PDA

View Full Version : polyurethane bushes

pezza
03-10-2005, 10:35 AM
HI guys and gals....

Anyone know if there are any aftermarket poly wotsit bushes available for our cars? I did have a look at Powerflex but like many aftermarket parts manufacturers, mitsubishi only appear to make EVO/FTOs and sometimes GTOs.

Does anyone know if Evo bushes fit our cars?

I reckon a change of bushes (even if mistu rubber ones) should sort out the way the car feels quite a bit on an 8 year old car...

I would like to sort out all steering and supension bushes the shocks and then finally get tracking sorted..... The inside edges of my front tyres are getting eaten way to quickly by the looks of things /help

Cheers

Pezz

Rally205
03-10-2005, 01:17 PM
I did make enquiries about poly-bushes a while ago and nobody does any. However if you are able to provide them with a sample they will make them to order. Only problem with that is that I use my car everyday and can't take it to bits and give the bushes to someone for a couple of weeks.

zentac
03-10-2005, 02:44 PM
I wouldnt use powerflex they are a waste of space. Go with a different manufacturer.

Paul Beazer
03-10-2005, 06:37 PM
How so, softer than a sponge cake?

psbarham
03-10-2005, 06:46 PM
if i remember rightly they are harder than a hard thing :rolleyes4 and wear out at an alarming rate taking large quantity's of you suspension arms with them

pezza
03-10-2005, 07:02 PM
OK so powerflex are out of the equation.... cheers for the input folks! :thumbsup:

If I cannot source any ones from manufacturers will prolly settle for standard rubber replacements.. how much do you think we could be talkin here?

Anyone done this job before on a VR4?

Cheers

P

Kieran
03-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Here you go - They have an application guide (in Excel format) and the 1996-2000 Galant is listed. Despite the weird model codes, it's an 8G like we're used to.

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Poly_Suspension_Bushes-120.asp

Kieran
03-10-2005, 07:20 PM
And to save you time...

SM5H41

Control Arm Lower - Inner Bush SPF2079K 4B,2T £26.33
Control Arm Lower - Shock Mount SPF2107K 2B,2T £28.07
Control Arm Upper - Outer Bush SPF1921K 4B,2T £28.07
Trailing Arm - Front Bush SPF2107K 2B,2T £28.07

Format is:

Part Desc --- Part Number----- Contents of kit(e.g: 4B 2T is 4 Bushes, 2 Tubes) and price.

EdmundVR4
03-10-2005, 07:59 PM
The following Energy Suspension kit (most of the bushes) worked on both my cars 8G & 7G VR4's.
Energy Suspension Hyper-Flex Master Bushing Set (Red) - PT5-18107 http://www.ptuning.com/html/Item-Desc.cfm?PartNo=PT5%2D18107&MakeCode=mitsub&ModelCode=eclips&ModelYear=1995%2D1999%20All%20%28Incl%20GSX%20AWD% 20and%20Spyder%29&ModelDesc=Eclipse

I wouldn't do it again though...I eventually put back on my stock rubber bushes. The suspension got a bit too noisy & it was stiffer too. The roads here are bad enough & now I feel every ripple, bump, pot hole etc... with more definition & clarity. I guess with better roads it would be satisfactory...but it's not worth it to me here.
Regards,
Edmund

zentac
03-10-2005, 09:15 PM
I just had problems all along with powerplex when trying to get engine mounts made up for the FTO despite me sending them a complete set to copy. I ended up buying a bar of polyeuethene and getting an engineering company to make them up for me. It may be worth approaching http://www.superflex.co.uk though.

Kieran
16-10-2005, 07:56 PM
The following Energy Suspension kit (most of the bushes) worked on both my cars 8G & 7G VR4's.
Energy Suspension Hyper-Flex Master Bushing Set (Red) - PT5-18107

Hi Edmund.

What bushes did you replace? All of them?

pezza
17-10-2005, 12:53 AM
OH just seen this thread update...

Thanks for the part numbers!!! I am trying to find out the price of standard rubber replacements *gulp*

How much dya reckon mitus would charge?

Hopefully find out tomorrow...

pezza
20-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Righty... apparently mitsu will provide the units with arms and not just the bushes? :inquisiti I then stopped my pal from mitsu from explaining any more about how much it would be...

I hear replacing of upgrading bushes is quite a heavy job..

Anyone one here ever undertaken such a job? (on other cars too). Am about to read up whats involved...

phosty
04-07-2007, 06:52 PM
So has anybody fitted the SuperPro bushes as detailed above yet?

I rang up the UK distributor of the SuperPro bushes tonight (http://www.superpro.eu.com/) and he told me exactly the same items as listed in Keirans post above.

