PDA

View Full Version : openreach from BT

ANTHONY
27-09-2005, 11:26 PM
BT unveils new multi-billion pound business
openreach Facts

openreach's copper access network is 120 million kilometres long and so could stretch around the globe 3,000 times
This network covers 30 million customer lines from c.6,000 local exchanges
300 million telephone calls are made across this network every day
350 million internet connections are made across this network every day
openreach will employ around 30,000 people, 25,000 of whom are engineers
These engineers collectively climb the equivalent of Mount Everest every single day while carrying out maintenance on telegraph poles
They work down 200,000 manholes and up more than 2.5 million poles
They visit 11,000 homes and offices every day. That's 3.6m visits a year to help install new lines, make repairs, upgrade service etc
openreach will have a fleet of more than 22,000 vans
This means openreach engineers collectively travel almost three times around the circumference of the globe every single day
I work for them so we have some big changes coming our way
And this is how most of you get access to clubvr-4

strangebat
28-09-2005, 09:30 PM
no wonder they're on a recruitment drive, I lost a couple of good guys to them in the last couple of weeks /grr

Paul Beazer
28-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Does this mean they willa ctually fix faults rather than pretend to. I spend 30% of my working day re-logging line faults that arent fixed properly or the engineer attending cant find anything wrong.
Its not more engineers they need, just ones that actually fix things.

The Vee
29-09-2005, 02:17 AM
All this infrastructure and aol still havn't bothered to upgrade my broadband.
cheeting bu&&ers /pan

Wouter
29-09-2005, 07:35 AM
cheeting bu&&ers /pan

AOL = @rseholes online

Dump them and find a better provider!!

Nick VR4
29-09-2005, 11:04 AM
cheeting bu&&ers /pan

Surly thats BT's issue then AOL can only ask BT to upgrade the line and then wait for BT to do it

I kept getting a network patch download box from AOL saying I had to download to stay online at 2MB's

It took about 3 months for BT to actually get the IP adddress right for AOL and me resetting the old driver back to the original IP

I'm with AOL and can honestly say I'm very happy with them :thumbsup:

ghanda
29-09-2005, 11:33 AM
LOL, having worked for MCI for 4 years, BT (VNS - Retail Corporate) for one unfortunate year, and COLT for two years, I've heard it all :)

So fancy that, the Dinasaur incumbant has the largest network...;)

Paul Beazer
29-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Trouble with BT, there is very little of a viable alternative, so there isnt much real choice, unless you live in a cable area or Hull. But who wants to live in Hull anyway......

ANTHONY
29-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Us BT engineers rearly do try to give a good service but some times we are held back by the system/wall this is what openreach is gonna change./Hmmm ................watch this space

Paul Beazer
29-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Sorry Anthony,

Rant wasnt directed at you personally, it must be pretty demoralising at times. At one time i was told there was a huge shortage of engineers (14,000?) across the uk, so when there is bad weather the system as a whole goes into meltdown.
What is your day to day stuff, you field, diagnostic or what?

ANTHONY
29-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Sorry Anthony,

Rant wasnt directed at you personally, it must be pretty demoralising at times. At one time i was told there was a huge shortage of engineers (14,000?) across the uk, so when there is bad weather the system as a whole goes into meltdown.
What is your day to day stuff, you field, diagnostic or what?no problem paul....i'm a field enginer up poles and stuff