PDA

View Full Version : Mad car tinkering

enigma
21-10-2005, 10:06 AM
I have ordered some bits for the Skoda and I am planning on trying to start the engine in the near future.

If I do a load of prep work would anyone be interested in coming over for the weekend to get the brutes heart beating?

Accomodation and catering available for a small number of guests ;)

Kieran
21-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Which weekend Dave?

But provisionally..... /wave

Wouter
21-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi Dave,

I am more than happy to lend my assistance!! I would love to see that Skoda go!!

Just say when! :thumbsup:

P.S First Weekend in Nov is a no go for me!

enigma
21-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Its likely to be a few weeks off yet while I source the final bits and do a little bit of garage prep just in case the weather is poor!

End of Nov beginning of Dec probably

Nick Mann
21-10-2005, 01:41 PM
/Wyhy

But not 26th Nov - I am trying for permission to wear my car out at Oulton Park! /Steeringw

richy rich
21-10-2005, 06:34 PM
ill help as well dave.
my bro lives in notts so i can stay there for a night. :thumbsup:

enigma
21-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Cool, looks like I will need a plan and to be organisedand stuff!

richy rich
21-10-2005, 07:02 PM
not 26th nov for me allso,
not taking car on track but going to have a look c

Big Ian
21-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Dave have you still got the fotage of you and "the beast" (from your web-site).... :thumbsup: can't wait to see/hear how you get on with it /yes

GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

zentac
22-10-2005, 08:03 AM
give me a shout I may be able to make it.

Rally205
24-10-2005, 03:41 PM
/Hmmm /Steeringw /yes

enigma
27-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Well my bits have started arriving :evil2:

Nick Mann
27-10-2005, 08:15 PM
:afro:

richy rich
27-10-2005, 09:01 PM
what bit is that dave.
looks nice. :thumbsup:

Kieran
27-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Blimey, that's one big mutha of a starter motor!! Can you order another? I think that would just about fit in Pap-Pap's engine bay!!! :rolleyes4 :inquisiti

enigma
27-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Its not as big as the original.....but it looks sexy!

Rich, its a starter motor! ;)

if you want to see the Skoda in all its glory with full photo history

See here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.akers/skoda.htm)

richy rich
27-10-2005, 10:06 PM
i thought it was dave :embarasse
just looked at your engine biuld it is looking /JawDroppi

enigma
01-11-2005, 04:53 PM
My preliminary preparations are well under way! The Mallory dual point distributor and fookon mahoosive coil have been attached and I can now make sparks :evil2:

All I need now is to be able to supply fuel to the carbs and I am laughing! /Hmmm

Well, there are one or two minor hiccups:

the dustbin sized carbs need freshening up

and:

The engine needs unseizing! I am sure its nothing major, but the starter just stalls /help may need a breaker bar just to ease it from its resting place, in the meantime plenty of lubrication is being applied. :thumbsup:

richy rich
01-11-2005, 06:11 PM
sounds like progress
when have you planned the mad car tinkering
if any thing left to do.

Wouter
01-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Great stuff Dave!! :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see that thing go!!

Would you be needing a test Pilot??

richy rich
01-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Would you be needing a test Pilot??
what you trying to say /Hmmm

enigma
04-11-2005, 06:19 PM
OK. so now the sump is full of oil and I have made my drill smoke using it to pump oil around the engine :embarasse A few more days of oiling and fettling and I am hoping she will free herself :inquisiti

A couple of jobs I have had to do are to make a blanking plate for the mechanical fuel pump (I have 2 electric race pumps) and to make a remote oil filter adapter :thumbsup:

Both jobs have been done with some 8mm aliminium plate I had lying around!

Fingers toes and testicles crossed I dont have to strip the engine down to free it off!

