PDA

View Full Version : RS6 vs Legnum VR4

michaeli
07-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Hi guys,

I have been looking at seriously modding the VR4 (try for 400+BHP) and buying another car (diesel) to run about in for work...

But it's a lot of effort and I have a well paid job which is very stressful and time consuming, amongst other pressures on my time.

What would you do?

Option 1 - Buy old car and Mod VR4?

Option 2 - Buy RS6 (maybe sell VR4 :rolleyes4 )

The V8 Twin Turbo with 480BHP is really appealing...... /help

OMG THIS IS MY 500'th POST!!!

valmes
07-10-2005, 05:25 PM
I guess if you can afford RS6 - go for it... great car no doubt!
But personally for me... there is a lot of satisfaction in knowing some of the horses that put to shame all the "known" sports/performance cars are something that you have put your effort/thoughts into...
just an opinion though... :)

PS: btw right now I am shoping for a second car... that probably will be a 3000GT/GTO/Stealth... :)

bradc
07-10-2005, 07:38 PM
If you've got enough money as Valmes said, why not buy a boring car to have for a few months while you have the VR-4 worked on at a reputable tuning shop?

Quail
07-10-2005, 07:53 PM
I have sooo much love for Jap turbos, but at the end of the day, an RS6 is an RS6!!!!

AllBeItMine
07-10-2005, 11:12 PM
If i had the money i would buy an RS6 tommorrow.

they are in my top 5 all time favourite car list...

Kieran
07-10-2005, 11:18 PM
I'd stick with the Legnum. S & RS6s are known. Legnums are not. :smug:

Brunty
08-10-2005, 12:42 AM
If I had the money I'd go straight out and buy a RS6.....

....if it didn't look like every other Audi on the road at the moment.

Quail
08-10-2005, 01:36 AM
Theres no rule against tuning/modifying an RS6! Just as customisable, heaps of potential!

http://www.tuningnews.net/gallery/oettinger-rs6/02.jpg

AllBeItMine
08-10-2005, 03:50 AM
If I had the money I'd go straight out and buy a RS6.....

....if it didn't look like every other Audi on the road at the moment.

they don't look like every other Audi - they look like an RS6... in the flesh they have the most awe inspiring presence, you don't get many other non-super cars with as much "Dont FUK with me" look about them as an RS6

You See
08-10-2005, 06:08 AM
The V8 Twin Turbo with 480BHP
480BHP with potential for a hell lot more!....ahhhhh....getting moist just thinking about it...ok, maybe that was a lil' too much info! :inquisiti

psbarham
08-10-2005, 08:49 AM
you don't get many other non-super cars with as much "Dont FUK with me" look about them as an RS6
i beg to differ , go and look at a black jaguar XJR , or even better take one for a test drive and see how many people try and (as you put it ) FUK with you

Kieran
08-10-2005, 09:12 AM
they don't look like every other Audi - they look like an RS6...

Disagree. That Audi could just be a 1.9Tdi in my eyes - Totally unremarkable. Only thing that stands them out is the badges, because most people know what they mean.

Nick VR4
08-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Theres no rule against tuning/modifying an RS6! Just as customisable, heaps of potential!

http://www.tuningnews.net/gallery/oettinger-rs6/02.jpg

Deffo the RS6

Audi have a chip upgrade for the RS6 taking it to around 510bhp and it would still be under warranty :thumbsup:

You See
08-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Audi have a chip upgrade for the RS6 taking it to around 510bhp and it would still be under warranty :thumbsup:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

paulmc
08-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Bang for your buck got to be VR4, but RS6 everytime for me if I had the cash :thumbsup:

michaeli
08-10-2005, 02:13 PM
I'd stick with the Legnum. S & RS6s are known. Legnums are not. :smug:

Disagree. That Audi could just be a 1.9Tdi in my eyes - Totally unremarkable. Only thing that stands them out is the badges, because most people know what they mean.

Haven't you just contridicted yourself? It's known unlike Legnum VR4 (1st quote) and the you can't tell if it's a 1.9TDi or a RS6??.... At the end of the day, there are loads of V6 Galant estates around, so I suppose my VR4 looks like a V6 estate and gives them a surprise when I open it up, much like the TDi and RS comparison.... Just an obvservation...

