PDA

View Full Version : Engine warning/check light on???

scc
02-10-2005, 02:40 AM
Today, I was driving down a curved section of the motorway when I turned the car too much and the wheels touched the painted road lines that vibrate the cabin to sound as if it had let one rip.

At that instant my engine warning light came on.

The car seems to drive normally. No other warning light was on.
The engine oil was below the min mark - now topped up. But the engine warning light is still on.

Any ideas?

Scc

valmes
02-10-2005, 04:20 AM
Check what engine error code it has... your ECU.

PS: For past two weeks I had "injectors malfunction" and "MAF" codes... thanx to e-manage Ultimate. They are (Greddy/Trust) still coming up with different "adapters" and software upgrades to get rid of it. Although car seems to work ok.

Physician
02-10-2005, 08:48 AM
My best guess is a simple electronic malfunction which MAY or MAY NOT be simple to rectify.

Suggest initially disconnecting battery for a couple of minutes to reset ECU and see if the issue persists.

Good luck

scc
02-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Thanks, but I'm keen to find out what the problem is.

I earthed pin 1 of the OBD-II connector found above the foot well, and turned on the ignition switch.

The ABS light and 'N' light kept switching on and off continously (like the indicators) with a clicking noise???!??!?!?!?

Is this supposed to happen?

Cheers,
scc
(worried now!)

ritch_w
02-10-2005, 11:32 AM
why did u earth the pin?? whats it supposed to do?

going back to your original description of the prob - it happened after driving over the rumble strips?

sounds like somethings loose, i think its going to be one of those pain in the bum jobs to sort

try disconnecting the battery - both terminals, check all electrical connection in the engine bay, remove & reseat all fuses etc reconnect the battery

if it still persist you'll need to get it to a dealer to read the error codes, if it drives ok its probably a sensor somewhere - hopefully something cheap that you can fit yourself.....

scc
02-10-2005, 01:34 PM
I earthed pin1 to read off the fault codes from the dash? (I basically followed an article on this board on how to read the fault codes).

I think its time for a service...

scc

scc
17-10-2005, 04:40 PM
I found out what the problem is.

The front Oxygen sensor needs replacing...and the part will cost 157+VAT :rolleyes4

Strangely, it has passed its MOT though...thought the emissions would be off with a bad oxy sensor??

Anyway, does anyone know if the oxygen sensors can be cleaned and put back in? At least that would save me some ££££.

Cheers,
Scc

ritch_w
17-10-2005, 05:02 PM
I found out what the problem is.

The front Oxygen sensor needs replacing...and the part will cost 157+VAT :rolleyes4

Strangely, it has passed its MOT though...thought the emissions would be off with a bad oxy sensor??

Anyway, does anyone know if the oxygen sensors can be cleaned and put back in? At least that would save me some ££££.

Cheers,
Scc

i think so - but for how long it last..... /Hmmm

try shopping around for oxygen sensors - as some are probably shered with other models / manufacturers
eg http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/car_commercial_search.php?type=LAMBDA%2520SENSORS&manufact=MITSUBISHI&model=GALANT&engine=all

if you get the partno off the existing one you should be able to find something.....

pezza
17-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Am onthe hunt for an oxy sensor too.. The Vee posted a link to GENDAN (http://www.gendan.co.uk/oxygen_sensors.php) but another member checked out the spec and the mistu ones did not seem to fall into this category. Check THIS THREAD (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11661&highlight=sensor) for details.

My fuel consumption has gone nuts.. and I do get whiff of petrol again..
bar any fuel leaks I get the feeling something is wrong.

Not sure if anyone on here has ever changed their sensors?

What mileage has your car done, as I undsertood these should be changed every 60-100K miles? My car is about 125K miles.. I dont think an O2 sensor change is even listed on the specific mileage services??

I don't wanna have to give in to mistu but its leaning towards that.. :anxious:

scc
17-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the info folks :)

What mileage has your car done, as I undsertood these should be changed every 60-100K miles? My car is about 125K miles.. I dont think an O2 sensor change is even listed on the specific mileage services??

Its done 72K miles and just come back from a service. It took them 2.2 hours
for the basic service to change fluids etc at 62.50 +VAT an hour :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4 (and 80+VAT if its an import) :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4

Anyway the part number for the O2 sensor is MR507750

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
scc

ghanda
17-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Are we talking about the Lambda probe?
I was conviced my idle stabilser was on the fritz, as the car's stalled twice now after a run when I've come to a stop, but this may well explain it - especially as I've started to smell petrol too recently - and my mpg has dropped (albeit intermittantly) into the mid teens. I thought it was my imagination!

scc
29-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Here's an update on how I think incompetent Shltsubishi are:

First, they tell me the wrong part number for the replacement Oxygen sensor.
I found out because I doubled checked with another source before I ordered the part + I've never been confident of them when it comes to giving part numbers.

Secondly, there are two oxygen sensors in the front of the engine, and they
tell me that it is the very front oxygen sensor that is busted.

So I did a quick check on the 'busted' sensor using a meter and in my opinion it seemed to be fine.

I probed ****su further, and they said that its actually one of the two
front ones, and it is LIKELY to be the one that I've just tested...but they are not really sure? WTF? I nearly ordered with the wrong part number, and then I nearly ordered a part which they THINK is the problem? I paid them to investigate the problem of the engine light and I get all the wrong answers?!?!?!

To get down to the bottom of this I hooked the car up to a scope,
and I need an opinion here: the picture shows the outputs from the two front oxygen sensors. The signal at the top is from the sensor which ****su claims to be bad, and the flat signal at the bottom is from the second oxygen sensor (the one ****su thinks that it's unlikely to be busted)

Who is an expert on oxygen sensors and tell me which sensor is the busted one? I hate to keep proving ****su wrong all the time, but this is embarrassing!

Cheers,
scc

ghanda
29-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Update on mine: It IS the idle stabilser/stepper!

valmes
30-10-2005, 02:23 AM
Can you enlighten me as to how many Oxy sensors there are? Cause, I was always under impression there is only one lambda/oxy sensor in our car... /Hmmm

Are we talking of different things?

PS: 6G72TT has two... not 6a13TT or am I missing something?

dickytim
30-10-2005, 02:56 AM
Can you enlighten me as to how many Oxy sensors there are? Cause, I was always under impression there is only one lambda/oxy sensor in our car... /Hmmm

Are we talking of different things?

PS: 6G72TT has two... not 6a13TT or am I missing something?

It appears that SCC drives a V6 not a VR4, apparently they do have 2 O2 sensors.

scc
30-10-2005, 11:09 AM
It appears that SCC drives a V6 not a VR4, apparently they do have 2 O2 sensors.

Actually there are four. Should replace all of them at some point :(

scc