PDA

View Full Version : Exhausting

enigma
04-09-2003, 06:18 PM
I mentioned in another post I was considering a custom home built exhaust........well here is one of my ideas!

I note that the gap in the bumper for the exhaust has some plastic ends on, I presume I can get these from the dealer and hack.....ahem I mean carefully cut...... a hole on the drivers side rear. This would then obviously give me the capability of having 2 tips protruding from my read end :eek:

Initially I would probably start at the back and gradually work my way forward a bit at a time using all nice shiny stainless bits.

The other idea would be to split it in the middle and have 2 smaller back boxes, one on each side.

What do you think?

I have also been to a company local to me suggesting they may like to use my car as a development model so that all you guys can have a slice of the custom exhaust action........the company is called Milltek and they are a well respected bunch I believe. I will keep you posted!

zedy1
04-09-2003, 11:08 PM
just been looking into that myself dave ill say you scrap the cat silencer 1 and 2 and just fit 2 back boxes and tail pipe of your choice personnally id like to go for twin jap style there is a company called power flow what will do the conversion approx £700 with twin jap style boxes

enigma
06-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Looked in to powerflow, but decided £700 was way too steep! Afetr a trip to my local dealer INSERT INTO post VALUES (Very very helpful) I now have templates to make some flanges, and a quote for £65 for 6m INSERT INTO post VALUES (yes six metres) of stainless steel highly polished tube. My plan is to build a whole new system from the turbos back......all for about £200! Bargain!

I will go with your suggestion for 2 back boxes, it will be tight as the Drivers side was never intended to have a silencer squeezed in, but it will look way cool!:cool1:

My local dealer is also getting me some trim pieces for the bumper from Japan, that will give it that factory look. Lots of other commitments at the moment but look out for some pics soon! INSERT INTO post VALUES (I will be basing my front pipe on that shown in one of LegnumVR4 previous posts.

By the way the tube I am getting is 2.5", the 3" is £10 more but personally I think it will be too big. I will also have about 3m of tube left...........................

zedy1
06-09-2003, 11:10 PM
thats cool! get yours done and then you could start on mine
does that sound good>
i think 3" tube would be better

EdmundVR4
07-09-2003, 03:25 PM
Bigdaveakers, Use 3" pipe if possible, at least up to the backbox then you can split to 2.5" if necessary. And don't forget....mandrel bends !
Let it flow, flow, flow !!!
Ed

zedy1
09-09-2003, 12:07 AM
any luck so far dave

enigma
09-09-2003, 06:36 AM
Ordering the tube today.........just need to decide what back boxes I want, any thoughts on what would suit?

zedy1
09-09-2003, 09:06 AM
my personnel choice would be similar to the hks back boxes
or twin 3" on either side

landy
09-09-2003, 08:54 PM
bigdaveakers,

Complete change of subject - nice write up about the skoda on your web site, is it really 800 BHP ?

:eek: :cool1: :cool1:

enigma
09-09-2003, 08:58 PM
The stock engine is 400HP, I have worked on it to the tune of......well best not to talk about that!!:D It then has a Pro Race Fogger Nitrous system which is good for 150 to 600BHP extra, I think therefore 800 would be acheivable!

enigma
13-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Picked up my shiny tube this morning :D It looks sweeeeeeeet!

I also sent my gaskets to an engineering firm who will be sorting out laser cutting some stainless flanges. :cool1:

Owing to emergency minor surgery last Wednesday I am a bit incapacitated at the moment, no lifting carrying, bending etc etc INSERT INTO post VALUES (get the picture??!) Progress may be somewhat hindered, but the plan will be as follows:

Make a cat replacement pipe, and check out the performance increase. Offer all you lovely peeps the opportunity to buy your very own shiny cat replacement pipe :D

I will then sort out the cat back bit, I will split the pipe towards the back and have 2 exits, my rear bumper trim pieces are on order from the dealer, they come in the correct colour for your car and are about £30. I am the first to order them in the UK apparently! During my convalescence next week I will visit a couple of places to organise my back boxes, and maybe sort out some mandrel bends, as I think my bender will struggle with the girth of my 2 1/2" tube.

