PDA

View Full Version : removal / refit gear box

richy rich
22-10-2005, 05:57 PM
/help OK i need to change tc seal on my car.
if i can get the seal before next weekend I'm going to have a go my self.
is there any body out there that wants to have a go at it with me.
i will also need some tools if i cant scrounge them ill have to buy the
i will also try and do a write up on it so others can have a go at it as
it seems to be a common problem.
tool list
1 socket set(yes) must be a good one and a long bar
2 axle stands(yes)3 is best. two for car 1 for prop shaft
3 Jack(yes)one that will lift high the 1.5 tone one i bought would have done but wouters 3t was better
4 screw drivers(yes)
5 spanners(yes)mainly 14, 17, 19, and u will need a 7/8
6 ball joint splitter(yes)don't need
7 pry bar(yes if bern comes up)two decent ones is best but used 2 crow bars it done the job.
8 engine lifter or some thing to hold engine up.(maybe rope over joust in lockup)
9 transmission jack or some thing to hold trans in place pos axle stand.(pos)jack used for this and when of jack it went on to my car creeper
10 torque wrench(yes)
there will be tea food and beer :chugchug: if any body wants to stop over for sat night (only couple of spare beds thou.)

t.c seal number MD707575

richy rich
22-10-2005, 06:00 PM
also anybody have part number for torque converter seal.

bernmc
22-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Richy m'boy, you're looking at 7 hours to get that thing in and out, even if you know what you're doing, and I understand it's a bit of a bugger!

I may be able to help - depends on the wife letting me out to play after working the last two w/ends!

I have jack/axel stands/sockets/pry bar.

Make plans for alternative transport the following week though...!

I'll speak to the boss at some point if it looks like you're going to have enough people. Mo is a good man to speak to - he'll be able to tell you of any pitfalls...

richy rich
22-10-2005, 08:12 PM
tar bern i might go and c mo 2morrow he says it is an easy job so does derrick.
your tools would be a god send , plus your time if you can. :thumbsup:

Jimbo
22-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Being as I'm so close then it'd be rude to not turn up and lend moral support - depends on work commitments though, I might be "at it" all next weekend after taking the last few days off.

Not sure I'd be much help teknic-amilly, but I'm pretty good at eating bacon butties and pointing at things :thumbsup:

Actually no....I could be like the mechanic's caddy passing over tools and things! Oh whatever...I'm sure you could find a use for me /pan

SGHOM
22-10-2005, 11:19 PM
he says it is an easy job so does derrick.
:

I didn't say it was an easy job !! replacing the seal is, getting the box in & out is another story !! /yes :rolleyes4 /help /help

Kieran
22-10-2005, 11:27 PM
We've got friends coming over (from Stoke, funnily enough!) next weekend, so I'll have to give it a miss :embarasse

richy rich
23-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Being as I'm so close then it'd be rude to not turn up and lend moral support - depends on work commitments though, I might be "at it" all next weekend after taking the last few days off.

Not sure I'd be much help teknic-amilly, but I'm pretty good at eating bacon butties and pointing at things :thumbsup:

Actually no....I could be like the mechanic's caddy passing over tools and things! Oh whatever...I'm sure you could find a use for me /pan
tar jimbo any help will be a plus :thumbsup:

richy rich
23-10-2005, 12:12 AM
I didn't say it was an easy job !! replacing the seal is, getting the box in & out is another story !! /yes :rolleyes4 /help /help

It's a job you could do yourself. fitting a new box means removing the old one............. obviously ! & replacing the torque seal takes seconds, literally !
If the box is fine, just spend a tenner on the seal.
SORRY Derrick read this wrong. :embarasse

richy rich
23-10-2005, 01:49 PM
We've got friends coming over (from Stoke, funnily enough!) next weekend, so I'll have to give it a miss :embarasse
no prob k

richy rich
24-10-2005, 05:51 PM
OK ordered my seals today, Ive ordered all the seals to go on end of the shaft of gear box just in case £35.
cleared out lockup ready, ordered AFT and tools.
ordered seals from holdcroft Mitzi was quite surprised at the good response. :thumbsup:
i also phone xtreme first thing this morning and no reply yet. :embarasse

