PDA

View Full Version : To tweet or not to tweet

p1_
27-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Does anyone have tweeters fitted inside those little door recesses?

If so can someone tell me what make and size they are, as I want to get some done.

cheers

bradc
27-09-2005, 10:24 AM
I have them, and they are fairly crappy and make a horrible noise. I'd suggest you go to a car audio install shop and tell them to put proper speakers there, I intend to replace mine at some point.

p1_
27-09-2005, 10:27 AM
I have them, and they are fairly crappy and make a horrible noise. I'd suggest you go to a car audio install shop and tell them to put proper speakers there, I intend to replace mine at some point.

Cheers mate - assume your mota is spanking now, after your accident (cough). /Hmmm

You See
27-09-2005, 10:32 AM
I've got Infinity splits in mine. They sound heaps better than the factory ones. Were a lil' odd to get in tho....had to use the bracket which came with the factory tweeters and strip down the casing on the new ones. :thumbsup:

p1_
27-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I've got Infinity splits in mine. They sound heaps better than the factory ones. Were a lil' odd to get in tho....had to use the bracket which came with the factory tweeters and strip down the casing on the new ones. :thumbsup:

How much were they and what size? 1"?

You See
27-09-2005, 10:48 AM
umm, from memory they were are NZD350 for the splits including crossovers. Yeah 1" is what you should be after....think that's a standard for most components tho. Infinity has a new 2005 range so I'm not sure whether they're are as easy to strip than the 04 models...it's all plastic...shouldn't be too difficult.

eeknz
27-09-2005, 10:52 AM
I replaced the front door/tweets with Sony xsGS-160. The speaker was a bit smaller than the factory one but that's nothing new holes didn't fix. The tweeters popped on the the factory bracket just fine with a shorter screw. The screws holding the lid on to your PC will be just fine. It wasn't the model of Sony I was intending to get but they were out of the ones I wanted which would have fitted better. I hate waiting once I've got money burning a hole in my pocket. I changed them because the cone in the door was flapping around in the breeze, only held on by the coil. The choices were slim because I wanted a 6.5" + tweeter combo but most of the ones stocked have the tweeter 1/2" too big. You need 1" tweeters.
Alpine have some nice ones that don't cost too much, but I find alpine speakers a little brite for my tastes.
Mr Voodoo would be a good guy to ask for sugestions.
Have a look here:
http://www.parallelimported.co.nz/search.php?main_category=Car%20Audio&mid=1&m2id=3&&category=Speakers

p1_
27-09-2005, 10:53 AM
umm, from memory they were are NZD350 for the splits including crossovers. Yeah 1" is what you should be after....think that's a standard for most components tho. Infinity has a new 2005 range so I'm not sure whether they're are as easy to strip than the 04 models...it's all plastic...shouldn't be too difficult.

Holy Moly thats alot for 1" tweeters, it had better sound good for that price.

Thanks for your help mate. :thumbsup:

You See
27-09-2005, 11:00 AM
That was including 2 way 6.5" and the crossover....they do sound good tho.
Infinity also do a "Reference" range which are less expensive.

You See
27-09-2005, 11:04 AM
What I.C.E set up do you currently have??

bradc
27-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Uc's car does sound good (not just the exhaust), tons better than my car.

I think that I'll get 6.5" or 6x9 speakers in each of the 4 doors, and get the tweeters replaced too. I'll also get an 8" sub in the spare wheel well.

I'm going to go to Driving Sound in takapuna soon to get it quoted up, I've got some good mates there that should be able to give me a good price.

You See
27-09-2005, 11:22 AM
If you're getting a sub, there's no need for 6x9s...as the main advantage of them over 6.5" is bass. I've got a 12" Soundstream Tarantula sub just roaring to find it's way into my boot...all I need now is my car.... It should sound heaps better than the 2x infinity 12s I currently have...tho the 1x12" weighs more than the old 2 put together...oh well, gotta enjoy the ride!

bradc
27-09-2005, 11:38 AM
I don't know that much about speakers ;) I'll get driving sound to recommend a setup for me. I'm also getting a dvd player that should be able to link up to my MMCS, I'll test that out later on this week.

Ideally I want to keep the weight down as well, maybe I'll lose 10kg's off my own body, rather than my Legnums ;)

You See
27-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Make sure you shop around...prices can vary quite substantially.
Subs = Amp
Amp = Weight
I've still got an amp to run my components on...one day I'll install it.