PDA

View Full Version : Normal wear on VR4 Recaros?

Caveman
18-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Guys,

Once again need some serious advice here.

Been to see a facelift 1999 VR4 with 25K miles and supposedly FSH. The car has been at the dealer for over 18 months and so has a little superficial rust on the underside and discs. All signs on the car are that it is genuine mileage, except that the drivers Recaro seat seems unusually worn for such low mileage and it is showing signs of discolouration due to wear. Now, this set off alarm signals, but it drove perfectly and in other respects seems to be a good car.

What do you guys think? Is it normal for the stock VR4 Recaro's to show signs of wear at 25K miles? If the car seems pukka in all other respects shall I just go for it anyway?

Heeeeeeelp!

Cheers,

Mart.

Roadrunner
18-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Guys,

Been to see a facelift 1999 VR4 with 25K miles and supposedly FSH. The car has been at the dealer for over 18 months and so has a little superficial rust on the underside and discs. All signs on the car are that it is genuine mileage, except that the drivers Recaro seat seems unusually worn for such low mileage and it is showing signs of discolouration due to wear. Now, this set off alarm signals, but it drove perfectly and in other respects seems to be a good car.

What do you guys think? Is it normal for the stock VR4 Recaro's to show signs of wear at 25K miles? If the car seems pukka in all other respects shall I just go for it anyway?

Heeeeeeelp!

Cheers,

Mart.
Hmm, my Recaros still looked good after 120k miles on my last car, so they wear really well. Maybe the owner of the car you're looking at wore jeans all the time, or was a huge guy and knackered the seat. If the rest of the car is OK, I wouldn't worry too much, you can always change the seat. I always reckon the brake pedal rubber is a good tell-tale of mileage - it's the one thing that no-one will ever change. At 25k miles, it shouldn't be showing much sign of wear.

marmel31
19-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Yeah the pedals and steering wheel are also areas to look at for signs of wear. They should still be in pretty good nick after such low mileage. What about the tyres, maybe still original depending on how the car has been driven?

andy43
19-10-2005, 09:27 AM
The recaros are german - seriously hard-wearing seats, apart from the bolsters going squishy - if the seats are worn at that mileage, could just have been used for short journeys - maybe a milkman had it last :-policema
Shouldn't really have any signs of wear after 25k :inquisiti
Tyres may be original as has been said? Bridgestones possibly?
If it's a uk car, any history should be verifiable - check it all out with mitsubishi. Good luck!

ritch_w
19-10-2005, 09:35 AM
ive noticed on the vr4 recaros and v6 sport seats use the same black perforated cloth which can wear and fade, my v6 sport was faded and worn when i got it a 16K - which i know was genuine (local mitsi MD and my dads mate)

could be short journeys / heavy clothing (jeans / heavy jackets???)

Nick Mann
19-10-2005, 09:35 AM
I think that the sun can bleach the black to look a bit brown in certain lights, but the fabric itself should wear well. I'd go with the advice given above.

Caveman
19-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Most of the wear is just in terms of discoloration, not actual 'wear'. The drivers seat seams to be going grey in areas. I was told though that the previous owner was a big lad! The brake pedal isnt worn, but the tyres have been changed.

Mart.

Wouter
19-10-2005, 09:55 AM
If it was a big lad, chances are that he ate in the car.... maybe a drinks spill...

Or maybe he messed his pants the first time he pressed down the Accelerator! :evil2:

WildCards
19-10-2005, 12:37 PM
If it was a big lad, chances are that he ate in the car.... maybe a drinks spill...

Sweeping statement don't you think Wooter, bless him, i'm sure he was just big boned /haz

Wouter
19-10-2005, 12:40 PM
bless him, i'm sure he was just big boned /haz

/haz

The question is how big boned?? Is there any damage to the suspention??

Jimmyb
19-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Guys,

Heeeeeeelp!

Cheers,

Mart.

Is it a Silver Legnum by any chance?

Just curious.

Paul Beazer
19-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Oi! Not all us big lads are pigs who eat in their cars!
Im 6'5" & 17stone, outside!! /pan

Spirit
19-10-2005, 10:41 PM
I certainly notice the black recaros show marks/dirt a lot more than previous cars I've had, not just because they're black but I think the material holds dirt more. I'm considering getting ours properly cleaned.....maybe it's worth getting this one done (or at least cleaning a patch of it) to see if it improves the appearance.