PDA

View Full Version : Ferodo brake pads question

haydar
04-09-2003, 10:18 AM
I'm looking to replace the Green Stuff pads currently in my car and want to try out the Ferodo DS2500 pads this time. I called Demon Tweeks and they list the VR4 for the DS2500 fronts at £79.24, but they don't list the rear pads? I asked them to check if they have a listing for the EVOIV rears, which they do but they are £96.18?

This is correct? Do the EVO IV rears fit the VR4 rear disks? Or are the brakes pads for the front of the VR4 the same as the brake pads for the rears?

Since I've owned the car INSERT INTO post VALUES (many many years) I have never changed the rear disk or pads? Is this normal?

pjjohnson
04-09-2003, 11:43 AM
The pads are different, and like you I have changed the fronts many times but didn't change the rears until nearly 100,000 miles. I just went for standard replacement rears as I figured the fronts must be doing 90% of the work. Don't know where upgraded rears are available.

haydar
04-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Cheers Peter

Also I was wandering if it's straight forward changing the pads INSERT INTO post VALUES (no special tool required or anything). I've changed brake pads in the past without too much trouble and would like to have a go on these too.

If anyones done this already, would appreciate a quick run through of the process.

Brind
04-09-2003, 06:58 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but I'd suggest you ask Pete INSERT INTO post VALUES (Spirit) where he got his brake discs from, you will most likely be able to half the cost that way rather than paying Demon Tweeks prices, it's up to you.

Spirit
04-09-2003, 07:53 PM
Doubt I can better the cost of the Ferodo's but I can confirm that the rears are different from the fronts.

There is nothing special about changing the pads either - I would go for DS2500 front and Mitsy standard rears INSERT INTO post VALUES (£44 inc VAT) - I changed these two weeks ago INSERT INTO post VALUES (after 54k miles so I would check yours everybody.

Pete

zedy1
04-09-2003, 10:58 PM
funky product did some pads and discs you could try them changing is very straight forward as long as you dont have to bleed the brakes

landy
08-09-2003, 10:39 PM
I bought a pair of performance disks and pads recently INSERT INTO post VALUES (Ferodo DS2500) and got the local mitsy dealer to change them when they did my 18k service.

The bill wasn't itemised so I don't know how much they charged, but it was no more expensive than normal INSERT INTO post VALUES (about £120); I also asked them to change my orange side indicators for clear ones while they were at it. :D :D :cool1:

-LegnumVR4-
09-09-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by haydar
Cheers Peter

Also I was wandering if it's straight forward changing the pads INSERT INTO post VALUES (no special tool required or anything). I've changed brake pads in the past without too much trouble and would like to have a go on these too.

If anyones done this already, would appreciate a quick run through of the process.

Remove wheel. Use a 17mm socket, loosen the bottom bolt/pin INSERT INTO post VALUES (do not remove). undo top bolt/pin and remove INSERT INTO post VALUES (don't remove the caliper from the suspension, only the 2 pins which are on the cailper, they have letters on the ends of them, L & G). Front part of caliper can now roll over on the bottom pin, may need a bit of a push if it's a little stuck. Pads can now be removed, they just click out of their holders. Install new pads into holders. Roll front bit of caliper up again INSERT INTO post VALUES (can be a bit tight); install pin and tigthen up again.

haydar
09-09-2003, 09:53 AM
Cheers LegnumVR4

Getting my new pads in a week or so and will give it a try.

Thanks again.

haydar
27-09-2003, 08:09 PM
Just changed the brake pads today. Boy was it easy! Anyone thinking about paying a garage to do it, don't, it was that easy.

LegnumVR4's advice was perfect, but instead of removing the top pin and loosening the bottom one, remove the bottom pin and loosen the top one. This was because on my car the brake hose wouldn't stetch the other way. The whole job took about half an hour.

Once the pads have bedded in I'll let everyone know how I get on with EBC turbo grooved disk with Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Spirit
28-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Congrats Haydar, glad it went so well for you ! Doubt you will have any complaints about the DS2500's !