Big Ian
04-11-2005, 06:57 PM
DAM! wish i could remember the name of the fluid we got to free the engine in my mate's 1935 Citreon...lay for over 10yrs without being started, it was solid and all we done was pour it in the top of the cylinder's left it over night and "Hey Presto" with a good tug on the crank handle it freed off, worked the new oil in by hand (using the crank handle) new plug's, fresh battery and got it started after a few turn's (and some fuel in the carb) ...£90 a ltr and you only need a cap full for each bore
:embarasse ended up stripping it down anyway :inquisiti as it had a few leaky gasket's

:thumbsup: Good luck Dave..... :drummer:

enigma
04-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Everything was as new when it was assembled.......shouldn't take much! The think is the mighty V8 is quite hard to crank over even without any compression!

Kieran
05-11-2005, 01:29 AM
A bit of diesel in Pap-Pap's bores did the trick for me...

(go on, someone tell me how wrong this was /pan )

enigma
05-11-2005, 08:33 AM
A bit of diesel in Pap-Pap's bores did the trick for me...

(go on, someone tell me how wrong this was /pan )

How long did you let it soak?

Kieran
05-11-2005, 01:46 PM
How long did you let it soak?

Overnight - it wasn't actually fully siezed, it just felt very stiff, and I didn't want to fracture a piston ring. One soaking later, then drain and refill the sump and also pour a bit of oil down the bores once it was free so that they didn't grind away and all seemed well.

Then I snapped my rocker arms!! /pan /grr /wall

psbarham
05-11-2005, 02:19 PM
we used to use parafin (caterpillar recomended it :inquisiti ) its slightly abrasive so once you turn it over it acts as an abrasive to clean up the bores , then wash it out with some petrol and hey presto :thumbsup:

enigma
06-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Had a mishap whilst turning the oil pump.........lifted my drill off the 3/8" ratchet extension I had poked down the distributor hole and the sockeket lifted off the oil pump drive.

I then watched in slow motion as my 3/8", 12" long ratchet extension fell trough, past the camshaft and in to the sump.......

DOH

enigma
03-12-2005, 05:28 PM
A mate of mine is up for the weekend, today we pulled the engine kicking and screaming from the Skoda. We then set about removing the sump to retrieve my extension bar. Whilst the sump was off I noticed a problem! The crank was touching the oil pump :embarasse That may be why I couldn't turn the engine over.

Some tickling with a grinder later and the engine was reassembled. It is now possible to turn the engine over by hand :thumbsup:

Tomorrow we will mainly be making a stand for it, and purchasing a few goodies to aid its starting /Steeringw

Nick Mann
03-12-2005, 05:55 PM
:thumbsup:

So when I hear the ground rumbling in the afternoon, I'll know that Nottingham is experiencing a BDA earthquake?!?!

enigma
04-12-2005, 08:51 PM
So the engine is now out of the Skoda and has found a home on a purpose modified stand. I will soon be making a switch panel for it

Fuel Pump switch
Ignition switch
Big Red Start button
Emergency stop button
and maybe a revcounter :inquisiti

I will also mount the fuel pumps and a small fuel tank to the stand.

The carbs need refurbing but the engine turns over quite freely now :smug:

Here it is, cant wait to crank it over!

enigma
05-12-2005, 05:44 PM
:evil2:

Connected the starter to the Legnum battery this evening.................

It turns :thumbsup:

So now what I propose is setting the valve lash, connecting the distributor back up, putting all the plugs in, and spraying fuel in to the inlet with a garden spray to see what happens :leer:

I reckon a couple of hours and I can have flames out of this monster! :smug:

enigma
05-12-2005, 07:07 PM
OK a short video from my phone in the dark of the engine rotating!

richy rich
05-12-2005, 07:10 PM
not working on my comp dave is it just me

enigma
05-12-2005, 07:12 PM
not working on my comp dave is it just me

You need something that will play 3gp files!

I will get a 'proper' video tomorrow!

richy rich
05-12-2005, 07:14 PM
ok....

enigma
06-12-2005, 06:17 PM
This better??

