PDA

View Full Version : Pointers to spot a clocked car

Caveman
08-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Guys,

I am going to look at a very low mileage Leggie VR4 tomorrow, and apart from the paperwork (some of which could be bogus) I'd like to know what to look out for to see if the car has genuine miles or not. According to the dealer the car is 4 yrs old, but has only about 26k on the clock. Are there any giveaway signs that will show what mileage the car has really done, apart from the usual steeringwheel and pedal wear?

What tyres does the car come with originally, should it still be carrying these? Any other pointers? By the way it's a facelift estate.

Cheers guys,

Mart.

enigma
08-10-2005, 11:32 AM
We are all a bit busy preparing for a show tomorrow, dont be disappointed if you dont get an instant answer....we are all busy ;)

SGHOM
08-10-2005, 11:35 AM
and if you're anywhere near santa pod tomorrow......... come & join us. :thumbsup:

Kieran
08-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Mart -

This Legnum..... It's not black is it?...... :inquisiti

If it is, and it's missing it's front foglamps, and the bonnet slam panel is glossy...... Walk away.... You see, I'm pretty sure a crashed Legnum that Derek and I went to see had about the same mileage, and questionable paperwork - see here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7178&page=2&pp=20

habbers
08-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Guys,

I am going to look at a very low mileage Leggie VR4 tomorrow, and apart from the paperwork (some of which could be bogus) I'd like to know what to look out for to see if the car has genuine miles or not. According to the dealer the car is 4 yrs old, but has only about 26k on the clock. Are there any giveaway signs that will show what mileage the car has really done, apart from the usual steeringwheel and pedal wear?

What tyres does the car come with originally, should it still be carrying these? Any other pointers? By the way it's a facelift estate.

Cheers guys,

Mart.

Look for wear on the steering wheel pedals, seats, seatbelts, gearnob, mats are easy to change but these item are a little more trouble.

check the MOT certs and any service history for mileage to verify.

Caveman
08-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Thx guys.

I know the general stuff, belts, wheel, etc - but I was wondering if there are any signs specific to the VR4 that would show if it's genuine mileage or not?

I was hoping that at 25k miles, it could still possibly habe the original rear tyres on - which were these? Also engine or brake wise, is there anything to look out for? What should I look for on a test drive?

Some of the MOT certs are miossing and the last couple of services were done at the garage next door to the dealer, which I find a little iffy..

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Mart.

konman
09-10-2005, 01:39 AM
hey dood, dont know if its applicable to the vr4s but when i bought my first car back in 1995 i was told to check the speedo when cruising at about 100 kays. if the needle wobbles then the clock speedo assembly has been tampered with. mine was sweet so no clocking, but ive seen speedos that wooble and the car was effed. but i guess with any car check the paint quality, if its fairly new the paint will still be in good nick, not too many stone chips etc, and i suppose if everything feels tight then its probably in reasonable condition. my car has a milage verification certificate, checked on sale in japan, at the boat and on landing in new zealand, they cross reference all the data with records in japan and guarantee their findings. hope that helps. :evil2:

Big Ian
09-10-2005, 09:44 AM
(your choice /Hmmm )...but it might help if you can post the garage or part of the reg-number,as there is alway's a good chance that some other member/site user has saw/looked at the car and maybe able to help some more?
standard alloy's on all VR4/Legnum's are 16", give the front paint work a good going over as they like to catch stone's and the more chip-mark's then more than likely more mile's, if it's a UK supplied car (Ralliart/Mitsubishi UK supply) then i'd think it should have proper Mitsibushi service history (at least half it's services?) if it has Mitsi history then check the garage address and the garage code as both can be back tracked to more information....waste of time looking for wear N tear on the seat's as they are "well made" if the driver's seat look's shabby or flat, walk away /yes also if it's an auto-box, make sure the oil is clean (dirty/burnt oil can mean a not to well looked after car) alway's a help if you can get in touch with the last owner to /yes

:thumbsup: good luck

PS, front standard brake disc's tend to warp easy, check front lower suspension arm's (ball joint), if it's an auto look for damp patch on the under side (gasket leak.....walk away if they are not going to repair any leak's)