PDA

View Full Version : Can I ask a Favour?

Kieran
27-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Hi Peeps in NZ - I need a favour ;)

My shocks are coming to the end of their service life and the ride quality is getting steadily more abrasive. KYB do replacements - they're available in NZ, but not in the UK.

Could I ask one of you kind peeps to get a price from one of your parts places (or point me to one)?

Also, can you give me a *rough* idea of shipping?

I'm trying to open up a supply channel for the uk, and am going through all the options to see what's most viable.

The part numbers are:

341240 & 341241 - These are for the 4WD Galant/Legnum - Gas filled shocks.

I know it's an odd request, but bear with me ;)

pezza
27-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Yup Kieran...

I know your pain :-) Trying to get these shocks here seems a mighty task...
The ones I had on my lowered V6 were superb.... made a huge difference...
I have more or less given up with the VR4 ones..but hopefully you will be fortunate via a clubVR4 NZ rep! Good luck... I will be watching this one eagerly... :thumbsup:

I may go for the Koni adjustables very soooooon otherwise /Hmmm

Kieran
27-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Yup Kieran
The ones I had on my lowered V6 were superb.... made a huge difference...

/Hmmm What were they, and what difference? Better ride? Was handling / Body Roll affected?

pezza
27-09-2005, 03:21 PM
They were the exel (or exel-G) can't remember but these felt like they kept the car much more level on corners less body roll.

On uneven surfaces or bumpy roads, the car did not crash into the bumps just damped nicely with one controlled and quiet thud /yes

The ride was level too.. hmm maybe my original KYB shocks were dead... (due to 35mm lowering etc)

Another thing is that these were much cheaper than the replacement mitsu ones between 50 and 65 quid compared to 80 for front and 110+VAT each for self level rears...

Am still very tempted to get koni sports tho... /Hmmm

Nick Mann
27-09-2005, 05:14 PM
I ordered Koni sports for the front over 2 months ago. I am still waiting as Koni had run out of stock.

IF they ever arrive I'll let you know how good or bad they are.

ritch_w
27-09-2005, 05:22 PM
They were the exel (or exel-G)

KYB excel-g twintube gas shocks

these are the ones i got for the banger the other week, work quite nicely with eibachs :thumbsup:

pezza
27-09-2005, 06:33 PM
I ordered Koni sports for the front over 2 months ago. I am still waiting as Koni had run out of stock.

IF they ever arrive I'll let you know how good or bad they are.

Yes mate, I was about to ask if yours had arrived yet...shoddy service eh? /pan

Have you been chasing em up?

Ritch.. yup they seem to work well...how much did you pay for the shocks and
where did you order them from?

Cheers

P

ritch_w
27-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Ritch.. yup they seem to work well...how much did you pay for the shocks and
where did you order them from?

Cheers P

local motor factors, delivered next day for just over £200.

I was going to get Bilsteins, but they take about 4 weeks to arrive and i had a very leaky front shock causing much bouciness :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4

Gly
27-09-2005, 08:37 PM
hey,
if i remember... ill pop down the road and get a price for you,
off the top of my head they will cost round the $120nz mark each + postage

Gly
28-09-2005, 07:14 AM
been into supercheap today,

the shocks cost $129 each,

they didnt have any instore so i have no idea on weight, so dont know what they would cost to send.

Kieran
28-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks! - I've an old shock here - I'll weigh that and use it as my benchmark to see what it would cost...

NZD$129 each eh? So £50 each plus shipping.... Hmm....

AllBeItMine
28-09-2005, 10:37 AM
i recently sent 4 shocks with springs to the southisland - weighed in at 46kg's

and i know a lot of people have already offered help but if you get stuck i can find out what pitstop can do interms of a good price.

i would say the springs would be just under half the weight so you are probably looking at 25kgs for a set of 4 shocks.

using this link you can work out what postage would cost from NZ
http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-NZ/OnlineTools/RateFinder/International+Parcel+Ratefinder.htm

looks like 20kgs' is the most NZ Post will ship @ $250 NZD.

you might need to contact an actual shipping service.