Cranking Slowly (http://www.babybda.co.uk/images/vr4/V8_0001.wmv)

richy rich
06-12-2005, 06:25 PM
looking good dave

Kieran
06-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Still a bit reluctant, ain't it? More bore soaking to do I take it?

enigma
06-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Still a bit reluctant, ain't it? More bore soaking to do I take it?

Its not reluctant at all, I am trying to crank the starter on quite inadequate wire! /pan

About burnt my hand unclipping it from my battery! /help

All the plugs are in as well, and the valves are not set to open so there is probably a fair amount of compression going on!

enigma
08-12-2005, 08:49 PM
OK, so the valves are set up, the ignition is set at TDC, the engine is back together, we are ready to rock and roll! :drummer:

Thing is I have just stood in the garage for 5 mins looking at the engine

Should I?

Shouldn't I?

Yeah I will!

No I can wait until tomorrow!

No I cant!

Yes I can!

It wont be that loud!

Stupid ass, of course it will!

Oh it wont hurt anyone!

No but you will be murdered!

So there you have it, I am waiting until tomorrow and a more sociable hour! But oh how I want to go crank it now!

richy rich
08-12-2005, 08:58 PM
go for it dave if its to load tun it of (or rev it :evil2: )

richy rich
08-12-2005, 08:59 PM
also might just hear it stoke

enigma
08-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Nah, it WILL make the fireworks sound silly!

richy rich
08-12-2005, 09:11 PM
/haz

psbarham
08-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Nah, it WILL make the fireworks sound silly!
no headers i take it ? Mmmmmmmm unsilenced V8 , ooh sorry i need a private moment :embarasse

enigma
09-12-2005, 07:48 PM
/Grrr /duh :bigcry: /Hissy :furious3:

Wodjno
09-12-2005, 07:51 PM
/Grrr /duh :bigcry: /Hissy :furious3:

Please Tell Dave.. ?? What you forgot :inquisiti

psbarham
09-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Please Tell Dave.. ?? What you forgot :inquisiti
................to sweep up all the scrapnel off the drive after it exploded in a cloud of cogs and springs , and now he's got a puncture in the legnum , or aren't i close ? /Hmmm

enigma
09-12-2005, 08:11 PM
It turnsover too slowly to start :(

I think I might have to get some lighter grade oil in to it to lube it up properly.

Spent a couple of hours cranking and waiting for the battery to charge and cranking.

Nothing

Plenty of fuel (in a lomanade bottle ;))
Sparking just fine

It just wont come to life :embarasse

Kieran
09-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Sure it's just 'stiff' and something's not out? Is the engine any more 'Free' with all the plugs out (ie, no compression)? if it is, might be worth spinning plugless for a bit to get some oil pressure up and around everything?

enigma
09-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Sure it's just 'stiff' and something's not out? Is the engine any more 'Free' with all the plugs out (ie, no compression)? if it is, might be worth spinning plugless for a bit to get some oil pressure up and around everything?

I suspect that the oil pump is causing the problem and that an oilway is not as free as it should be. I spun the oil pump a few weeks ago and my drill started smoking and stalled............I am hoping lighter oil will have less resistance and may enable me to fire it up build up some real pressure and clear the blockage.

Kieran
09-12-2005, 10:57 PM
If there's something blocking it and you do get it started, won't whatever it is get lodged somewhere else..... Wouldn't want it landing in a bearing shell or something? :inquisiti

amsoil
10-12-2005, 12:12 AM
Haven't got the dissy 180degs out have you? thought it would have at least coughed as it went over TDC. Hope you havent got 60 weight or similar in it you might burn out the starter. Fingers crossed

Regards Don

enigma
10-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Haven't got the dissy 180degs out have you? thought it would have at least coughed as it went over TDC. Hope you havent got 60 weight or similar in it you might burn out the starter. Fingers crossed

Regards Don

Got 20w40 in it, I will try some super thin stuff later. /yes

enigma
10-12-2005, 09:56 AM
If there's something blocking it and you do get it started, won't whatever it is get lodged somewhere else..... Wouldn't want it landing in a bearing shell or something? :inquisiti