I agree with Valmes, there is alot of satisfaction in knowing that you have made the car quicker, but I am running out of time to fit in the 'mods'.. If I get someone else to fit them, I'd feel like I was defeating the object.

So is the conclusion...

RS6 if you have the cash...
Legnum VR4 if you have the time....

Kieran
08-10-2005, 02:21 PM
The point I was trying to get across is that the legnum is totally unknown. I agree with your point that it looks like a V6 estate to some degree.

With the Audi, it's unremarkable, and yet, as soon as most people see those badges, they know that it's quick - The Audi 'S' series of cars are known for being swift. Whereas with a legnum, unless you know what VR-4 means, you're not going to know what hit you.

Okay, here's another aspect - Joe public is more likely to know what a Audi 's xxx' is than a Vr-4.

jaimz
10-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Yep, I'd go for the RS6 I'm afraid.
It would just give so much more in every way (except money in your bank!)

I might even choose an RS4 over the RS6. There's just something more brutish and raw about it :evil2:

Quail
10-10-2005, 02:33 AM
Yep, I'd go for the RS6 I'm afraid.
It would just give so much more in every way (except money in your bank!)

I might even choose an RS4 over the RS6. There's just something more brutish and raw about it :evil2:

Good Choice

http://www.nordicaudi.com/arkivet/bildarkivet/moddade_audi/bilder/larsson/rs4-kent_larsson.jpg

Kenneth
10-10-2005, 02:43 AM
I prefer the look of the Legnum.

If I want to blow the pants of people, ill buy a GSX-R1000 and take the 300km speed limiter off... or do what my mate does and just go past people on the back wheel in excess of 200km/h. (in third gear)

So its the Legnum for me.

/edit: the GSX-R1000 has a power to weight ratio of very close to 1hp/Kg.

spy
10-10-2005, 08:19 AM
All this talk of RS6's has just reminded me about something. I have got a wedding coming up and it is my job to organise the wedding cars. I have wanted an RS6 for as long as I can remember, but i'll never be able to afford one so i thought the next best thing would be to have a pair for wedding cars. Anyway does anyone know of anywhere I could hire a pair of them from?
/help

bradc
10-10-2005, 09:26 AM
spy, I have no idea, most wedding car places seem to have either limo's or classic cars. You could contact audi themselves, they might know.

If you can't find them, but would be ok with Legnum's instead, I know where you can get a couple ;)

andy43
10-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Wish you'd organised our wedding car... we left our wedding in a... wait for it...

VW Passat diesel, in battleship grey. Mmmmmm.
Happy /Hmmm memories /help

Oh yeah, RS6, RS6, RS6 every time (except maybe for this lifetime, where the piggybank isn't quite full enough)

colVR4
10-10-2005, 05:52 PM
The VR4 is an awesome car but you can't compare it against a car like the RS6. Sure, you can get a VR4 up to those kind of bhp figures but thats not the point of the car as I see it.

I can AFFORD a VR4, a RS6 is out of my league!!

SGHOM
10-10-2005, 06:07 PM
I can AFFORD a VR4, a RS6 is out of my league!!

I've stayed out of this thread, but you've hit the nail on the head. /yes therefore there is not / cannot be a comparrison between the two. /yes

michaeli
10-10-2005, 06:39 PM
so if you could afford to buy a RS6 or buy a VR4 engine and have forged internals etc to get the same BHP....

Which would you do??

psbarham
10-10-2005, 06:50 PM
i was wondering about this today , and i must say you didn't post this question as soon as i thought you would

michaeli
10-10-2005, 07:02 PM
i was wondering about this today , and i must say you didn't post this question as soon as i thought you would

LOL!!! The Mrs' exact words were....

MRS :furious3: /Grrr
ME :oops:
MRS: - DON'T YOU DARE TURN THAT BLUDDY COMPUTER ON AND TALK ABOUT CARS WHEN YOU'VE SPENT ALL DAY WITH THEM!!! GET A SHOWER, YOU STINK OF FUEL!!!

