PDA

View Full Version : Paintng centre console

marmel31
26-09-2005, 07:06 AM
How many of you have painted your centre console? I am thinking of painting over the lovely fake wood trim, any ideas on colour would be appreciated. My legnum is black. Post pics of your painted consoles if you have them please. Cheers.

You See
26-09-2005, 07:10 AM
You should paint all your vents, door trim, etc as well, otherwise the centre console may look outta place (even more so than now) ...be sure to post pics once you've completed it.

marmel31
26-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Good point. Although only the centre console is fake wood in my car and thats what I really want to change. The rest of the trim is black already.

PS- By centre console I mean the gear change surround and all of the trim around the stereo, air conditioning etc..

You See
26-09-2005, 07:38 AM
yeah, not many people like that trim....why not paint it black to go with everything else? ...and if you want a lil' more, get it with a lil' metallic finish.

marmel31
26-09-2005, 08:14 AM
It does look pretty naff but I've trawled through all of the members cars pics and there are very few that are a different colour from standard.

-LegnumVR4-
26-09-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm matching the black/texture of the A/C controls so it blends the lot into one. I did paint the lot in a gloss black, showed up to many finger marks.

Freddy
26-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Mitsi have also put out a "carbon fibre look" and some sort of matt silver options as well. I had the wood grain and like you, didnt like it. Went to Kempys and got the carbon fibre option. Its high gloss and has the factory vent markings on it.

marmel31
26-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Mitsi have also put out a "carbon fibre look" and some sort of matt silver options as well. I had the wood grain and like you, didnt like it. Went to Kempys and got the carbon fibre option. Its high gloss and has the factory vent markings on it.

What did it cost if you don't mind me asking? Is it a part they stock or was it your lucky day when you went in?

Freddy
28-09-2005, 03:13 AM
They had quite a few carbon surrounds, by the way this was two years ago so best you call them.

i3ooyah
28-09-2005, 04:09 AM
why not just vinyl it? better finish then paint and it wont scratch

marmel31
28-09-2005, 04:16 AM
How hard is it to get a decent finish, especially around the curved areas? I have seen a lot of vinyl on ebay, carbon look etc and was wondering about that. I assume you heat it to make it more pliable?

mpau009
28-09-2005, 06:57 AM
I don't know about those vinyls, wouldn't it scratch or mark easily?

One thing i have thought about for a while, and it depends on what sort of look your after, but what about air brushing? It would have to be subtle, but there are some artists out there who could make some interesting designs. Like i say, it would depend on what you want from your car, but it might make an interesting feature for a show car.

I for one like the wood trim, cause it fits well with the tan interior, and the carbon ones i find a bit out of place with the rest of the stock interior, in that no one believes its carbon. But if you already have some then why not.

marmel31
28-09-2005, 07:33 AM
It would probably look alright with a tan interior but the interior on my car is mostly black.

Darren
28-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Tried covering it, but at the end of the day it's fablon to me and it was never my forte. In the end I sprayed silky black to match the rest of the dash and have never looked back.