PDA

View Full Version : Does it need a fluid change

ritch_w
04-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Now that its getting a bit colder in the mornings, that when shifting from 2nd into 3rd its crunching slightly when cold. Its more of a "feel" than a nasty gear crunching noise.....
Fine when warmed up. Will a gearbox oild change cure this? or any other suggestions?

(BTW - its a 5spd manual V6)

I-S
04-10-2005, 05:07 PM
A colleague of mine has been having problems with the manual box on his octavia. It's "notchy" between first and second. It improved when the oil was changed by skoda but he's still not satisfied with it and has obtained some Amsoil fully synth gearbox oil to see if that will help. I'll let you know the result, but he's been having some problems with the drain plug, and I'm off on holiday at the end of the week so might not know by then.

ritch_w
04-10-2005, 05:14 PM
no worries Isaac, keep me posted anyway, i wont be able to actually do anything like a fluid change for at least 2 -3 weeks.......

ritch_w
06-10-2005, 09:44 AM
update;

i have found that taking time with the gear change (when cold), instead of slammining it up from 2nd - 3rd eliminates the problem

i know the clutch was replaced by mitsi around 20 or 30K ago and they replaced the fluids then. Mitsi say the gearbox fluid doesnt need replaced for another 30K+....
but i know a man who will disagree with that!!!!! so i'll do a fluid change in a couple of weeks /yes

I-S
06-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Now you mention it....

My parent's '91 J Shogun V6 manual does exactly the same thing. With the clutch on the floor if you go quickly from 2-3 before it has warmed up it makes a crunch which you feel more through the lever than anything. It's done it for as long as I've been driving, with two different gearboxes.

DUNLY
06-10-2005, 11:30 AM
how easy is it to change the fuid in a manual gearbox, according to the log book its never been changed??

Paul Beazer
06-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Its a fairly common thing. My 'box has only done about 5k max since replacement and it does the crunching thing, once its warmed up its ok, just a but stiff for the first 10 miles.
The gearbox oil changes are fairly easy, just drain and fill. I think the drain and filler plug are on the front of the gearbox. If you have access to a pit its fairly easy, but you'll need either a long hose or a pump to fill it up.
Basically if it goes away once its warmed up then dont worry about it too much.