Once I am fit and healthy again, the back section will be cobbled together and I will have the meanest ass in town! Not to mention a healthy performance improvement! :D

Then I will turn my attention to the front downpipes.......will be quite tricky I think, but I am sure I am up to it! Cut a bit here weld a bit there, cut the bit you welded and start again! :p

On the topic of 3" tube.........cant see the point on a cat back system as the hole in the flanges is only 2 1/2" thus the restriction is already there, the pressure drop is already there, and 3" pipe will not offer any improvement over 2 1/2". OK 3" tube give better bragging rights and may give a slightly more rumbly tone, but I still believe 2 1/2" will suffice. Coming off the turbos the holes in the flanges are about 2 1/4" so again 3" here seem pointless, all it does is serve to take up valuable space! Just my opinion based on a module of fluid dynamics at University.......................:confused:

enigma
19-09-2003, 04:51 PM
No one seems too interested in this thread........but I am still going to add to it!

Picked up some back boxes today.......if this doesn't provoke a response, nothing will!!

What do you think?? Be honest! :cool1:

enigma
19-09-2003, 04:53 PM
And a silencer in all its shiny glory! :D

Just got to fit 'em now!

SGHOM
19-09-2003, 04:54 PM
James Bond !!!........ eat your heart out !!:D :D they look ??????????? manic !!!:D

Spirit
19-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Looking good Dave - gonna be awesome by the time you have finished mate

Brind
19-09-2003, 06:48 PM
I'm following with interest but unusually have nothing to say. :D on the forum that is, I'm dead quiet in person.

I can see there being plenty of interest if you can make up several CAT replacement pipes for us.

Those little holes look restrictive though?
On my 200SX it has a twin backbox as standard with bigger outlets than them and it's only a 1.8l turbo engine.
Looks good though.

zedy1
19-09-2003, 10:50 PM
you might aswell make mine while your at it dave

Spirit
19-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Dave I reckon you should and Mo does you a nice ICE install at Pod ? What you reckon - lol

enigma
20-09-2003, 09:26 AM
I have had some stainless steel flanges made, once I have mine sorted I have been told I would get a significant discount if I were to want enough to do 25 cat replacement pipes. I reckon I could do them for about £30-£40 INSERT INTO post VALUES (depending on the discount, at the moment each flange is £12.50 + vat!) a pop if people were interested.

An ICE install interests me, but for one thing......all that extra weight!

I do have a 30Gb MP3 player to install, but its a case of getting round to it at the moment! Quite fancy the idea of a full PC INSERT INTO post VALUES (I have a spare mini unit) install so I can do DVDs etc as well. I also have a projector that would be awesome popping up from the spare wheel well and projecting on an 8ft screen! :D Not that I am in to gadgets you understand! :nono: ;)

SUPAFLEA GUY
20-09-2003, 12:46 PM
dear bde,

excellent. the silent majority, at least me, is very interested. am trying my best not to spend too much INSERT INTO post VALUES (of money i dont have) on tuning to save for bodywork mods. but freeing up the breathing is of course the first step we all should be taking. keep up that pioneering spirit kiddo.

sfg

enigma
20-09-2003, 03:13 PM
After a couple of hours hard graft with the angle grinder and the mig welder.................an exhaust system appears!! :D Well its taking shape anyway!

Thankfully the nice peeps at Mitsubishi gave us plenty of room at the back for such a neat install! When I am done I may consider taking orders!!!! ;)

Anyway on to the all important pic:

Wicked!

Nick VR4
20-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Ohhh loooking good mate
:thumb:

Kieran
20-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Nice. Looks good - I don't like a lot of twin exit systems, as you can often see that the other pipe is just an afterthought. But I think that'll look almost like factory fit!:cool1:

Spirit
20-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Ohhhhhh, now that is cool :cool1:

zedy1
21-09-2003, 12:16 AM
so would you have it ready for pod then

enigma
21-09-2003, 09:00 AM
I may well have it ready for the Pod, it is very much weather dependant though. INSERT INTO post VALUES (Depends WHETHER or not I can be arsed!)

Seriously though...............I am not geting the flanges until 26th September, if the weather is fine I should be able to crack on over the weekend. I want to install the cat replacement pipe first and get some figures from my RSM. That way I can let you all know what you can expect from the BDA Cat replacement pipe :D

That should only take Saturday morning INSERT INTO post VALUES (assuming I can get the rusted up nuts off the exhaust!) Then I have all day Sunday to fiddle getting the rest of it sorted. The only problem I can think I might have is getting it to hang on the original mounts :Ponder:

zedy1
21-09-2003, 10:54 PM
sounds good m8

PAUL
22-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Very nice Dave better than a lot of the aftermarket stuff about.