He also mentioned that he sold a run of these a few months ago, and assumed it was due to a Forum buy or similar. So if any of you guys bought them, have you fitted them and how are they?

My new Daiyama dampers have arrived from Taiwan /yes and are with Gary at M.Y. Garage but I wanted to make sure the rest of the suspension bits are up to spec before fitting them.

I have been noticing rattle on my front right wheel whenever I drive over cobblestones and assumed (tbc) that it is a loose/worn bushing. Also seem to have excessive wear on the inside edge of the front right wheel.

I have spoken to Nutter_John about fitting the dampers myself and it seems relatively simple. However I don't like the sound of fitting new bushings myself.

The chap I spoke with at SuperPro said the Control Arm Lower - Inner Bush SPF2079K and Control Arm Upper - Outer Bush SPF1921K are two part items, so easy enough to fit. But the others are single piece so I will need to press them in. He recommended the threaded bar, big washers and two nut approach which seems controlled and sensible (compared with a 10 ton press) but had little to advise on getting the old ones out.

So am I going to have to burn them out to avoid scratching the metal faces of the arms or would heat also cause damage?

And those of you who have fitted the Super Pro bushes - how do they feel? Do they give that new car feel?

Phil

psbarham
04-07-2007, 06:57 PM
So has anybody fitted the SuperPro bushes as detailed above yet?

search and yee shall find :D http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19370&page=3&highlight=poly+bushes

they work well , no real increase in road noise either , peice of wee wee to fit and make a fair difference

Beastlee
04-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Phil,

If you manage to fix the rattle please post what you did. I was leaning toward the track rod but having investigated the recal situation I think it may be related to the balljoint on the lower arm. It's done it for over a year now so obviously not critical yet.

stevec205gti
04-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Grrr - wish i'd found this thread 2 weeks ago after I spent ages trying to track down a replacement bush for the shock abosorber mount. I ended up forking out £100 for a new control arm

Grrrrrrrr......../Grrr

psbarham
04-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Grrr - wish i'd found this thread 2 weeks ago after I spent ages trying to track down a replacement bush for the shock abosorber mount. I ended up forking out £100 for a new control arm

Grrrrrrrr......../Grrr

bugger, can you send it back asap , i have a brand new set of rubber bushes sat in the workshop

peter thomson
04-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Phil,

If you manage to fix the rattle please post what you did. I was leaning toward the track rod but having investigated the recal situation I think it may be related to the balljoint on the lower arm. It's done it for over a year now so obviously not critical yet.

I have the same knock from the balljoint and am just waiting for the dealer to sort it out through the recall

phosty
05-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Ahh - I read a few posts and did a search for 'Powerflex' which is why I missed your extensive thread on the SuperPro bushes. Oops! Will have a good read.

On the topic of the knocking/rattle - I checked the recall status of my car and it has already had everything done before if left Japan so I assumed it was something other than the ball joint.

stevec205gti
05-07-2007, 08:31 AM
bugger, can you send it back asap , i have a brand new set of rubber bushes sat in the workshop

Not really - it's fitted now, and as I've removed the gearbox from my 205 (it's getting to be a bit of a habit with my cars!) i can't really take it off the road.

phosty
09-07-2007, 06:03 PM
I had my alignment checked last week and asked them to check out the various suspension bushes in case there was any issues that may be causing the knocking.

Well, they reported that the RHS lower arm inner bushing seemed to be contaminated with oil/fluid of some sort and was clearly in need of replacement (I think I read in a thread somewhere that some of our bushings are liquid filled?). The damper bushing on the same arm was also on it's way out. They also warned that there was play in the LHS lower arm ball joint. And the Tie-rod end assembly's on both sides really need replacing.

Hmmn!

A quick call to Mitsi:

Lateral Lower Arm Assy - Left/Right (MR296295/6) £147 + VAT, 1.2 hrs fitting each

Tie-rod End Assy - (MB912519) £27.59 + VAT, 0.8 hrs fitting

Total Parts: £410.29
Total Fitting: £258.50
Total: £668.79

Ouch!

Now, assuming I could replace the 4 Lower Arm bushes on both sides with the SuperPro Poly Bushes for a cost of £54.40 (not sure if VAT/ P&P inc) that would be a great saving. Assuming I can actually fit them myself too!! I would also need to pay ££65 for the tie-rod end assy's.

But that still leaves the ball joints.....which I understand are not replaceable/removable. However I did find this link.....http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/1888732.html?page=1

But I think that would be beyond me. And I'm not sure I would trust such a repair.

So I'm pretty sure I know what the knocking is now (the burst bushing) - I've just got to decide on do I:

a) spend £669 at Mitsi to fix it all or
b) spend £410 and have a go myself with Mitsi bits (the general forum consensus seems to be to avoid the aftermarket arms from Camskill/Germany etc) or
c) spend £120 and try to fix it myself with poly bushes (balljoints excepted).

