PDA

View Full Version : dim headlights...?

nodding_dino
13-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi All,

The dipped beam on the Galant seems quite dull compared to our MK4 Golf and I'm beginning to think that it might be worth changing the bulbs. I've done a search for recommendations but most threads seem to discuss VR4 lights...I guess they are the same on the V6 but just to be sure, can anyone point me in the right direction for a decent set of replacements?

Thanks!

PS - Having been a Galant owner for a couple of weeks, I can honestly say I LOVE IT! /Steeringw

nodding_dino
13-10-2005, 04:11 PM
what about these...they come in a very shiny box! ;) (http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=124&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=92)

I-S
13-10-2005, 08:11 PM
I replaced the bulbs in my GLS with Bosch Xenon power bulbs. They both blew after about a year (one at the beginning of summer, one at the end of summer, when they obviously don't get much use). I replaced them with the cheaper Halfrauds ones which are every bit as bright and rather cheaper. Since I suspect that they'll last about as long as the bosch I don't see much reason to spend the extra.

They're certainly a good improvement over the standard bulbs, plus bulbs get dimmer as they age anyway.

nodding_dino
13-10-2005, 08:17 PM
thanks Isaac, I'll take a look!

Kieran
13-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Autobulbsdirect.co.uk are another good source.

Their own brand 'Ice Blue' H7s and H1s, although cheap, are a noticeable improvement over standard halogens.

nodding_dino
13-10-2005, 10:31 PM
thanks Keiran.

bensonsnuts
14-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Hadn't realised how dim my headlights had become over time , till my alternator packed in totally . Once it was replaced the headlights were loads better .

Louis
15-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Don't know if its a good deal or not but at the moment halfords are doing buy one get one free on their "super brilliance lamps" £17.00 for one (and one free), may be of use, meant to be 50% brighter

NevGroom
15-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Halfords also sell "off-road" bulbs which give you 120/100w on main/dip as opposed to 60/55w. Makes a considerable differnce and not "terribly" illegal (MOT never spot them either). Anytime I get a new car first thing I do is to put in the higher wattage bulbs.

nodding_dino
15-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up Louis...I bought a pair of the 'Super Brilliance' bulbs today, and got them fitted whilst I was still in the car park so I didn't even have to get my hands dirty!

A bit off topic, but as I pulled into the car park, near the entrance, two of the Halfords staff were having a break...one of them immediately pointed over to the car and excitedly started to tell his mate about the twin turbos (I didn't have the heart to tell him it was a straight V6) the missus thought it was hilarious as I walked in all puffy chested and proud that my new motor had already drawn attention to itself (even if it was under false pretences ;) ).

zedy1
15-10-2005, 07:57 PM
why not buy hid lights, im currently trying to do a deal on a bukk buy :evil2:

Kieran
15-10-2005, 08:01 PM

/Hmmm........ :embarasse

No more spending....Must resist... No more spending...... :embarasse /pan

Err......

How much?! :embarasse /help :rolleyes4 /grr

psbarham
15-10-2005, 08:21 PM
/Hmmm........ :embarasse

No more spending....Must resist... No more spending...... :embarasse /pan

Err......

How much?! :embarasse /help :rolleyes4 /grr
ditto :embarasse

nodding_dino
15-10-2005, 09:39 PM

You might be able to twist my arm... /Hmmm

Paul Beazer
16-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Oooh, ooh, me too!
Err how much first??

zedy1
16-10-2005, 10:21 PM
ILL GET A PRICE TOMMORROW :thumbsup:

nodding_dino
16-10-2005, 10:24 PM
of course the price will include someone coming over to my gaff to fit them....

won't it? :)

nodding_dino
17-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Did you manage to get a price worked out Zedy?

Pete M
18-10-2005, 05:01 AM
I've heard that HID lights must have self-levelling mechanism or they are illegal. Could well be checked at MOT time. Is this true?

I-S
18-10-2005, 06:36 AM
Certainly true for OEM fitments. However, some Galants have self-levelling. My GLS wagon does for example.

Kieran
18-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Yes, there's a bit of a grey area here - if the car originally comes with HIDs, yes, they must have a levelling device. But if the car didn't... well, it's a case of there's nothing to say they're *not* illegal to retro-fit them.....

Wirdy has had HIDs for some time, and I don't think he's had any issues.

zedy1
18-10-2005, 08:52 AM
im still waiting fr a price of hm

Pete M
20-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Does the self-levelling work quickly (would it react if you bounced the car up and down) or slowly, like the old headlamp adjust mechanisms?

zedy1
20-10-2005, 12:55 AM
ive got a price of £190 plus postage but need to buy a few kits. pls let me know whos interested :happy:

I-S
20-10-2005, 01:32 AM
Pete M - The best I can say is that I've never noticed it in operation. I've loaded several hundred kilos of stuff into the back of my wagon and the suspension doesn't sag down like a non-self levelled car does when heavily laden. Same on my dad's 740iL which is also self-levelled.

Kieran
20-10-2005, 07:15 AM
Does the self-levelling work quickly (would it react if you bounced the car up and down) or slowly, like the old headlamp adjust mechanisms?

The self-leveling headlamps on my GLS were quite slow and didn't auto adjust. There was a switch with three intermediate stop positions - the more 'dip' required, the more you rotated the switch.

adam_shaw
20-10-2005, 07:28 AM
I think you 'must' have self levelling if the little headlamp aim doo-dah is not fitted....

Or am I talking out of my ar$e?

Hmmm.... very tempted about HIDs - but I can only keep the car for another year, is it worth it....

A

Kieran
20-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Hmmm.... very tempted about HIDs - but I can only keep the car for another year, is it worth it....

A

Why's that? :inquisiti

adam_shaw
20-10-2005, 07:49 AM
Here we go,

You are allowed to keep a foreign registered car in Germany for six months or until the foreign registration expires, after this time the car must be registered in Germany.

Now, UK cars it's a maximum of one year... or the expiry of insurance, Tax, MOT etc. anything that makes the car illegal...

I could register the car in Germany, however the taxation is based heavily on emmisions, and this is measured by a TÜV station - at full throttle, none of this emissions at idle thing... which I imagine will work against the car...

When it gets nearer to crunch time I may well re-investigate, there must be loopholes, there are an awful lot of ex-squaddies drving around with english reg.

Oh.... and I want a Ralliart Airtrek Turbo (looked at one in the dealer here in sigapore :smitten: )

A