If you are taking orders once done I will have one.

Good work.

All the Best

Paul.

enigma
22-09-2003, 04:19 PM
I will wait to see if I get any gains from the system and see if its sounds OK before I consider taking orders. It is a distinct possibility though! I have already devised a way that will mean it would be adaptable for individual tastes in back box :D Essentially I would supply the all the bendy tubework and people could add the back box/boxes of their choice!

I will be sure to keep you all posted though! Just as soon as the damn rain stops!!!:Cry1:

enigma
25-09-2003, 06:26 PM
Slowly, slowly it is coming together.......well apart for the time being but thats another story!

Got my bumper end cap things from Mr Misubishi on Tuesday.........after a spell with the scorpion saw on the bumper it was time to offer them up.

Not a perfect fit as they are not exact mirror images of one another, and they are designed for just one side of the car, but pretty convincing none the less!

1. Neat?!!

2. Closeup

3. Another closeup!

I have spent 2 hours tonight trying to get the old exhaust off.......I started at the back, thinking that the silencer would fall off in my hand. Wrong! The nuts are solid. Then I moved to the back of the cat, solid.........and very rusty! OK now I am mad :mad: So I tried the front of the cat, same story. Only a modicum of sense stopped me attacking it with the angle grinder! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

BraindG
25-09-2003, 06:39 PM
done a nice job of the bumper.. cant wait to see it all done!

but ive never seen a vr4 with a tow bar though :)

enigma
25-09-2003, 06:44 PM
I am hoping this weekend will see it all sorted! INSERT INTO post VALUES (SUBJECT TO OLD EXHAUST REMOVAL :mad: )

The tow bar came with the car.........I can imagine it being very useful one day! For now though it will probably be removed when I get round to it!

Brind
25-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Someone stole your idea mate but went slightly over the top! :D

enigma
25-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Now that is just plain silly! Where would I put the tow bar?!:D

Nick VR4
25-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Nice job Dave
:thumb1:

enigma
25-09-2003, 09:31 PM
I hank ewe!

Spirit
26-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Looking good Dave, good luck with the old zorst mate - hope you sort it at the weekend mate

enigma
26-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Well I gave up with the rusty bolts and took it to the garage across the road............he removed them for free!:D He doesn't half get me out of some pickles sometimes!

Well after the nuts were free the exhaust practically fell off..........OK it was a bit tight on the rubber hangers but it came off easy enough. Time for a trial fit

Try and picture it without all the bubble wrap and the trolley jack ;)

Also I have made a jig so that I can make cat replacement pipes, I am waiting for a price on flanges, once I have them I will be able to give a price on a shiny cat replacement pipe! If anyone is interested for somewhere around £35 let me know, I may even be able to bring some to the POD! :cool1:

PUDD
26-09-2003, 09:27 PM
:D hiya Dave,
Any chance of getting a preview look at your system and bumper before Santa Pod. Im just starting to fabricate mine
and it would be gr8 if i could pick your brains and get a bit of
foresight into how its gonna look underneath lol ;)

enigma
26-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Hopefully I will have some more pictures tomorrow, the only real problem I think will be sorting somewhere on the chassis to hang the exhaust from. With limited tools for bending bar, I will be struggling!

There are more pictures in this post, along with lots of details. If you want to know anything else, just let me know!

PUDD
26-09-2003, 11:24 PM
:D ok,cheers dave;)

Spirit
27-09-2003, 08:06 AM
Dave, it's gonna look soooo cool ! The challenge soon will be to find someone who has a totally untouched VR4 - LOL !

Great work mate

enigma
27-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Untouched VR4??????! Mine was totally untouched for 4 years until I bought it a month ago! It even still had the 112mph speed limit!

Spirit
27-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Guess yours doesn't know whats hit it now then :D

Nick VR4
27-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Mines in untouched apart from the Speed limiter and the Ralliart seat pads and boot mat :)

enigma
27-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Aha! Its done :D :cool1: :boing1: :boing2: :boing3:

As promised some more pics!

First my shiny cat replacement pipe............

And then the full cat back system..............

Now it is installed!

And from down low...............

