PDA

View Full Version : ATF Cooler

-LegnumVR4-
05-09-2003, 08:56 AM
Here is my ATF cooler I bought for the VR-4 before I started to do modifications. It's one of the largest ones I could find and one of the simple mods I've installed. All you need to do is connect the ATF cooler to the radiator with the supplied connections then run 2 pipes to the engines ATF pipes. After that it's just a matter of plugging off the radiators in/outlet ATF pipes.

When driving the car from a cold start the autos shifting is not smooth due to the oil being cold, after about a minute of driving the oil warms to the normal operating temp and shifts are smooth. Even after hard driving I do not notice any problems with autos shifting as the ATF cooler keeps the transmission oil at a consistent temp.

Here are some photos:

-LegnumVR4-
05-09-2003, 08:58 AM
Connected to the radiator:

-LegnumVR4-
05-09-2003, 09:02 AM
Here is the cooler installed in the car. Notice above the VR-4 badge a silver duct I make for cooler air to the airbox. It's just a piece of metal bent to suit the front grills holes in the top, this acts as a ram effect for more cool air.

hedonist
06-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Where'd you purchase the cooler from? Is there a model number available? Looks like I'll need one at some stage INSERT INTO post VALUES (more boost).What ATF do you use? Is it a Dex. 3? Thanks for the pics.

-LegnumVR4-
06-09-2003, 11:06 PM
The ATF oil I use is Mitsubishi's Diamond Spectrum SP3, u can fill it up on Dex.3 but Mitsubishi tell me it's a lower grade than the SP3. The coolers size is about 350mm x 170mm by 20mm deep INSERT INTO post VALUES (sorry I lost the part number) I bought the cooler from Butler AutoMart here in Christchurch. The cooler is priced about $150-200nz.

You can email them here:
info@butlerautomart.co.nz

Their phone number is:
03 389 8830

Have chat to Edward about an ATF cooler for a LegnumVR-4 the same as 'Rhys' one and quote the sizes, they should track down the model I have.

Rhys

hedonist
06-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Thanks 4 the info rhys