PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router question

Paul Beazer
27-09-2005, 09:51 PM
This is aimed primarily at any IT professionals out there, but anyone's opnion is welcome.
I work for a telecoms company which provides lines through BT wholesale and ADSL (bradband) through our prefered supplier (who get it from BT wholesale).

The question i have is bugging the hell out of me and i have no idea what the solution is!

We have a customer who had a newly provided 512Kb 50:1 ADSL connection. Major problems getting their Belkin / NetGear wirelss routers to work with the ADSL (3 or 4 different ones tried). None of them would even pick up the ADSL signal and try to sync with it. We logged line faults and ADSL faults. No fault found. BT eng even visited site, plugged in a std USB ADSL modem into his laptop, hey presto sync and ADSL works.
I went down there myself with a std ADSL 4port router, sure enough, as soon as i plugged it in, sync. So the question is why dont the wireless routers pick it up. These have all be supposedly set up by someone who makes a living doing this. I could understand if the wireless routers tried to sync, but they dont even "see" the ADSL on the line.
Any thoughts or opinions would be gratefully received. Im stumped!

Cheers

SGHOM
27-09-2005, 10:28 PM
have you tried kicking it ?? /Hmmm :embarasse :embarasse

Legnum Lad VR4
27-09-2005, 10:38 PM
have you tried kicking it ?? /Hmmm :embarasse :embarasse

dont think thats tyhe kind of opinion he wanted m8 lol

DUNLY
27-09-2005, 10:46 PM
sitting with a networking degree here (no to much on wireless) racking ma brain here, let me get bak to u on that. hmmmmmmmmmmmm/Hmmm

Darren
28-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Does the wan link port require a crossover cable?

v8killa
28-09-2005, 08:17 AM
We had similar problem in our office - ended up with standard wired router with the wireless router networked to that sitting on top.

bradc
28-09-2005, 09:09 AM
yeah, couldn't you just use a wireless access point?

Wouter
28-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Are you using a Wireless router, or a Wireless Modem Router?

Not all router's have modems! :-)

ariddell
28-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Anything odd configured with the signaling type for the line, perhaps the wireless ones default to something other than GDMT or MMODE which would probably stop them syncing up.

Just a thought..

zentac
28-09-2005, 07:33 PM
ny netgear wireless router works fine, what models you trying?

ANTHONY
28-09-2005, 09:07 PM
i had the same problem the other week after a bad storm, i could tranfer files but not sync so i thought that the storn had blown it, i took it back to the shop he rebooted it and set all the setting back to factory and now its ok. it just kinda locked up. this may be of some help

Paul Beazer
28-09-2005, 10:06 PM
In order......
SGHOM, thanks!
Darren, crossover cable?? At the mo im just yring to get the router to just sync, which it should do even if there is no network set up!
V8Killa, thats the setup they have now!
Wouter, yeah cheers! I believe so.
ariddell, worth checking methinks.
Zentac, i think it was an 834 wireless router.

TBH I think the oinly way im gonna get this sorted is if i go out and do it myself, the trouble is 1) I aint gonna get paid for doing it. 2) I can only do it on my days off, and quite frankly why should i because of 1) above!?
I think their "expert" has got a setting wrong somewhere, because the router doesnt even try to sync, not a flicker.
Its only 10mins up the road from me, but an hour away from work (and 2 ferry trips away).
So moral dilema time, do i go out of my way to help a customer for no benefit to myself, other than good service and helping somebody out, or do i tell them, tough, we only provide the service. We dont provide support for user supplied equipment or set it up. (Which is the official line).
I did go out to site on my day off before and got them working last time as a one off and now they want me to go back again.
I think i should say to work i'll do it one morning and go to work when i've finished it. Bet the boss wont go for it!!

SGHOM
28-09-2005, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=Paul Beazer]In order......
SGHOM, thanks!
QUOTE]

thanks !! :thumbsup: any more problems........... just ask ! :embarasse :embarasse

Paul Beazer
28-09-2005, 10:49 PM
"Hmmm, yeeeessss"
Said in a Jeremy Paxman voice.

eeknz
29-09-2005, 11:20 AM
If I was going to guess the problem, I'll look at the DSL config of the routers that work and check that the settings are appropriate for your flavour of DSL.
As to going out to sort them out, I probably would for the karma. My rewards will be in heaven and all that. Perhaps they do something you need and can score back from them later.

Roadrunner
29-09-2005, 01:02 PM
As to going out to sort them out, I probably would
I agree, do unto others, etc ... If you were in their position, what response would make your day? If more people helped more people, the world wouldn't be in the mess (most of) it is today.

Paul Beazer
29-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Sadly they do womans clothing imports, so unless i have a sex change........
I will probably pop over at some point, as i would like to get it sorted.