SGHOM
24-10-2005, 05:58 PM
If I can make it down I will. we need to do a full & comprehensive write up & piccy taking ! /yes
If it can be done relativley painlessly, then we can save other members £600 !! :rolleyes4

andy43
24-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Barry, Wouter and Zedy had to take the engine out to get the manual box back on after doing the clutch - here's hoping the autobox is a touch easier :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4

SGHOM
24-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Barry, Wouter and Zedy had to take the engine out to get the manual box back on after doing the clutch - here's hoping the autobox is a touch easier :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4
They didn't take my engine out, but did question the parentage of my car ?? /yes /grr /grr /pan

richy rich
24-10-2005, 06:07 PM
If I can make it down I will. we need to do a full & comprehensive write up & piccy taking ! /yes
If it can be done relativley painlessly, then we can save other members £600 !! :rolleyes4
thanks Derek it will be great if you can get down. :thumbsup:
and i totally agree about a write up and pics. :thumbsup:
so far
£35 for seals.
£30 10L of atf
£125 for tools
so I'm up on tools as well.
so far me, my sister-in-laws boyfriend, pos bern pos Derek.

richy rich
24-10-2005, 06:12 PM
i think if i remember rightly they had to do this because barry was changing his clutch for a uprated clutch.

bernmc
25-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Rich, may not be able to do this w/end now... I'll let you know as soon as I can confirm. You're welcome to borrow any tools needed though. Hopefully I can still make it.

Wouter
25-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Zedy and I took a auto box and engine out of a V6 last night!! it took 2 hours!

Admitatly we had the help of an angle grinder and lots of disks :evil2:

The Auto box weighs more than the manual, but if all you are doing is replacing a seal, then it should be easy enough. You won't even need to drop the engine like Barry, Zedy and I needed to.

If you want help send me your address! :thumbsup:

richy rich
25-10-2005, 06:09 PM

The Auto box weighs more than the manual, but if all you are doing is replacing a seal, then it should be easy enough. You won't even need to drop the engine like Barry, Zedy and I needed to.

tar wouter ive pmed u

richy rich
25-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Rich, may not be able to do this w/end now... I'll let you know as soon as I can confirm. You're welcome to borrow any tools needed though. Hopefully I can still make it.
ok bern if you cant make it no prob
the only thing i havent got now is pry bar i hope to get that sorted.

richy rich
25-10-2005, 06:14 PM
im so supprised with holdcroft mitsi seals orderd yesterday got phone call 10.30 to day seals are in.
now in my hand. :thumbsup:

richy rich
26-10-2005, 06:35 PM

wouter y did mo have to use an angle grinder was it just for ease.

Wouter
27-10-2005, 07:48 AM
wouter y did mo have to use an angle grinder was it just for ease.

The reason we used an angel Grinder is that the car was going to be "recycled" soon anyway and we were in a hurry to get the engine and gearbox out.

Oh... and we did not have a engine hoist handy, so we dropped the engine and then cut a hole in the front so that we could drag the engine out! :evil2:

It is fun watching Mo work! No messing about at all!!

Jimbo
27-10-2005, 09:18 AM
angel Grinder

Now that I'd like to see /lol

Reminds me of my bean adjusters...oh happy days.

Sorry, btt. :embarasse

richy rich
27-10-2005, 02:52 PM
The reason we used an angel Grinder is that the car was going to be "recycled" soon anyway and we were in a hurry to get the engine and gearbox out.

