PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Wheel Hub

HJM
28-09-2005, 06:38 PM
As previously mentioned, the VR4 has been unwell since the last Combe track day and has been diagnosed today with a cracked front wheel hub (apparently due to 'prolonged hard use' :inquisiti )

Our mechanic appears to think this is quite an unusual failure - has anyone else had this?

The part is £208 plus VAT from Mitsubishi :rolleyes4

The symptoms were lots of brake noise and knocking, which got progressively worse over the last few days - still, hopefully it should be up and running again by the weekend - so no need to take the Supra to the Pod :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
28-09-2005, 08:18 PM
A bad news good news thread!

Glad it will be okay in the end.

Prolonged hard use? You been driving again, Jane? :rolleyes4

Paul Beazer
28-09-2005, 10:32 PM
£208+vat!!

Are VR4 ones different from v6 ones? I know that the drive flanges are 5 stud!
I recently bought a new front wheel hub for my v6 sport and was only £180inc vat, also from Mitsi dealer! I doubt if there is any difference other than then number of studs. Sounds like you're being screwed there. Unless im missing something? :inquisiti

HJM
28-09-2005, 10:39 PM
£208+vat!!

Are VR4 ones different from v6 ones? I know that the drive flanges are 5 stud!
I recently bought a new front wheel hub for my v6 sport and was only £180inc vat, also from Mitsi dealer! I doubt if there is any difference other than then number of studs. Sounds like you're being screwed there. Unless im missing something? :inquisiti

Tbh Paul - I have no idea - just want the car fixed ASAP :embarasse

Are they different? Does anyone know?

Paul Beazer
28-09-2005, 10:49 PM
I cant see why, apart from the studs, they wouldnt need to be different, would they?

Kieran
28-09-2005, 10:58 PM
I cant see why, apart from the studs, they wouldnt need to be different, would they?

Only thing I can think of is that the driveshafts might be bigger on the vr-4 to cope with the extra torque? :inquisiti

Spirit
29-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Good news on the successful diagnosis mate - and IIRC I don't think I paid that much either for the front hub......in fact I think it was nearer £150 ! Maybe a call to Mitsy yourself to confirm, and check for a blueprint part too.

Paul Beazer
29-09-2005, 08:45 PM
There may be extra torque, but isnt it split 40:60 FR? So im guessing it would be about the same for the front anyway?
I tried sourcing a front hub for mine, but unless i was speaking with a numpty, the guy couldnt find a hub for a galant through blueprint, unfortunately i had to lump out for the genuine article!
Good luck!

psbarham
29-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Only thing I can think of is that the driveshafts might be bigger on the vr-4 to cope with the extra torque? :inquisiti
i can't imagine they would be any bigger , the halfshafts on an artic are only twice the size of the ones on a car and they cope with 2500 ft/lbs of grunt

Kieran
29-09-2005, 08:53 PM
True - as far as I know, it's a 50:50 split, so it would be max of 140lbs across each axle (assuming NO transmission losses).... Or something like that?!