PDA

View Full Version : Built in Sat Nav/radio built in (Japense Language)

malcolmord123
20-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Hi All

I should be buying a VR4 98 Reg at the end of month. I've been told the console in the centre is the radio and Sat nav however its currently in the japenese language.

Any idea how I change it the English?

Thanks

Spirit
20-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Do a search for MMCS......and you will find lots of info on the subject..... :thumbsup:

Kieran
20-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Any idea how I change it the English?

Thanks

Hello there. As Pete says - search for 'MMCS' and you'll find a LOT of information. The bad news is that the Japanese language is hard-coded into the device on a ROM chip - and currently, nobody anywhere knows of any way to translate it.

It's not a mega-difficult system to navigate though, so don't panic :happy:

malcolmord123
20-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Thanks for your replies!

I had a quick search. Unfortunately one fo the websites that use to produce ISO's to be burnt onto CD's has stopped allowing downloads, AHAHA

Kieran
20-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Thanks for your replies!

I had a quick search. Unfortunately one fo the websites that use to produce ISO's to be burnt onto CD's has stopped allowing downloads, AHAHA

Yes, one of those was MMCS central.... Thing is, those ISOs are just the Maps that go in the unit in the boot and allow the Sat-Nav part to operate. But they're useless outside of Japan anyway!

You can still access the Radio, TV (if fitted), CD and aircon controls without a CD. /yes

johnh
21-10-2005, 02:04 AM
ive got the MMCS system in my car and im quite happy with it, the only things im goign to attempt to modify is the speed sensor that puts the system into nav mode, and trying to get the TV reception changed from NTSC to PAL.

not sure how easy these will be, but if they were done, would make it a cool sytem, even if its in Jap

bradc
21-10-2005, 06:12 AM
johnh, I have a dvd player in my car that works fine, do you know of any devices that will let the car stay in the tv mode

Funkstar
21-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Quote: You can still access the Radio, TV (if fitted), CD and aircon controls without a CD

Kieran, you say "if fitted". Isn't the TV option standard if they have the big MMCS screen thingy?

Reason I ask is that all mine does when I press TV is change too another blue screen with the word "TV" followed by some more Japanese gibberish.

I thought it would at least pick up some fuzz!!

Is there something else I would need to do other than convert from NTSC to PAL to get the tv working?

Kieran
21-10-2005, 11:10 PM
TV was optional as far as I can tell - Reason I say this is because the VX doesn't have the TV tuner, even though it's got the button for it on the MMCS head unit.

The "TV" message, as far as I can tell, translates as "TV module is not installed or not operating correctly". I make this assumption on the basis that the same error appears on VX (not present), and on Derek's car (Tuner there, but wiring snipped because it doesn't work in the uk).

Funkstar
22-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Ahh I see.
Mine has no tuner as in a Knob of any kind. I thought it would tune in like when you tune in your radio, as it also says CH for channel on the radio frequency tuner.
Is this the right one?

johnh
23-10-2005, 04:09 AM
Brad, there was a device that keiran mentioned and even provided a link to of a japense auction website that he said would cut the speed signal to MMCS letting it stay in normal mode, ie not changing automatically when you start driving.
Thats all i know so far, Im investigating more, im going to get this japense guy i know to look at the site more and see what he says, maybe even try purchase one.
Also, With yuor DVD player, where did you connect it? on the box in the boot on the Video inputs? is it just standard RCA cable?

Funkstar, On my MMCS if i press TV it comes up all fuzzy in the background with controls in the foreground on the screen. And yes, << CH >> is the button for tuning on mine.

hope this helps.

bradc
23-10-2005, 05:48 AM
Yeah I know, the problem with buying that is the translation, payment, shipping etc. It is easier if you know someone that can speak japanese or who can deal with them. If you are going to order one, count me in for ordering one too.

I connected my dvd player to the tvtuner in the back, the inputs are a smaller size than rca, I'm not sure what they are called, they are the standard sized jack for audio on a computer. I just used a pair of speaker cables to connect up the video and sound.

Funkstar
23-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Cheers johnh. Mine cant have been connected properly. Sorry to have hijacked the post folks.