And finally a movie......its a bit dull but its noisy!!!
:cool1:

BraindG
27-09-2003, 05:00 PM
omg! - /pisses himself.

now that sounds nice! cant wait to hear that at Pod :D
:coolio:

lisa
27-09-2003, 05:34 PM
Nice !

I just hope there are not too many speed bumps round your way !

Brind
27-09-2003, 06:58 PM
Effing hell that sounds nice!! :eek:

Is that an exhaust temperature sensor sticking out of the straight piece before the bend on the left can?

Nick VR4
27-09-2003, 07:33 PM
OMG looks good man and sounds good too

I'm not to sure about the tow bar though :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

haydar
27-09-2003, 08:17 PM
This is absolutely brillant!!!:bow: :bow: :bow:

I believe this merits the title of 'ClubVR4er of the Month'.

SGHOM
27-09-2003, 09:16 PM
do you take visa ??? or switch ?? & do you deliver ?? :D :D

Kieran
27-09-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by haydar
I believe this merits the title of 'ClubVR4er of the Month'.

I second that! How's it drive? Any effect on performance?

enigma
27-09-2003, 11:06 PM
It has yielded a 13BHP increase in power, peak power seems to be at about 5500rpm still, but it is stronger low down too. I am not sure about the top end of the rev range, not played much yet!

The only problem is..........it is bloody loud and gives me earache! Not as much as the wife gave me on tonights trip up the motorway though!!!!:D

PUDD
28-09-2003, 12:49 AM
:hurrah: :thumb: arrr m8,that is awesome,just the inspiration i needed:D
working on mine now:D ;)

Spirit
28-09-2003, 10:00 AM
Dave thats brilliant mate !

/passes Dave the Club VR4'er of the month award

How much did it all cost in the end then ?

Pete

enigma
28-09-2003, 11:14 AM
Price breakdown:

6m mirror finish stainless 2.5" tube £75 INSERT INTO post VALUES (still have 3m left!)
6 90 degree bends from my local powerflow dealer £60 INSERT INTO post VALUES (this amounted to 3m of tube)
2 powerflow silencers £160 INSERT INTO post VALUES (loads of styles available!)
6 exhaust flanges laser cut stainless £75 INSERT INTO post VALUES (this would be a lot cheaper buying in bulk)
1 reel of stinless welding wire £13
2 rear bumper trims £25
10 hours of my time...............priceless! :cool1:

So all in all about £410

Not bad when you compare it to a powerflow quote of ££700 or a single exit for £450, especially when you consider I have enough potentially for another one!!!!

As I have said if you want a cat replacement pipe shout up and I will see what I can do!

haydar
28-09-2003, 10:55 PM
:soapbox: :soapbox:

I'm shouting!!!!

zedy1
28-09-2003, 11:41 PM
just enqiried with a company who qouted me the a figger of 550 ish for twin entry catreplacement included and jap style ends

-LegnumVR4-
11-10-2003, 06:08 AM
Are you going to have a play with the extractors from the turbos Dave? Response from the turbo's increases.

Here are some Japanese makes:

-LegnumVR4-
11-10-2003, 06:13 AM
Gets a bit tight under there too!:D

-LegnumVR4-
11-10-2003, 06:15 AM
Here is the pipe system that is pictured on the car above.

enigma
11-10-2003, 08:16 AM
That is the plan!

Any idea what the pipe size is?

2.5" looks too big, as for 3................???!

zedy1
11-10-2003, 09:40 AM
that looks good how much did it cost?

-LegnumVR4-
12-10-2003, 12:24 AM
I'm pretty sure it's 2.5" for the 2 downpipes from the turbo's. It's then 3" to from where the 2.5" pipes meet.

I'm not sure of the price for it as it's a Japanese product. I do have there website: http://ps-iida.co.jp/

But the link is broken at the moment, not sure if they have changed their address or not.

By the way, nice work with the exhausts Dave, looks great!:cool1:

Rhys

enigma
12-10-2003, 05:49 AM
Thanks Rhys, it sounds pretty good too!! INSERT INTO post VALUES (my wife would disagree though!):D

zedy1
05-11-2003, 08:14 PM
looks good dave im gonna look for another hks back box would you make me a the centre pipe work from the cat onwards and join the hks back boxes up.

nutrok
18-07-2005, 10:50 AM
good stuf dave its freakin awesome. ive had my car 3 days n already bawt me a couple of shiny mufflers for the vr4 legnum. hopefully theyll b on in a month or two.