Mike.

caishanvr4
27-09-2005, 11:53 PM
OMG :inquisiti

Who let the side down then /pan

Come on, own up and take your /whip

Freddy
28-09-2005, 03:55 AM
I have a T5 story and tried to post it on their site, but it started screwing me around by not letting me log in, so I will post it here.

I was sitting at a red light in Auckland city (top of Hobson st) when a T5 estate came flying around the corner behind me and stopped along side. Thinking that I dont need the agro as this guy clearly though he owned the road, I'll let him fly.
This road we were on has a 45 degree right hander which leads on to the motorway. As expected he launched foot to the floor and got to the corner maybe 5 car lengths ahead of me as I was in no hurry, but he took the corner so slow and being that I was on the inside of him, we drew level. /Hmmm
His attitude had caught my attention by this stage and I heard him floor it, next minite I'm flooring it. He had half a car length lead and a bit of a head start, two estates going for it, two lanes becoming one, then a four lane motorway. To my surprise I caught, passed and left him within 100meters just as the lanes closed into one, I then buttoned off as I was doing 130km/h and common sense kicked back in and I let him go. I didn't know what a T5 was until that day, but it gained my respect as a fast wagon, my car slightly modified with exhaust and boost mods while the Volvo looked stock.

richy rich
28-09-2005, 08:24 AM
ive also tried to post a reply to their site no joy.
on the safty issue i had a big accident november last year in a legnum str
it was not my fault but to cut a long story short the impact speed was about 50mph my wife and i walked away with minor injuries the car took all the impact seat belts, airbags & crumple zones all worked well.
from the front of the drivers doors back it was still i perfect condition doors closed and locked.
i know volvo is safer but imo the vr4 wins hands down.
and if he has 9k to spend he can save him self some money on the purchases,
then do a few simple mods and be pushing 300/320hp.
but first change the brakes.
ok ramble over.

Simon
28-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Im actually surprised on how positive some of the posts were! if that question was put on any other website the VR4 would have been slagged off from the start!......i'd even say that the T5 would have been "set on fire" if it was mentioned on this site. Some of their comments are crap like poor rear headroom! WTF!...at the end of the day we all think weve got the best cars around....until someone faster comes along............ /Handbag

Dream Weaver
28-09-2005, 09:03 AM
I had a Volvo V70 XC AWD (bit of a mouthful !!!). Not the stupid jacked up pimp my ride thing they do now but the first XC, 1997 model so idealto compare against my 1997 Legnum.

Had to get rid as the ludicrously uncomfortable seats (Swedish ergonomics - my @rse) and stupid offset pedals which were so bad they caused leg pains to both myself and my wife after even fairly short trips.

My Legnum is far more comfortable.

As for performance, the V70 (5 speed manual) was seriously fast but in my opinion my Legnum is as fast or faster and outhandles the V70 any time.

Anyway they are just Fords now and if you talk to anyone in the motor trade they will tell you how Volvo and Saab quality has gone down since taken over by the US giants.

I notice one of the posts say the VR4 engine is basically an Evo engine. Eh ?

The engine in my Evo looks a lot different to the engine in my Legnum. "Basically" the VR4 engine is more like the petrol Shogun engine.

End of the day though, its horse for courses isn't it ?

pezza
28-09-2005, 09:46 AM
I test drove a couple T5's before trying the Leggie and yup they are very rapid... there is a driver local to me who I have had a blast with and its still 2 - 0 to me although it's been very close... The T5 is much more stealthy as there are hardly any tell tale signs of what it is..

I would'nt write em off completely but have to agree with Dream weaver about the pedals and interior...I did not like.. I think for estate purposes I would consider one of these if I had to let the leggie go tho ... /help

Has anyone come up against the T5 estate on a track or strip? (I spose most of the track meets tend to be JapCar meets) but I remember how well they faired in BTCC ... :inquisiti

Freddy
28-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Richy Rich, glag to here no one was serverly injured in you crash. Also good to know the legnum can take a hit. Anyone know what the safety rating is on a legnum/galant ?

valmes
28-09-2005, 11:37 AM
"Rapid-stop" (Did I find a right word to describe it? ;) ) from around 150kph (or something close to that number) into a bus... and I didn't have a scratch!
I would rate it something like AAA+++... ohh, hell, just - "SAFE"!!!

Nick Mann
28-09-2005, 01:07 PM
"Rapid-stop"

Emergency stop is the phrase that the driving examiners use. Good to know that they can take a hit, as Freddy says.

I think that they were the safest in the class when the car was launched? I'm sure the Volvo would have beaten it, though.

Nutter_John
28-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Hi All

Having Owned a S60 T5 for 20 months and having owned a VR4 for about two weeks I can honestly say that I preffer the VR4 - The Volvo is a very nice safe car and the brakes are far better from standard than on a VR4

But I just like the way the VR4 handles and looks , Ok the brakes can be a little vague at times but I've yet to find the limit on them . The performance on the VR4 is far better than a T5 - 6.7 seconds 0-100kph compared to around 6 for the VR4 - top end should be higher on the vr4 as well as the t5 is limited to 155 and it struggles around 125-135 as the aerodymanic effect takes hold .

Just my thoughts

John

EdmundVR4
28-09-2005, 02:25 PM
I had a run with a T5 in my 7G VR4 (6A12TT) a few years ago. Late at night, when the road cleared we ran from about 100kph & I out accelerated the T5 quite easily...but I was very surprised when he started keeping up & then passing me. I looked at my digital speedo...I was doing 217kph when he passed, & my temperature gauge started rising quickly. Gave up the chase...don't think I could have caught him anyway. Found out later that he was BPU+. Nuff respect to the T5 on top end.

v8killa
29-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Im actually surprised on how positive some of the posts were! if that question was put on any other website the VR4 would have been slagged off from the start!......i'd even say that the T5 would have been "set on fire" if it was mentioned on this site. Some of their comments are crap like poor rear headroom! WTF!...at the end of the day we all think weve got the best cars around....until someone faster comes along............ /Handbag

I sit in the drivers seat - never been in the back, other than with vacuum for cleaning purposes, so don't give a damn if headroom is good or bad.

ghanda
29-09-2005, 10:02 AM
I think the VR4 is one of those cars that gets respects from all forums - even the muppet ones like Evo because nobody really knows what it is, apart from fast and cool :)

Physician
29-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Read this post yesterday and subsequently went out. The very first car I encountered was ........ you guessed it - a T5.

Not having jousted with one before I thought I had better switch on the camera ........... but he didn't want to play :embarasse

At the end of this clip on the roundabout I thought I had better show him my exhausts so that he could contemplate how sensible he had been not to try and take off ..... lol.

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Movies/T5.mov