Oh... and we did not have a engine hoist handy, so we dropped the engine and then cut a hole in the front so that we could drag the engine out! :evil2:

It is fun watching Mo work! No messing about at all!!
i thought that would be the reason. :thumbsup:
good fun hay :rolleyes4

richy rich
27-10-2005, 09:43 PM
wife and i have now got rid of kids or sat night.
so any of you coming to mine sat can have a :chugchug: on me and stop at mine sat night if you like wouter your missis can come as well if she would like to.
we have two single beds free and a double air bed that can go on front room floor.

richy rich
27-10-2005, 10:34 PM
pics of seals

richy rich
28-10-2005, 06:12 PM
OK Ive made a small start.
i think Ive got enough room to do the job.
battery removed.
air intake removed.
near side wheel of.
all plastic trim around wheal arch removed.
support brace loosened
under tray not on car so don't have that to do.
scrounged engine lifter.

richy rich
28-10-2005, 08:35 PM
i don't no if you can see it in 5th pic Ive put Axel stands under the car with them situated on the main Chase (the two main box looking sections along the Chase).
then i read that the Axel stand must be put in the same place as you would jack the car with the cars own jack.
Ive moved them how
Q will this have damaged the Chase i don't think i have, im just after reassurance on this issue.

psbarham
28-10-2005, 08:49 PM
i don't no if you can see it in 5th pic Ive put Axel stands under the car with them situated on the main Chase (the two main box looking sections along the Chase).
then i read that the Axel stand must be put in the same place as you would jack the car with the cars own jack.
Ive moved them how
Q will this have damaged the Chase i don't think i have, im just after reassurance on this issue.
no :thumbsup:

richy rich
28-10-2005, 08:52 PM
tar Paul i can sleep better tonight now not that i will get a lot of sleep until this job is done.

psbarham
28-10-2005, 09:02 PM
tar Paul i can sleep better tonight now not that i will get a lot of sleep until this job is done.
oh sod it if it means you are going to sleep well then , oh damn you've twisted the chassis , a call to mo should get you a new one for 3 k :evil2:

richy rich
28-10-2005, 09:04 PM
oh sod it if it means you are going to sleep well then , oh damn you've twisted the chassis , a call to mo should get you a new one for 3 k :evil2:
/haz

zedy1
28-10-2005, 09:08 PM
the box shouldave been out by now, ive got to take one out and put one in to this weekend so we got a bit of competion :evil2:

richy rich
28-10-2005, 09:11 PM
hands up mo you win i now how you take a box out. :embarasse
angle grinder :evil2:

psbarham
28-10-2005, 09:34 PM
the box shouldave been out by now, ive got to take one out and put one in to this weekend so we got a bit of competion :evil2:
oh come on Mo , he's a bleeding plumber , he's do 20 mins work on the car and 4 hrs drinking tea and mumbling 'ooh this is gonna cost ya'

richy rich
28-10-2005, 09:42 PM
oh come on Mo , he's a bleeding plumber , he's do 20 mins work on the car and 4 hrs drinking tea and mumbling 'ooh this is gonna cost ya'
only 4 hrs

psbarham
28-10-2005, 09:49 PM
only 4 hrs
well its friday afternoon and you finished early

richy rich
28-10-2005, 09:52 PM
well its friday afternoon and you finished early
o sh*t you court me out i was going to invoice for 6hrs

zedy1
28-10-2005, 10:09 PM
rich give us a call pls and have a pen and paper handy

SGHOM
28-10-2005, 10:17 PM
cant make It tomorrow Rich. :embarasse got to work .
but If you still need a hand sunday, I may be free in the morning. /yes

richy rich
28-10-2005, 10:17 PM
rich give us a call pls and have a pen and paper handy
going to answer phone mo

richy rich
28-10-2005, 10:18 PM
cant make It tomorrow Rich. :embarasse got to work .
but If you still need a hand sunday, I may be free in the morning. /yes
ok derick no prob

richy rich
29-10-2005, 08:39 PM
ok short version to day wouter turned up about 9.30 :thumbsup:
so we started, out comes what seems to be everything.
rad out
turbo pipes out
strut brace out
all obstructions out on top of gear box
atf filter aquired from mitsy holdcroft
drive shafts out
xorst off
prop shaft off
transfer box out
gear box out
seal replaced
gear box back in.
to be finished tomorrow

bernmc
29-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Hope you've taken pics! Sorry I couldn't make it in the end :(

richy rich
29-10-2005, 09:41 PM
sorry not many pics its been a sod to do and wouter works so fast

Wouter
29-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Hehe the short version!! my rear end!!

I has been a very interesting day!

