05-10-2005, 06:41 PM
every 54k or 5 yrs :thumbsup:

habbers
05-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Cheers for the quick response!

J.A.P.
06-10-2005, 10:04 AM
every 54k or 5 yrs :thumbsup:

:embarasse Mines a '98 which has only done 31k thought I was OK for a while. Wonder if the previous owner had it done....

J.A.P.
07-10-2005, 02:56 PM
:embarasse Mines a '98 which has only done 31k thought I was OK for a while. Wonder if the previous owner had it done....

Is there anyway I can tell or do I have to ask the garage to check?

Kieran
07-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Is there anyway I can tell or do I have to ask the garage to check?

You'll need to ask the garage. The Jap imports often have stickers on the timing belt covers with the date and mileage of the last change - But the UK dealers don't do this.

A V6 cambelt change is about £350 at a dealer on it's own.

ANTHONY
07-10-2005, 09:44 PM
A V6 cambelt change is about £350 at a dealer on it's own. any idea how much a 2.0 is kieran

Kieran
07-10-2005, 10:59 PM
any idea how much a 2.0 is kieran

Crumbs...... I honestly can't remember Tony. I would imagine a fair bit less, as the GLS unit has less to it, and access is somewhat easier!

Mind you, this is Mitsubishi we're talking about! /grr

J.A.P.
09-10-2005, 12:29 PM
You'll need to ask the garage. The Jap imports often have stickers on the timing belt covers with the date and mileage of the last change - But the UK dealers don't do this.

A V6 cambelt change is about £350 at a dealer on it's own.

:rolleyes3

J.A.P.
11-10-2005, 01:09 PM
:rolleyes3

I've been through all the service printouts and it doesn't look as though it's been done.

I can't see any mention of when the belt needs changing in the service book or the manual, so I assume it's down to the dealer to tell you when you take it in for a service? As it is due its 8th annual service soon and according to you, it should have been done 3 years ago, it looks as though they only do so when it gets to 50k miles.... sounds dangerous as that will be another 5 years for me!

habbers
11-10-2005, 02:24 PM
I've been through all the service printouts and it doesn't look as though it's been done.

I can't see any mention of when the belt needs changing in the service book or the manual, so I assume it's down to the dealer to tell you when you take it in for a service? As it is due its 8th annual service soon and according to you, it should have been done 3 years ago, it looks as though they only do so when it gets to 50k miles.... sounds dangerous as that will be another 5 years for me!
I would get it done ASAP. They (the Dealers/Mitsubishi) give a miles and no of years guide as the materials that make up the belt will deteriorate over time and wear out with use.
Not sure if the valves clear the pistons on the 24v but if they do not then 'if' it snaps then you are looking at new valves and possibly pistions and a lotta labour, etc. I speak form experience, had one go 50 miles over the service interval on a Sierra.

J.A.P.
28-10-2005, 08:44 AM
I would get it done ASAP. They (the Dealers/Mitsubishi) give a miles and no of years guide as the materials that make up the belt will deteriorate over time and wear out with use.
Not sure if the valves clear the pistons on the 24v but if they do not then 'if' it snaps then you are looking at new valves and possibly pistions and a lotta labour, etc. I speak form experience, had one go 50 miles over the service interval on a Sierra.

The 54k service came to 550 quid with a loyalty card discount including tyre rotation and geometry test at Mitsu in Sheffield.

ritch_w
28-10-2005, 10:01 AM
The 54k service came to 550 quid with a loyalty card discount including tyre rotation and geometry test at Mitsu in Sheffield.

not too bad then - could have been worse £££££

J.A.P.
31-10-2005, 09:26 AM
not too bad then - could have been worse £££££

The geometry test has tranformed the suspension. They say they just adjusted the tracking, but it feels as though the entire suspension has been tightened, absolutely brilliant. Unless they did more than they said, but are covering for the other Mitsu dealer (same company) who made a mess of fitting the shocks/springs in the first place, (damaged one of the shocks, so it failed MOT 4 months later).

Akira
14-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the helpful thread, my V6 is up to 48K, I got it at 42 and I was wondering about the cambelt. Cheers. :)