PDA

View Full Version : GTO ecu in a VR4?

matsondawson
17-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Is it possible that with a bit of jiggery pokery we could put the GTO ecu in our cars?

zentac
17-10-2005, 01:00 PM
question 1) Why would you want to?
question 2) Why would you want to?

Anything is possible given enough time/money but then you would need an aftermarket ECU as the fueling and ignition would be all wrong!

matsondawson
17-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Hmmm just a thought that it may be cheaper than after market. Still 6 cylinders and I assumed fuel maps were based on air flow, so differing engine size wouldn't matter. I know the GTO ecu can handle much higher boost the the vr4 one (18psi+) plus it can utilize a larger flow of fuel than the vr4.

Paul Beazer
17-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Isnt the GTO a 3ltr??
That would bugger the fuelling up a bit wouldnt it, if you put the ECU in a 2.5. Do the GTOs have mivecs also??

enigma
17-10-2005, 07:53 PM
In addition to zentacs question I have another

question 3) Why would you want to?

Its almost like saying shall I put a VR4 engine in an FTO!

Kieran
17-10-2005, 08:08 PM
/grr Why are we all asking 'Why would you want to?!?' That's really NOT important. I want MMCS in my car. And I've almost achieved my goal. Anything is possible.

Thinking about this, I think it's got potential, but I see a number of pitfalls.

As Paul's said it would be awkward to stop it over fuelling, depending on what injectors you are running.

The GTO wiring harness is probably different?

Firing order could be different?

Injector pulse timing... I imagine the 6G72 has different valve open/shut durations - don't want the injectors firing at the wrong point - same goes for ignition.

Probably, you could use a GTO ECU (if the pins matched) and then use a Super-ITC and Super-AFC or similar to keep things in line.... But then.... You're almost back to square 1.....

enigma
17-10-2005, 08:28 PM
/grr Why are we all asking 'Why would you want to?!?' That's really NOT important. I want MMCS in my car. And I've almost achieved my goal. Anything is possible.

I think perhaps you answered your own question.

Nick Mann
17-10-2005, 09:25 PM
I think perhaps you answered your own question.

PMSL!!

I can't help feeling that putting the GTO ECU in the VR4 is only worth spending time doing if the engine is going in too?!

valmes
18-10-2005, 02:33 AM
I can only see one reason for that.... OBDI (if you do find a first gen GTO ECU) !!! :)

matsondawson
18-10-2005, 02:36 AM
Ah yeh, I didn't think of the different valve open/shut durations. Agreed, it is a dumb idea :)