PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe ?

Spirit
04-09-2003, 08:10 PM
As you may have seen, Dave and I have installed Apexi RSM's and we need to caliberate accurate power loss settings.

This involves getting the car up to speeds of 100mph + then putting gearbox in neutral and coasting to a stop to allow the RSM to plot a graph of power loss.

Is this safe with an auto box ???

Cheers

Pete

Nick VR4
04-09-2003, 08:48 PM
In the Manual it says on towing car
Only to speed of 31mph and only max distance of 19 miles
Any more than that front wheels need to be off ground

It really all depends if the Auto gearbox still pumps AT fluid through the gearbox when in neuteral and the engine is running
Some cars do some dont ???

So I would avoid going this until you get some confirmed info
Pref from a Mits mechanic

SGHOM
04-09-2003, 09:58 PM
putting the car into neutral will have no detrimental effect at all. I've done many a time with no problem. just make sure you dont push the lever too far forward !!!:nono:

zedy1
04-09-2003, 10:49 PM
shuld be fine pete.

EdmundVR4
05-09-2003, 02:00 AM
" In the Manual it says on towing car
Only to speed of 31mph and only max distance of 19 miles
Any more than that front wheels need to be off ground "

They must be talking about a 2WD Galant. AWD vehicles must be towed with all 4 wheels off the ground or else you may expeirence major damage to drive train.

Also, I agree with Zedy....just be careful when putting it back in gear to match the rpm's to the speed.
Edmund

Spirit
05-09-2003, 07:34 AM
Thanks guys - thought I best check before I did it and knackered the gearbox :Cry1:

pjjohnson
05-09-2003, 09:00 AM
It'll be safe on the gearbox, but I wouldn't fancy being in neutral and coasting from 100mph+ to zero - you'll need a long flat empty piece of road.

Brind
05-09-2003, 11:57 AM
Go with what has been said but I'm not going to say anything.

Four wheel drive cars must have all four wheels moving together.

Automatic cars must not be towed, common sense not to leave it in P, if being towed anyway.
Since they say "you cannot push or tow an automatic" I would assume this also means that even the car rolling on its own, even in neutral would cause some damage.

Just like if you break down on railway tracks, you've just gotta leave the car as it ain't going anywhere until the train comes and pushes it half a mile up the tracks.