It has been non-stop graft, all for a really small sh!tty seal!! :rifle:

The Hard part is over with!! Tomorrow is all about replacing pipes and cables.... and hoping we don't have to many bolts left over! :rolleyes4

Then I'll let Rich scare on those nice country roads! /Steeringw :thumbsup:

Wouter
29-10-2005, 09:53 PM
sorry not many pics its been a sod to do and wouter works so fast

Well you wanted it all done this weekend!! :smug:

richy rich
29-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Well you wanted it all done this weekend!! :smug:
sorry wouter didn't mean it to sound like you've read it.
no prob my main aim is to get it done,
good to see that you got home OK c u tomorrow.
as it was only wouter , my sister in laws feller and myself we've not had time for pics and how to.

zedy1
29-10-2005, 10:03 PM
done mine :evil2: ,just need to figure out why its not riunning right :embarasse

richy rich
29-10-2005, 10:05 PM
done mine :evil2: ,just need to figure out why its not riunning right :embarasse
beat us :embarasse
but thanks for being on the end of phone :thumbsup:

richy rich
30-10-2005, 09:16 PM
many many thanks to wouter and mo car is now done and on road,
got to go out will post more later as ive got birthday party to go to.

richy rich
31-10-2005, 08:39 AM
OK just looked under car and i have a tiny bit of atf on floor so I'm of to steam clean
the box as when we fitted it and filed it, we lost a bit of atf so im hoping it is just that.

richy rich
31-10-2005, 10:32 AM
few more pics

richy rich
31-10-2005, 06:55 PM
OK i steam cleaned the engine bay and under the car.
:bananadan /Banana /GJ :thumbsup: no leeeeeeeeeks.

After a fast test drive last night wouter and i found the car feeling very
bad then wouter said o didn't do some thing (wheal nuts)sh*t.
got it back to my lockup tightened nuts up sorted :thumbsup:
the gears are still a bit lumpy in drive but fine in tip not shore if this is because the ecu is relearning.

total cost
£26 for atf filter
£12 for seal
£30 for atf
£?? for coolant (this will be free to me my mates will sort that for me later this week.)
wd40
copperease
so total £68 :thumbsup:

richy rich
31-10-2005, 08:19 PM
i thought this thread would be more popular or am i just getting paranoid no one loves me /haz

enigma
31-10-2005, 08:45 PM
I'll gve you £100 to do mine if it ever needs it /yes

richy rich
31-10-2005, 08:47 PM
no prob Dave it was good that it was only the tc seal that was gone other wise it would of bean a case of sending box away.

Kieran
31-10-2005, 09:16 PM
You might be invited to KieranCorp Towers soon Richy..... :inquisiti :undecided :uhoh2:

richy rich
31-10-2005, 09:18 PM
You might be invited to KieranCorp Towers soon Richy..... :inquisiti :undecided :uhoh2:
no prob

Kieran
31-10-2005, 09:20 PM
no prob

:thumbsup: :chugchug:

I shall let you know if and when :uhoh2: .....

richy rich
31-10-2005, 10:00 PM
so do you have a prob kieran

Kieran
31-10-2005, 11:36 PM
so do you have a prob kieran

Erm... Possibly!! /help

On Saturday, PSB & I noticed a few drips around the area where the fluid drips when the seal has busted - and the gearbox was doing Austin Metro impressions this morning - Checked the level and with a hot box, the reading was still showing on the 'cold' marks.... :inquisiti

Half a litre of ATF later and all is well, but I feel a steam clean and frequent monitoring of the dipstick is in order for the next week or so!! :inquisiti

(If Ariadne was any other car, it would have been scrapped by now - but I'd sooner put up with the train than have to sell her!! /yes /yes )

richy rich
01-11-2005, 08:17 AM
kieran
i do hope for your sake you don't have a prob.
do you get atf on the underside of the car and on tailgate after long drives,
and a smell of burning atf after a quick blast and smock.

psbarham
01-11-2005, 06:55 PM
(If Ariadne was any other car), don't you mean the bishop ? or maybe Christine after the Steven king film ? any way go and hit the bloody thing at least then you can say you bashed the bishop on the drive , OK OK I'm going :embarasse

richy rich
05-11-2005, 12:31 PM
OK Ive had a few small prob with my box.
1 when going down one particular road its down hill just after a speed hump
the car jumped a bit.
2 gear changes a bit funny cant explain it well
3 slight smell of atf burning (come to the conclusion only oil that spilt on box).