Gly
28-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks! - I've an old shock here - I'll weigh that and use it as my benchmark to see what it would cost...

NZD$129 each eh? So £50 each plus shipping.... Hmm....

yeh bout that, and a free CVR4 membership for me for being such a good guy and helping out /Hmmm :thumbsup:

get a weight for me, and ill see what i can find out shipping wise for ya,

caishanvr4
30-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Any chance of finding out about a good lowering springs to complement the shocks :thumbsup:

Ta

Pez.. are you buying just the shocks or the whole shebang ? oh a& whats the damage /Hmmm

Gly
30-09-2005, 06:38 AM
i wouldnt have a clue on that side off things.
i have koni adjustables.

i do have a set of jamex springs on my rear shocks.. think they sit the car a little low,
and a bit bouncy for my liking but i think the shocks are tired so i can really comment

AllBeItMine
30-09-2005, 07:12 AM
KINGS do a lowering spring for the vr4.

about $400 a set.

were in my car for a while before upgrading to the teins - the were good springs

You See
30-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I've got Kings on mine...does the job nicely. They don't sag over time like others do.

caishanvr4
30-09-2005, 02:09 PM
$400- is that for the shocks and springs or just springs ? how much do they lower the car to.

Cheers

Gly
30-09-2005, 10:47 PM
just springs, 40ish mm drop

AllBeItMine
01-10-2005, 02:51 AM
but as i found out - YOU NEED TO CHECK WHAT IS ALREADY IN YOUR CAR.

as a factory option - some VR's came out with KYB shocks with already shorter springs - and if you have these in your car already - the super low kings wont actually lower the car much at all!

dickytim
01-10-2005, 04:15 AM
I replaced my shocks a while back, got them tru Stocks on dad's work account, they are not only heavy but quite bulky as well. I think it worked out about $400 for the set including GST.

Hotwire
12-08-2008, 02:48 AM
Thread revivial! :)

Can someone get me a current price on the mentioned KYB shocks (341240 & 341241) and also a cost delivered to Adelaide, Australia 5000?
It would be appreciated!

I contacted Georgestock direct and they gave me a quote of $572.64 + $215 freight, + gst, so $886NZ delivered... bit steep in my Eyes!!

Gly
12-08-2008, 05:11 AM
about right, around $140 per shock, and not the cheapest/smallest/lightest things to be sending accross the ocean

Eurospec
12-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Anyone tried James at Amber Performance? He certainly sells KYB. I'll ask him later if no one has tried.

Cheers,

Ben.

Nick Mann
12-08-2008, 01:32 PM
I bought Tein Super Wagons from rhdjapan because they worked out as cheap as buying a set of shocks from a stealership. And that included the EDFC!

Kieran
12-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Crumbs! Quite an old thread! In the end I went with Bilsteins and Tein Springs. Worked out about as cheap. However Camskill now stock standard front and rear KYB shocks if anyone wants to stay standard. :)

dickytim
12-08-2008, 07:36 PM
this seems pretty reasonable, mine were not much cheaper using my old mans trade discount, however they shouldn't really charge GST if they are being shipped to Australia, you would have to pay that on arrival, also there is no GST on international freight.

I would question this, but be prepared to have to pay tax on the arrival of your bits.

ANTHONY
12-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Crumbs! Quite an old thread! the old ones are always the best

SHOWVR
12-08-2008, 10:24 PM
When you find out the exact weights and dims let me know, i work for UPS - SCS so ill be able to sort the shipping side for you, if time is an issue, i can send via airfreight for you - which will cost a little more then sea freight due to transit times.....so let me know.

Turbo_Steve
13-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Kieran, Nick,
What are your rides like now compared to standard?
Car feels about right for normal driving as standard, just needs a bit more "edge" to it when going harder. EDFC seems extremely tempting for this!!!

Robotnik123
13-08-2008, 02:06 AM
:inquisiti Did Kieran ever get NZ sourced KYB shocks?

