bad area 1 claim and 3 year NCB Legnum VR4 import £900

Dusk
25-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Well, as for the insurance, i valued the car at 2000, so i was just wondering how much of that i will actually see, hopefully all of it as the cars market value is above £2000, but since the damages come in at over £1500 how much ££ do you guys think i will get, the car is clean throughout perfect in everyway 72k on the lock Rreg (97) GLS...

I cant afford to drive a Galant now, so the money will be spent on another smaller engined car, so more ££ the better really... i just hope i get the full £2000

Dusk
26-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Right, insurance rang me today asking load sof questions about the quality of the car etc... I told them that it was 100% of which it was etc...
However, i am currently insured on a small 1.3 Nissan, but i created a new policy on the galant (as it was £200 cheaper that way...) so therefor, i have at this time:
Me, one car and one insurance policy for it
Me, another car, and an insurance policy for it.

If i get a claim on that ONE insurance policy, DO i have to tell the other insurrers about it? - I know you do for points, but surely since it is a seperate policy.... perhaps that isnt the case?

Ive tried googling it but i cant find an answer, and i sure as hell dont want to ask my insurance, because OFCOURSE they would say yes, just to get MORE money out of me..

Thanks for your responces.. :) - hope i get all this sorted out..

bradc
26-09-2005, 08:52 PM
I don't see why you need to tell them, it isn't as if you crashed the car, it was simply stolen.

AllBeItMine
26-09-2005, 11:15 PM
when an insurance company insure a car they ask you what region you live in. this is because theft statistics vary from region to region. so if you are living in a high theft area - you are already paying for it in your premiums...

getting your car stolen isn't your fault. but. some insurance companies don't differenciate between a claim whether you are liable or not. making a claim voids your no-claims-bonus regardless.

insurance companies invented fine print. you need to check it out. for example, my insurrance is void if: and i quote,

"Damage is caused from any event arising from nuclear weapons, ionising radiation or contamination by radio-activity from nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel"

as well as

"Any event arising from war, invasion, act of foreigh enemy, warlike operations (whether war be declared or not), military or usurped power, civil war, rebellion, revolution or insurrection."

so yeah - i think you will find that insurance companies cover themselves pretty well!

ako
27-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Also have to ask this - Legnum Lad VR4, why do you have Don / 13ooyah's car as your signature?

habbers
27-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Right, insurance rang me today asking load sof questions about the quality of the car etc... I told them that it was 100% of which it was etc...
However, i am currently insured on a small 1.3 Nissan, but i created a new policy on the galant (as it was £200 cheaper that way...) so therefor, i have at this time:
Me, one car and one insurance policy for it
Me, another car, and an insurance policy for it.

If i get a claim on that ONE insurance policy, DO i have to tell the other insurrers about it? - I know you do for points, but surely since it is a seperate policy.... perhaps that isnt the case?

Ive tried googling it but i cant find an answer, and i sure as hell dont want to ask my insurance, because OFCOURSE they would say yes, just to get MORE money out of me..

Thanks for your responces.. :) - hope i get all this sorted out..
IMHO
You will need to let the other insurance comapny know of your claim. One of the things your insurance is based on (irrespective of who you are insured with or on what) is your 'history' so they can take that into account. If for example you kept crashing cars they could take tha into account.

If you do not disclose that you have had this thieft and total loss to your other ins co then your cover could be void as you will have broken the terms of the policy. Ins co's share info as well to protect themselves against this and other nasties.

When you disclose this is a grey area, you are supposed (this is from memory) to disclose this to them when it happens, a lot of people do when they renew.

Legnum Lad VR4
27-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Also have to ask this - Legnum Lad VR4, why do you have Don / 13ooyah's car as your signature?

because i like it and I asked him if it was alright before I done it :D

I didnt just use it I asked his permission since it was his car :D