PDA

View Full Version : Manual VR-4/EVO gearbox

Kenneth
03-10-2005, 02:33 AM
Ok, I can remember and find a fair bit of discussion on the fact that the VR-4 gearbox (from the manual version obviously) is the same as the evo.

My question is this: does anyone ACTUALLY know what versions of the evo gearbox/transfercase etc are compatible with the VR-4 (facelift edition if it comes to that)

might be looking at a new gearbox/transfer case...

Kenneth
03-10-2005, 02:43 AM
ok, found this:
click (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240&highlight=manual+evo+gearbox)

My VR4's manual gearbox is W5M51, which is the same as used in the Evo 4,5,6 & 7 . Don't know if the ratios are the same though. Anyone ?

So, how about the Evo8? becasue IIRC, the evo 8 has a 6 speed.

Also, does it matter if the ratios are not the same in the gearbox? i mean, it cant upset the F/R diff ratios and screw the whole lot up?

bradc
03-10-2005, 05:59 AM
Kenneth, I don't think the ratios would matter that much because the manual and auto gearboxes have different ratios, I can't imagine Mitsi would make 2 sets of transfer boxes and stuff for the one car.

If I blow my tiptronic up then I will definately be looking for an evo8 gearbox. I beleive they fit, I'll check with my mates at ralliart. Compared to your manual gearbox, 1st gear is a little bit taller, and the next 4 gears are quite close together. The 6th gear is fairly tall, taller than the 5th gear in the tiptronic gearbox.

Kenneth
03-10-2005, 06:09 AM
If I blow my tiptronic up then I will definately be looking for an evo8 gearbox. I beleive they fit, I'll check with my mates at ralliart. Compared to your manual gearbox, 1st gear is a little bit taller, and the next 4 gears are quite close together. The 6th gear is fairly tall, taller than the 5th gear in the tiptronic gearbox.

That sounds like just the thing for the VR-4 then in my mind.

It would be great if you could find that out for sure.

dickytim
03-10-2005, 07:02 AM
EVO8 boxes would be quite expensive, AFAIK our box is theoretically from the EVO5, and the box ratio's will not affect the F/R ration that is done thru the Transfer case, which has 3 outputs, Left front, Right front and rear (to the diff)

BraindG
03-10-2005, 07:48 AM
EVO8 boxes would be quite expensive, AFAIK our box is theoretically from the EVO5, and the box ratio's will not affect the F/R ration that is done thru the Transfer case, which has 3 outputs, Left front, Right front and rear (to the diff)
I thought it was the 6?

bradc
03-10-2005, 08:07 AM
I thought the EVO 5 and 6 had the same gearbox anyway. Does anyone know for sure if the EVO 8 gearbox will fit?

Kenneth
03-10-2005, 09:39 AM
I thought the EVO 5 and 6 had the same gearbox anyway. Does anyone know for sure if the EVO 8 gearbox will fit?

I think you just re-iterated my question brad!

What you could do is ask some people who SHOULD know, how you would get a EVO8 box into an EVO6. viola, if they say it bolts up then all should be well.

Question is who would know?

bradc
03-10-2005, 10:08 AM
ralliart in penrose would know, and maybe ohlsens would know as well.

michaeli
05-10-2005, 07:49 AM
i would be very.... very.... very interested in an evo 8 box...

mmmmmmmmmm..... 6 speed..... aaahhhgggg.... :chugchug:

dickytim
05-10-2005, 08:18 AM
I have an exploded diagramme of the VR4 manual gearbox from Mitsubishi which could help if you can find an EVO8 one.

zentac
05-10-2005, 08:49 AM
nah it probably wont help as it wont have part number on I wouldn`t have thought.... and all their images for gearboxes look the same.

ako
09-10-2005, 05:45 AM
Something that may be sorta handy...

I blew the centre diff in my E84, which proceeded to kill of the remainder of my gearbox... Damnit. But thats another story.

So, I've gotten hold of a gearbox from an evo 3 RS. It wasnt a straight bolt on proposition - The bellhousings are different, and to change them over the gearbox has to be almost completely dissassembled. Also the final drive was slightly different, which would have lead to a difference in speeds front - rear, I got around this by swapping over a couple of parts fom my old TT box. Whether this is the case for the later model boxes I dont know, but its very much worth checking before you go ahead with it. CAPS will more than likely tell you everything you need to know - its what told me my gearbox was 99% interchangable with the E1-3.

Its not the hardest thing in the world to do, the instructions for a complete gearbox rebuild are online. If I could do it on my own in my garage then any monkey could do it as well.

And by the way - the legnum / galant gearbox is the same as the evo 4, not the 6 or 5 as some would wishfully think. They started making the E4 and the EC5W in the same year, so why would mitsi put a better box in one the family car of the two?

matsondawson
10-10-2005, 12:22 PM
I have wondered if the 8 box would fit too. It comes to mind at some point they swapped the direction the engine sits in the bays on the evo's I think around the evo 7? So this may suggest an evo 8 gear box would be backwards and not fit?

ako
13-10-2005, 11:30 AM
The current evos still have their gearboxes on the passengers side. Its only the 1-3 which have it on the drivers.

The E8-9 box should, in theory, fit. Not the box as a whole, but I'd hazard a guess that the internals would at least, and if its anything like in my case it would be very very similar in all other respects.

That said.... Is a 6th gear REALLY worth the thousands you'd pay for a damn near brand new gearbox?

Kenneth
13-10-2005, 07:41 PM
That said.... Is a 6th gear REALLY worth the thousands you'd pay for a damn near brand new gearbox?

Depends on if you need a new gearbox anyway :P

valmes
11-06-2006, 08:28 PM
http://www.eonet.ne.jp/~max-galant/09a_manuals/04z_manual_6.html

W5M51

VR-4 (AYC) ---> EVO 4 GSR (AYC)
VR-4 Type V --> EVO 4 RS

Kalle
11-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Great thread this! :2thumbsup
So have we all agreed on that the only box from an EVO that will fit bolt on is the EVO 4? And that the EVO 5 and 6 have some differences but do fit anyway??

nismoevo
07-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Thread lift :)

So the evo 4 gsr gearbox will fit nearly bolt on, to the vr4 manual?

if its true i have a evo 4 gsr gearbox somewhere in the garage.. ;)

Gly
07-05-2008, 11:40 AM
evo 4/5/6 are all the same bar ratio's...

no it does not bolt on,
no evo boxes do.

you have to use a vr4 box/bell housing. you can fit the evo gears inside thou.

bradc
07-05-2008, 11:41 AM
the internals will fit fine, Kenneth and myself have done the swap, no problems. The bellhousing however is different and that will cause you problems.