ME :iloveyou:
MRS /Grrr
ME :vogel:

1st chance I got mate!!! LOL

bradc
10-10-2005, 07:39 PM
I would still go with a Legnum, anyone out there can simply go and buy an RS6 if they have the money, a 400-500hp Legnum would be much more special.

AllBeItMine
10-10-2005, 08:09 PM
put however much power you want in a VR4 - its still not going to make it better than an RS6.

the RS6 is designed around its 480hp engine. the VR4 is not. a 500hp VR4 would be a terrible daily driver. And assuming it had all the other necessary mods that go with 500hp, it would be expensive to maintain.

The RS6 is designed to handle the power and it will do it ALL DAY.

its at least 3-4times the car a VR4 is.

30something
10-10-2005, 09:26 PM
put however much power you want in a VR4 - its still not going to make it better than an RS6.

the RS6 is designed around its 480hp engine. the VR4 is not. a 500hp VR4 would be a terrible daily driver. And assuming it had all the other necessary mods that go with 500hp, it would be expensive to maintain.

The RS6 is designed to handle the power and it will do it ALL DAY.

its at least 3-4times the car a VR4 is.

I have to agree, I had a (all too brief) drive of one recently, wow what a car! it's hard to describe how good it is, but I would say that it's the current pinnacle of luxury family performance motoring.

AllBeItMine
10-10-2005, 09:33 PM
what i guess i am trying to say is that if it comes down to it - you can tell me you prefer the look/feel of the VR4 over an RS6 in terms of your own personal taste...

but do not try and tell me that the VR4 is a better car cause it just isn't.

Kieran
10-10-2005, 09:53 PM
what i guess i am trying to say is that if it comes down to it - you can tell me you prefer the look/feel of the VR4 over an RS6 in terms of your own personal taste...

Hmm - and the award for 2nd contradiction in this thread........

but do not try and tell me that the VR4 is a better car cause it just isn't.

In YOUR own personal taste.... /pan

In my opinion, the VR-4 is the better car - It doesn't look like an Audi 1.9TDi for a starter for ten, and when was the last time you saw a RS6 for less than 4 grand unless it was a crashed one?!

/STP

SGHOM
10-10-2005, 10:04 PM
does the german thingy do 0 to 60 in 3,7 secs ?? /Hmmm I think not ! /yes

mine does !! :smug: :smug:

Nick Mann
10-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Off the peg the Audi is undoubtedly the better car. If you spent RS6 money on a Legnum, then your Legnum should easily stay with the RS6. Which one is the better car then is personal preference.

Personally, I would have the heavily modified legnum for the rarity value.

I think there are many valid points on the looks of the Audi - the A6 Avant is a car with a solid stance. The RS6 adds steroids to that look. I do like it. However, as Kieran says, there is not much of a difference in the looks and in the UK the A6 is a much more common car than the Galant estate.

AllBeItMine
10-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Hmm - and the award for 2nd contradiction in this thread........

In YOUR own personal taste.... /pan

In my opinion, the VR-4 is the better car - It doesn't look like an Audi 1.9TDi for a starter for ten, and when was the last time you saw a RS6 for less than 4 grand unless it was a crashed one?!

/STP

its not a contradiction. what i said if you read carefully was that you can tell me you prefer the look or feel of the VR4 but you can't argue with me that the RS6 is technically a better car. the VR4 doesn't perform as well, its not made as well, it wont last as well. the RS6 is a superior car.

the look of course is up to you. thats a personal preference. i'm not arguing about that.

colVR4
10-10-2005, 11:33 PM
For me its not as clear cut as RS6 though. Not when there is the RS4, the M5, the AMG Mercs......which one to go for if you had the cash???

And if I had a few more squid I would probably go for the CL65....mmmmmmm 612 bhp

Kieran
10-10-2005, 11:51 PM
its not a contradiction. what i said if you read carefully was that you can tell me you prefer the look or feel of the VR4 but you can't argue with me that the RS6 is technically a better car. the VR4 doesn't perform as well, its not made as well, it wont last as well. the RS6 is a superior car.

the look of course is up to you. thats a personal preference. i'm not arguing about that.