CANDEE
13-08-2008, 02:26 AM
:inquisiti Did Kieran ever get NZ sourced KYB shocks?
Jan, he got locally sourced Bilstein shocks. :)

Robotnik123
13-08-2008, 03:41 AM
Jan, he got locally sourced Bilstein shocks. :)

At a 100,000ish kms my shocks must have seen better days. I expect I'll replace them whenever it is the WOF inspector says they're bleeding oil.
:thinking:

CANDEE
13-08-2008, 03:45 AM
At a 100,000ish kms my shocks must have seen better days. I expect I'll replace them whenever it is the WOF inspector says they're bleeding oil.
:thinking:
Expect about $1500 for a full set of Bilsteins...

SHOWVR
13-08-2008, 04:05 AM
ooohhhhh....well if there is anything people want to send overseas let me know

d i c k i e s
13-08-2008, 04:18 AM
ooohhhhh....well if there is anything people want to send overseas let me know

how bout a car? lol....

Robotnik123
13-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Expect about $1500 for a full set of Bilsteins...

Ouch, well maybe I will try KYBs, Monroes or whatever is cheapest then.

Ryan
13-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Ouch, well maybe I will try KYBs, Monroes or whatever is cheapest then.

I think to get the Bilsteins would certainly not be money wasted though - they are a quality product.

Robotnik123
17-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Thread revivial! :)

Can someone get me a current price on the mentioned KYB shocks (341240 & 341241) and also a cost delivered to Adelaide, Australia 5000?
It would be appreciated!

I contacted Georgestock direct and they gave me a quote of $572.64 + $215 freight, + gst, so $886NZ delivered... bit steep in my Eyes!!

I emailed Pitstop in Lower Hutt last week and they just got back to me with price of $584.32 inc GST for KYBs. Plus $280 approx for fitting. Quite a bit cheaper than Bilsteins.

Hotwire
17-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Interesting...
also just been looking up the application of GST and found this link:
http://www.ird.govt.nz/yoursituation-bus/bus-aust-nz/types-bus-act/ecomm/ecomm-gst/business-australian-ecommerce-gst.html#021
basically,

Sale of physical goods:
If ...
a GST-registered person sells goods over the internet and the goods are physically supplied to a customer in New Zealand
then ...
GST is chargeable at 12.5%.

If ...
goods are sold over the internet and physically supplied to customers overseas
then ...
the sales can be zero-rated for GST purposes.

so I won't have to pay GST.

Therefore, robotnik, would you mind asking them how much without GST, and shipped to Adelaide, Australia, 5000?

Thanks!

Robotnik123
18-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Interesting...
also just been looking up the application of GST and found this link:
http://www.ird.govt.nz/yoursituation-bus/bus-aust-nz/types-bus-act/ecomm/ecomm-gst/business-australian-ecommerce-gst.html#021
basically,

so I won't have to pay GST.

Therefore, robotnik, would you mind asking them how much without GST, and shipped to Adelaide, Australia, 5000?

Thanks!

Yeah looks like Pitstop would need to agree to ship straight to you, if you wanted those shocks GST free. If I bought them and posted them to you, then GST would be payable.

Anyway, will see what Pitstop say. It might be a while before they reply though - they seem a bit slack replying to emails.

CANDEE
18-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah looks like Pitstop would need to agree to ship straight to you, if you wanted those shocks GST free. If I bought them and posted them to you, then GST would be payable.

Anyway, will see what Pitstop say. It might be a while before they reply though - they seem a bit slack replying to emails.

They would be buying them off Stocks anyhow, so its not actually better going through them.

Maybe talk to autolign, http://www.autolign.co.nz/? They maybe able to help you.

Robotnik123
18-08-2008, 12:59 AM
They would be buying them off Stocks anyhow, so its not actually better going through them.

Maybe talk to autolign, http://www.autolign.co.nz/? They maybe able to help you.

Those guys don't appear to have KYB listed as one of the brands they do.

Anyway, have emailed Pitstop to ask. They might ship to our Aussie friend I guess.

CANDEE
18-08-2008, 01:42 AM
They do have them Jan, I asked them last week about them for Lee. :)