Whatever it is, it is not solid in the true sense of the word. It is likely to be thick assembly lube that has been sat for a couple of years. Once warm it will break down and disperse. Maybe.

enigma
10-12-2005, 10:44 AM
OK, I have disconnected the oil pump drive and its no better /pan

So the next step is to replace the jump lead style power cables with proper short purpose made cables and use an 800 Cranking Amp battery rather than the knackered 300 Amp one on the Legnum or the weedy 260 Amp one on the Punto :(

/Hmmm

psbarham
10-12-2005, 10:58 AM
OK, I have disconnected the oil pump drive and its no better /pan

So the next step is to replace the jump lead style power cables with proper short purpose made cables and use an 800 Cranking Amp battery rather than the knackered 300 Amp one on the Legnum or the weedy 260 Amp one on the Punto :(

/Hmmm
i think you just found the problem yourself /pan , with 300 amps and jumpleads i'm suprised it turned at all . oh well hope you get some joy out of it later, i can garentee that just as you go to start it toby will just have nodded off on his afternoon nap. :baby: :zzz: :bigcry: , DAVE !!! what did you do that for /pan :embarasse /grr /wall

enigma
10-12-2005, 12:10 PM
650 CCA battery purchased along with some suitable starter leads :evil2:

psbarham
10-12-2005, 12:22 PM
time for vrroooom vrrooom then :thumbsup: just a thought the starter isn't to tight on the flywheel is it? might be worth a check , i had that on a volvo artic some years ago , volvo thought it would be a good idea to add an extra tooth to the flywheel in the middle of the year , this had the lovely :rolleyes4 effect of making the flywheel slightly bigger ( 1 ish mm) and that of course made it to tight on the starter , volvo tried to sell us a new starter , i said no , they then tried to sell us a new flywheel i swore at them , the cure drill the bottom 2 holes out a bit , job sorted :thumbsup:

enigma
10-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Cranks over lovely now - just got to put the dizzy back on!

Soon :thumbsup:

enigma
10-12-2005, 02:49 PM

Start (http://www.babybda.co.uk/images/vr4/Start.wmv)

Coolio!

Wodjno
10-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Looking good Dave ... :thumbsup:

PS ... Have you recently been watching the Biathalon on TV /Hmmm :d

enigma
10-12-2005, 05:54 PM
I did have it running for about 5 seconds, but I didn't get it on tape as I was a bit excited! /pan

There is always tomorrow!

amsoil
11-12-2005, 12:46 AM
Good Man!

enigma
11-12-2005, 01:12 PM
OK, so I have had a little play today and notwithstanding the fact that the engine doesn't have a working fuel system (carb is US and I have no fuel pump) I think I have done rather well :evil2:

Running (http://www.babybda.co.uk/images/vr4/Running1.wmv)

So now to see if I can rev it a little........

Revving (http://www.babybda.co.uk/images/vr4/Running2.wmv)

I think my timing is out a little as I keep getting cool inlet backfires!

Backfire (http://www.babybda.co.uk/images/vr4/Running3.wmv)

enigma
13-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Carb rebuild kits have arrived, along with 12 cans of carb cleaner! :evil2:

enigma
15-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Stripped one of the carbs down last night and it was suprisingly easy - so now I have the main casing filled with carb cleaner, the air horn sat on the bench and all the internals in an egg fried rice container swimming in carb cleaner.

All I have to do now is clean all the tubes out and get the toothbrush ready for some scrubbing!

I am hoping that reassembly is as easy as stripping down :inquisiti

Could have it back up and running by the weekend :thumbsup:

Then I just need to wait for my mate to send the other one back and we are rocking and rolling!

Anyone got any suggestions for a fuel tank? I need 2 lagreish oultlets and a breather. I was going to get a Jerry Can and make some BDA mods - or should I just buy an aluminium racing cell? /Hmmm

Wouter
15-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Go for the racing cell!! You can always use it for your next project!

Wodjno
15-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Go for the racing cell!! You can always use it for your next project!

/yes