Ive just checked atf i had to much in it drained 1/2l of.

all working fine now, even on hill descent on a hill near me it it is a 15% down hill normally its in 4th and feels like its running away, today went in to 4th then after 2-3 sec went in to 3rd and held the car down the hill. :thumbsup:
also prob 1&2 gone. :thumbsup:

SGHOM
05-11-2005, 12:37 PM
All good news Rich. :thumbsup: It will take a little time to settle down.... mine did.

richy rich
05-11-2005, 12:41 PM
yes i also think a reset of ecu might be in order ,as when it was finished wouter & i took it for a good ragging. :thumbsup: /Steeringw :evil2:

richy rich
05-11-2005, 12:42 PM
how do i do a write up for this and put it in to the members only section.

Kieran
05-11-2005, 01:43 PM
how do i do a write up for this and put it in to the members only section.

If it's any easier, create a post in the Members section as you would usually, then one of us lot can tidy it up and chuck it in the articles area :thumbsup:

richy rich
05-11-2005, 01:57 PM
ok tar k :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
07-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Rich - did the gearbox come out from underneath? How high did you have to lift the car?

I am going to try and start mine tonight.

richy rich
07-11-2005, 03:42 PM
nick ive pmed my number phone me

richy rich
07-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Rich - did the gearbox come out from underneath? How high did you have to lift the car?

yes it did.
you will knead to be of the ground enough to be able to get under to take the transfer box, exhaust & prop
Take both wheels of the gear box will come out through the near side wheal arch.
i will try and do a proper right up for you.

SGHOM
07-11-2005, 04:27 PM

Have you ordered a torque seal Nick ?? a must replacement, wether it's a repair or replacement box. /yes

richy rich
07-11-2005, 04:30 PM
torque seal MD707575 and filter if there is 1 on box

MunkyWrench
04-01-2006, 02:45 PM
great thread. did a write up get done? anyone done any serious work on a manual or any other drivetrain work? i've seen a 96 legnum vr4 advertised with an evo5 gearbox - i thought they didnt fit. i'd be interested if anyone knows about the evo's ayc units fitting.

Wouter
04-01-2006, 02:48 PM
great thread. did a write up get done? anyone done any serious work on a manual or any other drivetrain work? i've seen a 96 legnum vr4 advertised with an evo5 gearbox - i thought they didnt fit. i'd be interested if anyone knows about the evo's ayc units fitting.

The VR4 has it's own AYC unit (Well most of them) so no need to fit a Evo 5 one.

I think the manual gearbox on a VR4 is the Evo 5 or 6 box with a different Bellhousing.

Nick Mann
04-01-2006, 03:01 PM
There is a very good write up in the members articles section. Lots of pictures and a Haynes Style guide.

I've not seen any proof about evo gearboxes or ayc units fitting, but they are definitely similar.

MunkyWrench
17-02-2006, 11:08 AM
(re: evo ayc unit and evo5/6 gearboxes)
oh i mean as a direct/ near direct fit replacement part. in new zealand the cool thing to do for teenagers is crash evos which are cheap as chips and twice as many. spares. i just bought a 96 legnum vr4 mt5, with the lovely cream leather, a week ago. its up on blocks already for a new clutch. looks like it will be a mare. i wanna subscribe. is there info that will help me in the members section?

richy rich
17-02-2006, 07:16 PM
(re: evo ayc unit and evo5/6 gearboxes)
oh i mean as a direct/ near direct fit replacement part. in new zealand the cool thing to do for teenagers is crash evos which are cheap as chips and twice as many. spares. i just bought a 96 legnum vr4 mt5, with the lovely cream leather, a week ago. its up on blocks already for a new clutch. looks like it will be a mare. i wanna subscribe. is there info that will help me in the members section?
yes there is plenty of info in the members sec

get your hand in your pocket it is well worth it