Decisions, Decisions!

BTW, the tracking was way out. Probably because of the bust bushing. It had been causing excessive wear on the inner tyre edge. Once they adjusted it I noticed that my steering wheel was now true - previously I needed to hold it at about 12:30 to head straight. I had mistakenly assumed the steering wheel had been put back on slighly off centre previously. Noobie error, I know.

Kieran
09-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Now then..... I have an idea to chuck in the pot...
:inquisiti

If one views the Fulcrum (SuperPro) catalogue for the 8G Galant (listed on their Interactive site as the SM5H41 shape) you get a selection of 4 bushings.

If one chooses the HJ series (Basically the 1993-1996 7G Galant shape), there are a LOT more bushes listed.

Now, I'm am relatively sure that the suspension design didn't change between the 7G and the 8G.... So, maybe the 7G bushes will fit.....?

Just a possibility. I hasten to add that I *don't know* if they'll fit, but if you have a knackered bushing.... It may be worth a £20 gamble rather than forking out for a new arm?

Check out what I'm on about here:

http://www.fulcrumsuspensions.com.au/fulcrumCat/

phosty
09-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Kieran, it's the balljoint that's driving me toward a big bill, not the bushings.

That's pretty much what I'm suggesting in my third option. SuperPro replacement bushings (on the existing arms) - £54, plus new tie-rod end assy's - £65.

The problem is the balljoint that has play in it. New bushings won't solve that!

Kieran
09-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Sorry for the confusion Phosty - my post wasn't really in answer to yours as such, I'd just noticed that the topic had reappeared and that reminded me that I had more info to share.

Having read your post.... Has your car been in for the lower arm recall? The affected part is the balljoints. Problem is you have to get confirmation from Mitsu Japan (via Mitsubishi UK) before they can carry out.

Check your chassis number on the recall site if you've not done so already.:scholar:

Nick Mann
09-07-2007, 09:06 PM
The tie rod ends can be had for less money. They are the same as the V6's. IIRC less than £20 each including VAT. £16 rings a bell? Try a good motor factors near you.

phosty
10-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Well, I checked out the recall website and listed under Item 2 for the ball joint my car has "Work performance end" (courtesy of Google Translation). So I assume it was already done at some point.

But it's worth a try I suppose.

Nick - what do you mean by 'IIRC'? Not familiar with that. I will try an auto factors though for the tie-rod ends. Are any of the other suspension/steering items common between the Galant models and VR4s?

Beastlee
10-07-2007, 01:58 PM
phosty,

I just got a response back from Mitsi UK about my recall status. Despite them doing the work in Sept last year ( I have the paperwork from the place Bal worked) it seems it was never registered. Good thng about that is they are booking me back in for the same recall work. I strongly suspect that the ball-joint on the driver's side is responsible for the rattle I get on bumps and given that the passenger lower arm looks considerably newer I would suspect they only did the work on one side.
If you look at the lower arms do they have any yellow writing on them? My passenger one is much darker than the driver's one also indicating the driver side is much older. From what I have been told they only replace the lower arm if there appears to be excess play in the bush/ball-joint so if they tested yours and there was no play then it may have subsequently developed despite being marked as complete.
This leads me to my argument on another thread that if they mark it as a recall then they should replace the parts regardless of the current level of play. Above is a prime example of how the consumer could fall foul based on varying conditions such as milage etc. Try contacting Mitis UK and explain that although it has the lower joints maked as done you suspect that the play has now formed that was previously undetectable. They may at least investigate for free, especially if you argue that it is in the interest of public safety.

Hope this helps and I'll post my findings once the recall work is done.

Nick Mann
10-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Nick - what do you mean by 'IIRC'?

If I Remember Correctly.

phosty
10-08-2007, 08:57 PM
I did get my lower arms and tie-rod ends done by Mitsubishi in the end, £538 - they only hit me for 2 hrs labour so no complaints. It has really helped my steering/bumpsteer issues (see other thread: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484 ). My car had already had both arms done under recall in Japan and they confirmed this again in Aberdeen just to be sure.

However, with regards to the rattle/knocking sound I was getting, the obvious knocking from the bust lower arm bushing has gone. However I still seem to hearing a dulled thud when I hit speed bumps / lower kerbs (not fast).

The mechanic at Mitsubishi did say though that the OSF shock damper was leaking. And I get squeaks from the OSR shock every time it compresses so I think the next item to eliminate is the shocks! Luckily my Daiyama's arrived on Monday so new shocks and springs all round (well, when I get the time to fit them!).

If the knocking is still there then - well, maybe the front longitudinal crossmember is banging on the engine or something. Sure I read a thread about something similar?