PDA

View Full Version : quarter mile times

bensonsnuts
11-10-2005, 03:30 PM
First time I've seen a timed 1/4 mile and I have a few questions ?

I was watching the digital timer and there was some slow reaction times . Sometimes one driver could be almost 2secs slower than the other lane . Being that slow off the mark almost certainly meant they would finish 2nd even tho' their car had a faster terminal speed .
What puzzled me was the times awarded for the 1/4 mile . After reacting slower and finishing second they could still have a faster time for the 1/4 mile .
Does that mean the reaction time is largely irrelevant ? Does the timed section not start until after the car has moved triggering a sensor etc. Obviously it does not matter who crosses the line first , it's all about the time between the 2 points . Is that right ? I guess including the reaction times wouldn't be a true reflection of the cars 1/4 time .
Some of the cars seemed to be travelling quite slow , but when you see it translated into a 0 - 60mph time , that puts it in perspective. 6 secs for a 2 tonne ........Wow !!
I wonder what mine could do . Very tempted to try it at least once.

am2801
11-10-2005, 04:27 PM
You really should have a go. It doesn't matter how fast you are or how quick your time!!
It's the taking part (well that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it)
I had great fun on the strip and it was my 1st time ever on Sunday.

Nick Mann
11-10-2005, 05:30 PM
The 1/4 mile time is as you have guessed, only measured from the moment you start moving. The pros race for the line, but most of the rest of us are just looking for a decent 1/4 time. I had a very long reaction time for my best run, simply because I wanted to shave a tenth off rather than beat the guy in the next lane. Even though he was nearly three seconds slower than me he still pipped me to the post!! But that wasn't what I wanted to achieve.

Straight lining is a cheaper way of enjoying your cars performance than a track day, but IMO it is not as much fun. Definitley give it a go - you could end up as hooked as BDA and SGHOM!

pezza
11-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Yup.. it did look like a Load of fun.. pity I got there after 1pm.

The queues put me off...

I wonder what the other RWYB days are like? As busy? I may take a trip up within next couple of weeks to have a go!

Has everyone who ran on sunday put up their best times? There were a good few models of galants there...c'mon dont be shy... :chugchug:

AllBeItMine
11-10-2005, 06:46 PM
it depends on the event that is running. in DYO (Dial Your Own time) you tell people how fast your car is going to run, then when it comes to race you are handicapped depending on the car you are racing.

so if you say you are going to run a 13.5 and you are racing against a 14.5 car - he will get a second head start.

in this type of racing, getting to the end of the track BEFORE the other car gives you the win but the timer will only start counting your quarter mile time once you pass the sensor at the starting line tree. so you may pass the quarter mile in 17 seconds but it only took you 13 seconds as you screwed up the start with a 3 second reaction time.

in DYO - if you run under your specified time you are disqualified.

when racing like this it comes down to purely reaction times and consistency of driving.

am2801
12-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Has everyone who ran on sunday put up their best times? There were a good few models of galants there...c'mon dont be shy... :chugchug:[/QUOTE]

I'm a bit unsure as to where to my time should be posted
(in the bin perhaps)
so if i hide it here there should only be a few people who see it!

So anyway back to my 'it's taking part that counts'
I did the 1/4 mile in......................................

But in my defence my Galant is only an unmodded, 1989, 1.8 non-inj.

Maybe my confession will encourage others to take part (or maybe not)

Roadrunner
12-10-2005, 04:56 PM
I did the 1/4 mile in......................................

Beaten by a Smart car ;) (19.9 secs) you might as well kill yourself! /yes Still, you're not alone, I got beaten by a VW bus!! :embarasse