Hmm..... I think you've missed my point. But rather than get into an increasingly nitty thread, let's just agree that Nick's comment that it is purely personal preference that decides the superior.

I totally disagree that the A6 TDi is the better car, and for reasons you might not consider important. But then again, the world would be a very boring place if we all thought the same /yes .

Wodjno
11-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Are we talking about the Twin Turbo 4.2litre V8 420bhp RS6 or the Normally aspirated 4.2litre V8 420bhp RS6 ? :inquisiti

KiwiTT
11-10-2005, 12:51 AM
I will agree that the RS6 is in a different league to the VR-4.

What you need to see is that the VR-4 is more attuned to the S4. The RS series are more like EVOs, i.e. a more raw car. Try to remember the VR-4 is more sedate than the the EVO series and that is why we like it. As people have said this is a personal choice. The RS6 is a better car then the VR-4, but it depends on what measures you are using.

AllBeItMine
11-10-2005, 02:32 AM
i reckon once you start spending more than 25k(NZD) on a car you are getting away from practicalities and into an emotional decision.

there is absolutely no *need* to spend 150k on a car. theres no real reason to do it. so comparing an RS6 and a VR4 really isn't fair.

the only real comparision is a GTB legacy and thats no comparison at all

i3ooyah
11-10-2005, 02:49 AM
arggh you cant compared a RS6 and VR4

though

vr4 wins hands down vs the gtb legacy having test driven a few before buying a legnum but the caldina gtt is a better oposition, easier to upgrade, lighter, faster :P

bradc
11-10-2005, 03:30 AM
The caldina gtt isn't a competitor to our cars, there was one at pukekohe on race day and they only ever hit the 180kmh limiter once in it on the back straight, the vr-4's were on the limiter for the last 200 metres or so, so our cars are definately quite a bit quicker in a straight line.

i3ooyah
11-10-2005, 04:19 AM
only way to proove it is to test it at the drags

you provide the legnum vr4 and i'll provide a caldina gtt :P

jaimz
11-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Spy,
Like you, I couldn't stand the idea of having a boring old Rolls or Daimler for my wedding (in 2003), so I approached Rally New Zealand /yes :thumbsup:
So, my wedding cars were a 2003 WRX, Peugeot 206 and Hyundai Accent - all done up in the World Rally livery. Not quite the RS6 idea you have (DAMN good idea if you ask me!!) but if you like Rally Cars, give them a call.
Some pics:

i3ooyah
11-10-2005, 10:32 PM
:thumbsup: what did you wife think of that?

jaimz
12-10-2005, 04:57 AM
Ha! Good question!
She loved it actually dude - she's really into cars too, and she and I both work on a starting crew for Rally NZ.

I guess maybe I'm one of the lucky ones..?

bradc
12-10-2005, 05:34 AM
yes you are ;)

marmel31
12-10-2005, 06:19 AM
To put a New Zealand perspective on this thread I would definately go for a RS6 if I had that kind of money to spend on a car, mainly because over here an Audi estate is relatively rare, on the other hand go to www.trademe.co.nz and see how many Legnums are for sale, ****loads, and thats probably a very small percentage of the ones on the road. Heaps of the Legnums are VR4's also. VR4's are pretty cheap here as well, you can pick one up for 3000 pounds if it's done about 100K kilometres. /yes

By the way, just how much coin are we talking for a second hand RS6 in reasonable condition?

AllBeItMine
12-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Ha! Good question!
She loved it actually dude - she's really into cars too, and she and I both work on a starting crew for Rally NZ.

I guess maybe I'm one of the lucky ones..?

you going up to Paihia this weekend?

michaeli
12-10-2005, 06:34 PM
By the way, just how much coin are we talking for a second hand RS6 in reasonable condition?

£30K in the UK :thumbsup:

jaimz
12-10-2005, 08:33 PM
you going up to Paihia this weekend?

I wasn't planning to dude - I'm a bit snobby and only really follow the WRC religiously. :smartass2

Have fun if you do go up... should be interesting if this kind of weather keeps up.

spy
13-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Thanks heaps jaimz, I'll keep that in mind, if i cant find any RS6's.
By the way, sorry for hijacking this thread. :embarasse