PDA

View Full Version : Paint Chips...

Kieran
04-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Frasser, rasser:mad2:...

One thing with buying higher mileage cars is even the looked after ones bear the scars of pounding many miles of motorway - My bonnet and front airdam are decidedly pebble-dashed, so I'm now armed with a can and touch up stick of Mitsubishi's finest hamilton silver paint.

Thing is, I always seem to make an absolute hash of touching in the chips, especially the ones that are larger INSERT INTO post VALUES (say slightly smaller than a 5p piece). I don't expect flawless, but it would be nice to have an even, smooth touch-in that blends in quite well. The fact that I need to fart about with colour and then a layer of laquer is even more scary!:INSERT INTO post VALUES (

Any tips?

Nick VR4
04-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Kieran

Any tips?

Mmmmmm

Go get the Yellow Pages and look under chips away or Chip Master :p :)

Cost is around £80 per panel but you can haggle the cost with the guy

unless you do a good job it can look worse than before IMHO

Cheers

Kieran
04-09-2003, 09:19 PM
:Eyecrazy: Bloody Hell! Chip Master is like, 30 SECONDS WALK from my front door! I must be going around with my eyes shut!!!

I think I'll be poping over there to see them and get a price when I come back from my holidays:D

Spirit
04-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Why not approach one of the staff to see if they fancy a cash in hand job on the side ?

Pete

SGHOM
04-09-2003, 10:25 PM
people like "chips away" etc do a great job, but they are all franchises, & know ....or should I say "told" what to charge. there are plenty of guys around who can do you a decent job for a fraction of the price. IE : paint technic, in sheffield could do you a wing for around £50. I've just had a "0800" boarding up service, to some premises of mine, 2 sheets of plywood, & an hours work.............. £405 :nono: :nono:

Brind
04-09-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Kieran
Any tips?

Don't ask me to do it! :nono: I'm lethal with paint, dunno why as I'm very practical but you give me a paint brush and I will make the news somehow. :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

I don't know what you have but ahem Halfords do touch up kits that come with the paint, lacquer etc plus small shaped abrasive pads.
I'm sure time will ensure a good job, if not then you get plenty of paint.

zedy1
05-09-2003, 12:46 AM
how about sand the car down to bear metel. NO PAINT=NO PAINT CHIPS :D :D :D